Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack .40s&w

JakeMartens

Unless you are stocked up on 10mm components, just go with .40.

Using long loaded .40 in 10mm is NOT a good thing. The case will headspace on the extractor and the extractor (already the weak point) will take a beating. Add unreliable ignition along with questionable (headspace) accuracy and you have enough reasons not to do it. Since .40 brass is merely a fraction of the cost of 10mm, it makes little sense to go 10mm.

I have been shooting 10mm since way before the .40 was introduced and am a fan of the cartridge. The .40, when loaded long, can basically do about anything that a 10mm can do with much cheaper brass.

Works for me, breach face, extractor, ejector, magazines are all the same..

I bought a new barrel bushing too, so the 10MM would be already to shoot again if I ever wanted to. And I dropped the recoil spring from a 18.5 (stock 10MM spring) to a 12.5, and added a Magwell.

And you want a Dan Wesson over a STI Trojan or other native .40 single stack for what reason? :huh:

Actually if I was to get a custom/semi custom gun I would get a Nowlin in .40s&w.

I have a dealer here in town that is direct with CZ that I have dealt with several times in the past that gets me great deals (5-8% above cost) and I have a Para 16-40 Limited that I would be trading. I could get the razorback for trade and some cash ($100) and have a single stack, but I was thinking .40s&w and thougt if I just loaded it long I wouldn't have to change anything.

I have both an early Razorback and STI in .40S&W. I just changed the magazine catch in the STI with an Ed Brown so I could use regular 1911 .40S&W and 10MM magazines as the STI Mag Catch was holding regular mags so high the slide wouldn't close on the STI. I could of purchased regular .40STI mags or Tripp Mags cut for the STI Trojan, but I already had a supply of the regular .40S&W and 10MM mags. Current Razorbacks are still assembled in NY and use better parts than the first Razorbacks. STI would seem to be the better buy in the long run given parts like fiber optics and services, but be prepared to change out the mag catch.

on an STI also be prepared to have to send it to someone else so they can properly fit the barrel/ramp cut on your brand new $1,000 gun. They know there is a problem with the .40 Trojans and dont fix it, STI would be my dead last choice. There are enough .40 SS coming off the line from Kimber, Springfield, and many others I wouldnt waste my time.

Look for a used Springfield Loaded in .40. Mine has been as reliable as can be with all sorts of ammo configurations. I can't believe SA doesn't still offer it in their lineup. Maybe that will change with the single stack class coming about.

the razorback needs a ramp cut for the 40 caliber ammo

thus making the factory 10mm barrel a paperweight.

while there are some people that do it, i would not run a 1911 40 caliber w/o a supported barrel..