Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Defines A Full Open Pistol And What Would You Call This?

half inch groups

Its an open gun, factory or not it has a comp, but it is not competive, either in IPSC or Steel. Its pretty but time has passed it by. That is a perfect example of a early open gun(really when that gun was the hot setup there was no open or limited, there was just shootin). I believe guns should be shot, but I might make an exception for that one. Please dont go changeing or hacking on that gun, It should stay just as it is for another 30 years. Just the way I feel but I bet a lot of folks will agree with me.------Larry

Funny you mention not to shoot it. the seller says there's no real significant value to it as a commemorative pistol as I too asked about the shootability vs. collectability. He said to Shoot it. I was building an open kimber custom II, and I just recently purchased another 80's SA trophy match for $500 and was going to start working on it when I found this pistola with most of the modifications I was looking to do to the trophy match for about $175 more w all the bells and whistles except the few things I mentioned. What is so out dated about it? I understand it's no STI or Brazo, but I would figure it would take very little work to get it up to snuff. I have access to a full CNC shop and was thinking about "hacking" on another SA slide to lower the port, and possibly lightening/tightening of the slide as the original slide is so pretty. I too thought is was pretty, but hard chrome isn't for me. I'm trying to build a shooter on a limited budget and thought I was really 3/4's there for under $700 bucks.. So should I sit there and look at it, and just build the trophy match, or should I update this beauty and enjoy it? I too think guns are for shooting. I'm stuck with it as of tomorrow, so I sure would like any more advice on what you guys might do if you were in my shoes. this will be my 4th full size 1911, as I also own a kimber supermatch II stock to the bone and it's staying that way! I don't know which I enjoy more, building em or shooting em. I'm not a competitive guy, but I shoot pretty well according to most range officers and wanted to get into shooting steel and ipsc after blasting at the plates. Thank you for responding. I need as much guidance as I can get as a noob when it comes to raceguns.

You want to shoot OPEN? Sell off some of the stuff you never shoot. Don't buy this.

Buy the parts to build an Open Gun (S_I frame, slide, barrel, comp, C-More, internals), do it a piece at a time if you have to. Find a good local pistolsmith, you can get a good, reliable, gun built at less than arm and leg prices. Where are you located, someone on this board knows of a good 'smith near you.

Look around at used current open guns. You can find many good deals on guns that are not being shot, or are being replaced for something newer and flashier.

Good luck.

I don't have anything real constructive to add, but I think it is interesting that a pistol built in 1991 uses the stabilized front sight on the comp similar to the "new" concept (at least new to me) of the sight tracker guns. The more we change.... :)

thanks everybody, but I sent the gun to RIID in trade for a beautiful L-10 SA .38 super he built for L-10 but I'm having him retrofit me a knowlin barrel and custom coned comp cut and koted to match the flattened french cut he did on the rest of the gun. I'm thinkin about removing the bomars and throwin em on a different .45 slide like my custom II,

and throw a C-more on the new .38s. I will use my super match II .45 for L-10, and my custom II for stock. I didnt want to butcher a peice of history that really wasnt going to perform like a gun built right from a reputable shooter and smith.. From my understanding the .38 super is a great load to compensate due to the high pressure of the round.

• 4 weeks later...

I was a chief range officer for the steel challenge in 91. There were in fact 10 guns specially built as prize guns for said match. I won't comment further as some shaky things went on at that time. I don't believe SA ever made more than the original 10 but I may be wrong. Your friend is not misleading you, there were 10 built as your friend stated just for the challenge that year.

Uggg!

You don't want a .38 Super for Limited or Limited-10, because in those divisions, .40 is the minimum caliber which can be scored Major.

If you're going to shoot a single stack, it's only going to be competitive in L-10 or single stack division, and it's only going to score Major if it's a .40 or .45.

pull the comp off, cut the barrel have it recrown'd and you will have the perfect gun for USPSA single stack class!

Why go through all the hazzel? Get a new barrel for it. $200 bucks and you are done. Then just shoot single stack with it. Get yourself some 8 round mags (about 4 at least), the mag holders for your belt and you are ready to go.

I sold an old 45 comp gun to a guy last year he came over to the house and we were going through the safe and he saw it. It was hard chromed and had a full profile comp. He asked if I wanted to sell it and I told him he didn't want it to shoot IPSC with because it just wasn't competive. For the next two weeks he begged me to sell him that gun and even after me telling him he didn't want it , I gave up and sold it to him for what the parts would have cost back years ago. He is not an IPSC shooter and he loves the gun. He moved and took it to some gunsmith he knows from his hometown he called me and told me that the guy looked up all the parts at current prices and he tried to give me more money because he felt he had screwed me. Long story short if you ask for advice on this board you need to listen. The people here are telling you the TRUTH.

