Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beta Mag

Brian Payne

Just received one of these as a gift. Did a search and got a lot of good information. Just a couple of questions for the more experianced.

I have read to fill it up with dry graphite. It comes with two tubes and I am sure the comment is not meant to literally fill'er up with that stuff. Just a couple of puffs of graphite enough? Just enough to cover the metal rollers (they look like grey shells)? What is the correct amount?

I put several puffs of graphite in it, then loaded sixty rounds. Will leave it for a couple of days, then shoot the heck out of it. I hope it is reliable as I plan to bring it to RM3G just in case.

Thanks in advance.

Interesting thing I saw at the MG Nationals a couple weeks ago was the AMU all sharing a single Beta-C and just crammin' rounds into it before each of them was up. I never saw them lubing it and when I mentioned graphiting these things they seemed to not be concerned or have heard about it being a good idea. It did run well the whole match for all three of them. They used it on almost every rifle stage in the match so I guess it's a little more reliable when dry than I thought ;-)

the AMU all sharing a single Beta-C and just crammin' rounds into it before each of them was up. I never saw them lubing it and when I mentioned graphiting these things they seemed to not be concerned or have heard about it being a good idea. It did run well the whole match for all three of them. They used it on almost every rifle stage in the match so I guess it's a little more reliable when dry than I thought ;-)

Same thing at the Arkansas 3 gun match. All 3 of them used the heck out of it and I never saw them do anything but stick more ammo in it. I was always leary of them, but after seeing them use one, I am ready to pick one up for my own use. I talked to Horner and Robby Johnson about it and they really like it. I'm gonna give it a try.

Live by the Beta...Die by the Beta

Is the risk worth the reward? You decide. :ph34r:

Erik

The "cool" factor alone makes this worthwhile .... :lol:

I've voted for the Beta, but don't hesitate to use cinched mags if an easy reload is in the stage. I'm also not willing to drop mine. :o And a couple of reliable 40's go a long way too.

I like the Beta mags, but don't use mine when there is ample time to reload. If they are kept clean and well maintained, they seem to work very well. I'm a fanatic about maintaining mine and I only recall one minor malfuction during a course of fire in 6-7 years. They can also be a great platform to shoot off of with some shooting positions. Also, I can say that I have seen far more 40 round magazines fail than Betas. Use a Lula Loader to help avoid damaging the Beta's feed lips.

That said, I wouldn't think about dropping one and I think they are way too fickle and fragile for real combat.

One other thing: If you haven't located your manual yet, it is under a velcro flap in the pouch.

Edited by rmfield

Hey.....the Army team is shooting one squad ahead of us and yup, same thing......all 3 using the same mag......no graphite ( well not much anyways). Working fine, no hicups (so far). I saw this post before the match, so when I saw them all using the same mag I had to aske some questions......no they have not taken it apart and when I asked that, the one guys eyes opened up and said, it was NOT to be taken apart :lol: I also asked if they ever put graphite in it......and they replied, every once in a while, the thing is sealed, where is all the excess graphite go? in the bottom, we shake it around, it gets to where it needs to go.

Well......3 or four matches.....all 3 guys using the same mag..no hiccups....whose gonna argue with that???

Hey.....the Army team is shooting one squad ahead of us and yup, same thing......all 3 using the same mag......no graphite ( well not much anyways). Working fine, no hicups (so far). I saw this post before the match, so when I saw them all using the same mag I had to aske some questions......no they have not taken it apart and when I asked that, the one guys eyes opened up and said, it was NOT to be taken apart :lol: I also asked if they ever put graphite in it......and they replied, every once in a while, the thing is sealed, where is all the excess graphite go? in the bottom, we shake it around, it gets to where it needs to go.

Well......3 or four matches.....all 3 guys using the same mag..no hiccups....whose gonna argue with that???

The manual that came with my Beta recommends taking it apart (partially) and cleaning it periodically. Its not hard and the instructions are very clear. It manual also provides instructions on where and how much graphite to use. Based on this, I would say the Army folks are running a little less graphite than recommended.

