Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Powder Is There A Best?

steel1212

Is there a Consensus as to what is the best? I currently use titegroup but was wondering if there was something that is the goldern child or more consistent from summer to winter. I'm not saying titegroup isn't just have not used any loads over winter yet...still a noobie.

You're not going to find any consensus because powder selection is an extremely subjective thing. It depends on your gun, what you want to feel, bullet selection, etc.

I didn't like the snappy feel of TG in my gun and it seemed to burn dirty at the low pressure in .45acp. Clays with a 230gr. bullet has a nice soft recoil to me and burns cleaner. N310 is like Clays in feel and seems more consistent. I shoot Clays because I'm too cheap to buy VV powders! :lol: I've done all my chrono readings when it's hot, since that's the weather in south Texas 90% of the year, so I can't tell you how cold effects velocity. I'll have to remember to check during our 2 weeks of winter. :D

FWIW, I use 230gr jacketed bullets (Hornady HAP or Zero), 4.1gr. Clays, 1.125" OAL, Federal primer, and any brass I find laying around.

Hmm, I think this is the third time I've posted this, but here's what Rob Leatham had to say on the subject.

My experience mirrors AustinMike's, except I load 4.0 grains of Clay's under a Rainier 230 (copper plated) at 1.260". I also run a 14# recoil-spring and a 17# mainspring in a 5" 1911. After much experimentation I've found this to be the best setup FOR ME. YMMV

Ed

Another vote for Clays. It is all I use now for target and competition loads.

I didn't like TG in anything I tried it in. I tried to like it but after 3 pounds and still not finding loads that were as consistent as I want and they still felt bad I gave up. TG=fertilizer as far as I am concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

clays, berrys 185 grain flat point.

4.9 grains, i forgot the OAL, but its shorter than 230 ball ammo.( edit, 1.220)

federal 150 primer.. about 167 power factor.

clays. 3.8 grains precision 230 bullet

1.220 oal

federal 150 primer

about 171 power factor in my gun

clays, 4.0 grains, 230 berrys double struck,

1.2550 oal. federal 150 primer

about 172 power factor.

my gun is a 5 inch 1911 with a springfield barrel. 15 pound spring, shock buff and a 20 pound mainspring. these loads All shoot really soft and are super clean.

velocities taken at about 300 ft above sea level at 100 degrees F. i dont know how much temperature would affect things. . . WST Did silly things when the temp changed.

for me CLAYS is the ticket for 45 acp

Edited by Harmon

I readily admit it.. I'm cheap..

Cheapest powder I can get.. doesn't seem to matter. I've tried 5 or 6.. I can't tell any difference..

TiteGoup wins. It may be dirtier, or it might not, but not dirty enough to hurt reliability after 500 rounds.

Titegroup didn't really impress me in 45 at all.

( I finally found another load for minor 40 that it does work pretty well in though. )

Currently loading Vectan/Noblesport BA-10 ( similar in burn rate to Clays ) under 230's .

Clays is THE cleanest powder ever in 45 and would be an excellent choice.

I still think Bullseye would be my next choice after Clays , It's a little dirty , has a little more muzzle flash than some other powders ( daylight outdoors you would never notice ),

But it's so easy to work with , It's tough to find a bad load over a sensible amount of Bullseye from 185 - 230 Gr. bullets.

LONGSHOT is great for firebreathing pin loads . Not really suited to IPSC shooting .

Loud , bright muzzle flash , maximum velocity , very manly . Chicks dig it .

Travis F.

I like the Clays but I load Zero 230 gr JHPs. When I use the FMJs, I get a lot of smoke due to the exposed lead at the base of the bullet. With the JHPs, all I get is a soft recoiling, low noise, near smokeless launch. :)

Edited by XD Niner