Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Grams Basepad

firematt100

Depending on what you're trying to do, a Grams pad might be your only solution. For instance, I just completed an SPS tube based 170mm mag, and a Grams 6.5 was the only real option to get the maximum length.

For a 170mm post-ban tube, you'll probably want a 4mm Grams pad. If fit properly, that should take you to 171 or so (which fits the gauge - you'll want to check that measurement with your parts, of course). For the other tubes, get what you're comfortable reloading with.

I like Dawson's pads, too - easy to remove, and tough material. They're the easiest to remove of the three biggies, but they're not *that* much easier to remove, in the end. Hard to remove is one that requires removing screws and such - none of the S_I pads that I know of do, so... If a Grams or Arredondo pad is too hard to remove, you're too damn lazy ;)

I actually use Arredondo pads on my short mags, right now. I use the flat (no capacity increase) pads on two mags, because I like how they feel for reloading. I like the feel of the shorter Grams pads 2nd best, and the Dawson short pads (+1 or +2) 3rd best. But - that's a small thing in terms of the reload, really, and its definitely a personal preference based on how they fit my hand.

Sounds like you have the sizes right, but are they available.

I've never used Grams basepads but it sounds like they may be in short supply.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...88&hl=grams

You should be able to find Grams basepads very easily as most of the shops have them in stock. The link above seems to be a different situation regarding developing a new type of basepad.

For open class and STI tubes

140mm tubes you want the 11mm pads

170mm tubes you want the 4mm pads. The 4mm pad may or may not fit the gauge depending on your mag body. You may have to do alittle work(extremely easy) to make it fit. The actual length is 171.25. I had to make a few swipes with a file to make it fit the gauge. About 2 mins of work.

Flyin40

For Open, I have both Grams and Dawsons. Mags come to the same length however the Grams pads let me load one more round than the Dawsons (in untuned tubes w/Grams springs & followers).

b

i just got 1 grams base pad from one of the guys i shoot with at are weekly ipsc shoots. nice pad only thing i didn't like about it was that they are plastic or the one i got is. i like the little heavier aluminum Dawson pads. but with the grams i was about to squeeze in 2 more rounds.

They are plastic, but bevin gives lifetime guarantees.

And you do want 4mm for the big sticks, all you have to do is file a little off the back side of the mag to make it fit the gauge.

• 3 weeks later...
Depending on what you're trying to do, a Grams pad might be your only solution. For instance, I just completed an SPS tube based 170mm mag, and a Grams 6.5 was the only real option to get the maximum length.

For a 170mm post-ban tube, you'll probably want a 4mm Grams pad. If fit properly, that should take you to 171 or so (which fits the gauge - you'll want to check that measurement with your parts, of course). For the other tubes, get what you're comfortable reloading with.

I like Dawson's pads, too - easy to remove, and tough material. They're the easiest to remove of the three biggies, but they're not *that* much easier to remove, in the end. Hard to remove is one that requires removing screws and such - none of the S_I pads that I know of do, so... If a Grams or Arredondo pad is too hard to remove, you're too damn lazy ;)

I actually use Arredondo pads on my short mags, right now. I use the flat (no capacity increase) pads on two mags, because I like how they feel for reloading. I like the feel of the shorter Grams pads 2nd best, and the Dawson short pads (+1 or +2) 3rd best. But - that's a small thing in terms of the reload, really, and its definitely a personal preference based on how they fit my hand.

Thank you for the info. You've enlightened more than one person today. Thanks again :D !

Grams pads are polycarbonate, the same material as most shooting glasses.

I put Grams internals and his 4mm basepad on my STI 170 & trimmed it slightly to fit the gage. Took the capacity from 27 [26 easy to seat] up to 29 [28 easy to seat] with normal, rimmed 38 Super ammo.

A lot of ppl use Grams internals and Dawson pad - it really just comes down to whether you want the pad to come off easy when not shooting, or if you want it to stay put no questions asked while you're shooting. One or the other, take your pick.

A lot of ppl use Grams internals and Dawson pad - it really just comes down to whether you want the pad to come off easy when not shooting, or if you want it to stay put no questions asked while you're shooting. One or the other, take your pick.

Been using Dawson pads on ALL of our open and limited mags for 6+ years and have NEVER had one come off when I didnt want it to. The Dawsons are definitely the more intelligent design and represent a much better value for the money. Dave and crew also stand behind their product and support the customer 100%. Check them out, you won't be sorry.

Edited by ipscbob