Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Glock Open Guns Worth Building?

mscott

for Major i have my doubts in everything holding up.

For shooting minor they work just fine ( dave sevigny was 5th at steel challenge with one)

shooting major is a lot different than shooting minor just make sure you have a good scope mount, the glock frames flex under recoil which is the bigest problem with getting them to run reliably over time... not to mention breaking c-mores and the ejection problem when you get a mount big enough to work with a C-more and not break it. Major is MUCH more violent than the minor loads.

Gettin' up near 20k of major PF rounds on my open 17L which was turned into an open gun after 20k+ of minor rounds on it in the way, way back.

I use a slide mounted (melted in) JPoint and think it's a better way to go than a frame mounted C-Less on a Glock. Once again, no issues whatsoever after almost 20k of 170 PF rounds on it.

I use a ported bbl only (don't want no big greezy comp up front) so the amount of recoil left in the gun is quite stout, but it shoots flat as a board :-)

I plan on shootin' it as is until it can't be shot anymore. I'll let y'all know when it can't take it anymore. So far, it looks to be quite a while before that happens.

BTW, this is a first generation single pin frame bought back in late 1988!

Glocks are a lot better built than you may think they are ;-)

Hmmmm ... I thought for sure that a frame mounted C-More would be the way to go. I have always had doubts to the J-Point type sights standing up to being battered on the slide. I guess that's what makes this forum so cool since you can get so many different points of view. I also never really considered a ported barrel instead of a comp., but I think I will go with a comp. if I decide to build one. Anyone else happy with a ported barrel?

I am not suggesting that only a ported bbl is worth doing, not at all. My point there is that without a comp on my gun, the recoil is a lot fiercer and that the gun and JPoint are still standing up to that versus a softer shooting comped bbl. This was in response to the post about Glocks maybe not being durable enough for Major PF in Open.

The melted into the slide JPoint has the added advantage of presenting exactly like iron sights on a Limited/Production gun so learning the C-More/Less "where's the dot, twist the wrist, oh there it is" drill is not required ;-)

George,

You must be extremely lucky with your JPoint since my Open Glock Optics haven’t held up well to the pounding from 9x19 Major loads. (2 Doctor Optik, 1 JPoint) I am planning on having another one built towards the end of the year and it will be equipped with a CMore.

• 2 weeks later...

I built one up using SJC parts and a KKM drop in barrel, 11lb ismi spring, tungsten guide rod, that aluminum comp is just too light out there and a Vanek Trigger. I was amazed at how the thing runs and how it keeps up with the 1911's, when it's shot properly, couldn't stay away from those white guys :)

Doug

Gettin' up near 20k of major PF rounds on my open 17L which was turned into an open gun after 20k+ of minor rounds on it in the way, way back.

I use a slide mounted (melted in) JPoint and think it's a better way to go than a frame mounted C-Less on a Glock. Once again, no issues whatsoever after almost 20k of 170 PF rounds on it.

I use a ported bbl only (don't want no big greezy comp up front) so the amount of recoil left in the gun is quite stout, but it shoots flat as a board :-)

I plan on shootin' it as is until it can't be shot anymore. I'll let y'all know when it can't take it anymore. So far, it looks to be quite a while before that happens.

BTW, this is a first generation single pin frame bought back in late 1988!

Glocks are a lot better built than you may think they are ;-)

George what kind of barrel are you using? Do you have any pics of your gun? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a pic of my open steel 17L. It has a storm lake 4 port barrel and S&J mount. It dislikes 147's/115's and Eats 125's. I have cut one link off the mount on the ejection side and lowered the port. As to the ejection...you will need to lengthen the ejector by a minor amount to get a better hit on the case. Take it out and heat it to cherry hot, then lay it on the anvil and peen it with a hammer. Should help with the ejection. I haven't tried to do major but minor is fun...even with pins at 20 yrds! Good luck

George what kind of barrel are you using? Do you have any pics of your gun? Thanks.

Barsto bbl in 9x21 (long story)

Here are some pics:

post-749-1159329101.jpg

post-749-1159329120.jpg

post-749-1159329137.jpg

The only changes since these photos were taken back in 03 was replacing the skateboard tape with a full set of EricW's True Grip pre-cut's. That and way, way over 10k rounds ;-)

Barsto bbl in 9x21 (long story)

Here are some pics:

post-749-1159329101.jpg

post-749-1159329120.jpg

post-749-1159329137.jpg

The only changes since these photos were taken back in 03 was replacing the skateboard tape with a full set of EricW's True Grip pre-cut's. That and way, way over 10k rounds ;-)

Thanks George!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been shooting an S & J Customs 17 for 5 or 6 months and love the gun. I mostly shoot steel with it, but shoot a few IPSC matches. I did finish in the top 32 at the Steel Challenge in California. I love the gun and am not the best one for cleaning a gun, and this one keeps going. The gun can be bought for about $2000 complete from S & J Customs. I think buying the gun complete from them is the way to go so you can be shooting instead of tweeking the gun. I love the stippled grip that John does too. My gun shoots any ammo that I have put through it. My STI has been in the safe since I got the S& J gun. Don't know if I will get it out again, unless to sell it. SAJ