Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Can't Believe I Ordered The Whole Thing.

Ok folks you went and did it this time.

I have been wearing my arm out on a 550B for some time now. I have always looked at the sexy 1050 pics in the catalog (of course after proper oogling of the dillion girl du jour). Reality was the 650 would have met all my needs. Problem is I kept reading posts on the lauding the 1050 and waffleing. Then it happened.

One afternoon.. There I was at work and a lapse of self control washed over my body. Before I knew what was happening I was on Brian website looking at the 1050 pages. No harm I will just drool a little more. Then I decided to see what an order would cost out at. Hmm more than the 650 I need but definately can grow into it. Then everything went black.

It was like when you have been driving down the interstate for a while and look up and wonder where the last 5 miles went. I looked at the desk and my wallet was out and a credit card lay tossed to the side :o

The I looked at the screen and a Thank you for your order message was displayed :blink:

Then I realized that my inner self had taken control and done what my logical self could not bring itself to do.

I Purchased a 1050 setup in 38SC and a conversion for 40sc. Look out world I am dangerous now.

Brian was the best. He called to double check the order and fill in a couple of small gaps. First time I have talked to him and can now say I agree that he is one of the nicest folks I have had the pleaseure of dealing with. If only all other businesses were this great on customer service. (Note. Generally I have noticed the shooting industry tends this way.) I would place Brian right up at the top of any list in that area.

All my future Dillion orders and such go thought Brian now. If you want a hassle free deal and great personal service..... Don't even think about ordering through anyone else.

YE HAAAAAA!

Steven

Yeah I go through my impulse shopping binges. Problem is the usual scenario is I get it in my head I want something. It takes me a month or two of research on every nit noid detail. The another month to convert want to need. Finally there is a flurry of purchasing that same thing I wanted 3 months ago. LOL!

Can't wait till it get here and I start cranking rounds. Of course I am going to have to invite the shooting buds over for a cookout or something and let them notice it on thier own Muwahhha hha hhahh...

Steven

Ha I solved that problem 9 years ago. I realized being married was not conducive to having harmony in my shooting desires.

That and I caught her sleeping with her boss ( the principle of the school she worked at).

Sounds horrible bt it was the best thing to happen to me. I got custody of our daughter and she pays me Child support. My daughter and I have never been happier.

Steven

Ok so here is the update.

Took a little longer to setup than I thought. I tried to follow the assembly instructions from the manual. However, the exploded diagrams in the back were clearer to me and I used the text only as guidance on what to do next.

I forgot to get 1/4" bolts of course so had to wait till the next day to make it past the hardware store. :wacko:

I spent most of my time trying to figure out the powder checking mounting. Do not like the way it has to be rigged for the 1050. Never did get it to consistently hold and finally it looseened enough to snap the palstic case off. I will have to re-engineer that thing.

I also swapped out the seater for the redding one I had on hand. Of course meticulously set the depth and then adjust the mic ro read the actual OAL. Of course I forgot and did this with no cases in the other stations so once the carosel was loaded I was off. I just adjusted it and decided to heck with beign anal about the actual rading on the mic. :lol:

Now I setup the powder , loaded a tube of primers, loaded the case feeder, and spritz one-shot on them. And away we go... LOL I cranked out 10 or so rounds. The remember I said I loaded a primer tube... well I didn't put them in the primer feed in my exuberance to start laoding. :blink: O fcourse powder and crap everywhere now. sigh.

Some cleanup time, loaded the primer mechanism and tried again. I cranked out 800 rounds of perfect ammo before a problem. after the downstroke I would lift the handle and it would hang. Checked powder measure,primer slide,case feed, etc. all were ok. Applied a little more pressure and it released. checked for high primer but nothing. Did it 3 more time before I found out it was the dang ratchet. tightened the setscrew and all was well then it did it again after 300 more rounds. Either I am loctiting the set screw or it has to go.

This is a fantastic machine. Not one case misfeed or one primer problem. I was Qualtiy control checking 5 of 100 rounds and it got boring because they were all the same.

Next feat will be to try a caliber change to 40 from 38

My advice is get a 1050.... It is the shiznit.

Steven

Thanks for the follow up John.

Maybe Gary [dillon] will see this and offer some advice for the Powder Check System. If he doesn't, give Dillon a call and see what they have for you. (I never used it on the 1050 so I'm clueless.)

be

Ha I solved that problem 9 years ago. I realized being married was not conducive to having harmony in my shooting desires.

That and I caught her sleeping with her boss ( the principle of the school she worked at).

Sounds horrible bt it was the best thing to happen to me. I got custody of our daughter and she pays me Child support. My daughter and I have never been happier.

Steven

I'd still would have to explain myself, but I am in the 1st month stage. :D

I would be going from a RL550b to either a XL650 or Super 1050. :rolleyes:

I will be in touch. I want to know how much you like yours!!! :lol:

Ok so here is the update.

Took a little longer to setup than I thought. I tried to follow the assembly instructions from the manual. However, the exploded diagrams in the back were clearer to me and I used the text only as guidance on what to do next.

I forgot to get 1/4" bolts of course so had to wait till the next day to make it past the hardware store. :wacko:

I spent most of my time trying to figure out the powder checking mounting. Do not like the way it has to be rigged for the 1050. Never did get it to consistently hold and finally it looseened enough to snap the palstic case off. I will have to re-engineer that thing.

I also swapped out the seater for the redding one I had on hand. Of course meticulously set the depth and then adjust the mic ro read the actual OAL. Of course I forgot and did this with no cases in the other stations so once the carosel was loaded I was off. I just adjusted it and decided to heck with beign anal about the actual rading on the mic. :lol:

Now I setup the powder , loaded a tube of primers, loaded the case feeder, and spritz one-shot on them. And away we go... LOL I cranked out 10 or so rounds. The remember I said I loaded a primer tube... well I didn't put them in the primer feed in my exuberance to start laoding. :blink: O fcourse powder and crap everywhere now. sigh.

Some cleanup time, loaded the primer mechanism and tried again. I cranked out 800 rounds of perfect ammo before a problem. after the downstroke I would lift the handle and it would hang. Checked powder measure,primer slide,case feed, etc. all were ok. Applied a little more pressure and it released. checked for high primer but nothing. Did it 3 more time before I found out it was the dang ratchet. tightened the setscrew and all was well then it did it again after 300 more rounds. Either I am loctiting the set screw or it has to go.

This is a fantastic machine. Not one case misfeed or one primer problem. I was Qualtiy control checking 5 of 100 rounds and it got boring because they were all the same.

Next feat will be to try a caliber change to 40 from 38

My advice is get a 1050.... It is the shiznit.

Steven

I nearly pissed my pants laughing. :D It's funny how anticipation to a good thing can get you to do the silliest of things. I'm happy for you. God willing I will have a nice little package under the tree for me this year. :lol:

Taz..

I have loaded on a Lyman Single stage, Lyman T-Mag, Hornady Pro-jector, 550B,650 (friends) and now the 1050.

I would have saved myself alot of time and grief if I had just went straight to the 550B starting out and once I had one or two calibers that are 90% of my shooting get the 1050.

It is an awsome machine with a great feel. Can I justify the cost? Not really but then again I have a gun safe full of things I can't justify the cost on. LOL!

I just changed the 1050 over from 38SC to 40SW. It took me 1 hour and that was setting up new dies along with changing the press over. I figure once I get used to it I could do it in 15-30 mins. I am using it to load 2-3000 of a caliber then swap for the other. Puts me swapping calibers once a month.

If you have 1 or two calibers that handle 90% of your ammo needs and already have another general press I would go for the 1050.

Steven

Edited by standles