Long story short if you ask for advice on this board you need to listen. The people here are telling you the TRUTH.

I have been listening. the problem is everyone here isnt! I want to shoot steel. I'm not interested in USPSA or Ipsc. I'm looking at the SC or the Bianchi games. thats why I bought a .38 super. I have 3 other .45 1911's and I also have an HK USP Expert .40 if I'm interested in powerfactor. I just want to knock the plates down as fast I can. I am not nearly as competitive as a lot of you pros are. I am listening though, but I cant deny I'm in this for fun. I like building stuff and I really love shooting. I'm not at all interested in shooting .38sa w/o the gun comped. besides the open class (which i totally expect to get smoked) I plan to shoot stock, Limited 10, or possibly tactical since no one really shoots it. I have seen the prize tables at these things, and If I can take home a gun or loader etc.. for spending $750.. Its all for fun. Heres what RIID built me so far... still need a c-more, and yes I'll change the grips for competition, but they sure are classy to me.. notice the french cut and the flattened slide? I think its a classy performance steel gun. When I want to get a real racer I'll buy a Benny, or brazo, or possibly JVDynamics. I'm almost ready for a 2011, I just love my 1911's

attachment_2.php.gif

attachment_4.php.gif

If it were mine, it'd be simple. Put an optic on it (C-more for me) and use it for steel. Downloaded, lightweight .45 is just fine for shooting steel. Is it as fast as .38 Super or 9mm? Probably not. But it's a nice gun to start out with and definitely will help shorten the learning curve.

When you want to move up, just build a replacement upper.

Option # 2, to preserve the pistol's lineage, have a replacement barrel made with a front sight post on a compensator with no ports (see STI's Trusight...or whatever it's called). It's probably legal in L-10.

Rich

Anyone ever thought they should make a Division just for this? I mean these are clasics, like the single stack division. Have an Open Iron sights single stack division?? I think that would be kind of cool.

LoL! Here's mine! What would you call that division??!! :P

Classic Division! Anything goes, no optics??

post-9131-1160284464.jpg

Anyone ever thought they should make a Division just for this? I mean these are clasics, like the single stack division. Have an Open Iron sights single stack division?? I think that would be kind of cool.

LoL! Here's mine! What would you call that division??!! :P

Classic Division! Anything goes, no optics??

Exactly! Call it whatever but it would be really neat to see one of these guns beat optics!

If it were mine, it'd be simple. Put an optic on it (C-more for me) and use it for steel. Downloaded, lightweight .45 is just fine for shooting steel. Is it as fast as .38 Super or 9mm? Probably not. But it's a nice gun to start out with and definitely will help shorten the learning curve.

When you want to move up, just build a replacement upper.

Option # 2, to preserve the pistol's lineage, have a replacement barrel made with a front sight post on a compensator with no ports (see STI's Trusight...or whatever it's called). It's probably legal in L-10.

Rich

I am going to throw a c-more on it and it will be my open steel gun until I get myself a S_I 2011. I will run L-10 w my kimber supermatch II, stock i'll run my custom II, and for tactical I'll run w my USP since it has a rail on her. I just love the work RIID did to the .38sa. I think she's a beautiful custom racer.

Yes. :)

Vintage Open. :D

FM

funny.. thats why I bought another drop in comped barrel. for the custom II complete w an expanded magwell. she's got combat sites on her now, but in a month she'll have bomars. perfect for an ol school match! lets set this up! how do we do it? single stack iron site comped division? :blink::blink: bought a caspian frame and slide last night, so I think a real open gun in coming soon. think I'm sending the parts off to kings or Ed Hogue and see what he wants to do with it. possibly JVdynamics.. we'll see

Yes. :)

Vintage Open. :D

FM

funny.. thats why I bought another drop in comped barrel. for the custom II complete w an expanded magwell. she's got combat sites on her now, but in a month she'll have bomars. perfect for an ol school match! lets set this up! how do we do it? single stack iron site comped division? :blink::blink: bought a caspian frame and slide last night, so I think a real open gun in coming soon. think I'm sending the parts off to kings or Ed Hogue and see what he wants to do with it. possibly JVdynamics.. we'll see

I guess we would have to break out the old videos of TGO and BE to figure out what to do!! :D:D

I have that video from the 80's with BE, TGO, Plaxco, Chip, and some others. Anyone got an old SIG 210 set up like that one from back in the day?? :P