Well......Mike.....your assumption may just be corect. Their mag did infact hiccup today (made a brown spot in the bed, if ya know what I mean)......no, Daniel Horner was not shooting it at the time. So they went to their back up mags and seem to be doing well.

• 2 weeks later...

I used it on two stages at the Rocky Mountain 3-gun. Worked great on the first stage, had a double feed on the second stage. Didn't bother me too much as I was already shooting the worst match of my very short three gun career.

I used the beta mag only because my son was also shooting the match and we were using the same magazines. Took too much time to reload two cinched mags so I thought I would just let my son use those and I would switch to the Beta mag. Stage 1 was my final stage and it called for shooting from some positions that I was having trouble getting into due to somehow injuring my left knee in an earlier stage. I thought if it jammed I wasn't going to worry about it.

I wish I had read the last post about the beta mags not liking 55 grn. bullets as all I had too shoot was American Eagle 55 grn fmj ammo.

I used it on two stages at the Rocky Mountain 3-gun. Worked great on the first stage, had a double feed on the second stage. Didn't bother me too much as I was already shooting the worst match of my very short three gun career.

I used the beta mag only because my son was also shooting the match and we were using the same magazines. Took too much time to reload two cinched mags so I thought I would just let my son use those and I would switch to the Beta mag. Stage 1 was my final stage and it called for shooting from some positions that I was having trouble getting into due to somehow injuring my left knee in an earlier stage. I thought if it jammed I wasn't going to worry about it.

I wish I had read the last post about the beta mags not liking 55 grn. bullets as all I had too shoot was American Eagle 55 grn fmj ammo.

I did enjoy you shooting off hand for the last half of stage one. Shooting with you and your son was a joy at RM3G. He gave me a run for my money in iron class, I'm glad he waited till the last rifle stage to switch to regular iron sights, that is the only thing that saved me. Damn that globe sight back to your .308 :D:P If that was my son I know I would be a very proud papa. Maybe he can give me some shotgun lessons, that kid can work a shotgun. Hope to see you guys at SMM3G.

Jay

Jay,

Thanks a lot! I am very proud of my son. The young man had a great time, and so did I. It was great being in that squad. We both learned a lot. He is hoping that next year he can give you a little more competition :D

Hope to see you at a match soon.

Brian

They have mucho trouble with commercial 55gr of nearly any flavor.

Paul- Any thoughts on why? The itch for a beta mag is growing, but it's pointless if they won't run American Eagle 55g fmj ammo.

Thanks

Not really sure, but it has been consistent. I have sent several back to have them checked out. No change that I could discern. I shoot mostly Black Hills 52gr HP and 50gr VMAX in matches for short range stages and I can bet money they will puke before a 40-rd stage is over. I have tried a variety of 55gr FMJ loads, none ran 100%. With M855 they will always run fine. I have tried BH 69 gr and BH 77gr and they do fine as well. I get double feeds (two live rounds), so I don't think it's the mag body, more likely the replaceable piece with the feedlips. I have replaced these more than once though, problem persists with the lower velocity 50-55 gr loads.

AE 55 gr might work fine. It's a fairly hot load, but I have seen a lot of blown primers with AE, so I don't plan to go there.

I have never had any trouble with the one I have. It will feed 55gr anything. I even had a very mild 55gr at 2900 and it ran them with no problem. I have noticed many of the feed towers aren't real square to the carrier and sometimes will drag. A great way to test this is found on J.P. Enterprizes instructions for the CR02 rifle. Next the feed tower has to be square to the drum body! And use pleanty of graphite!! Use a LULA to prevent excess wear on the feed lips, use pleanty of graphite. I have been able to get all the ones I have tried to run 100% with just these few steps. KURTM

Good suggestions! Thanks Kurt.

I will give them a try and see if I can get better service with lighter loads. They already have enough graphite to simulate fairy dust if you hold them upside down and shake, so I will save that for last. I never thought about squaring the towers to the bodies. Would be nice if they were 100%.