Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home Owners Associations

Fireant

I'm really tired of small minded people that are so insecure with themselves, that they want to dictate everything in the neighborhood. Where did my for sale sign go? Oh, that's right it didn't meet the guide lines! Argh!

Want to piss the homeowners association off become a ham radio operator and put a tower in your back yard. Then let them try telling you about antenna rules and regs. Opps sorry we are protected! It pissed mine off but I camo'd all my stuff to make my wife happy!

I'm really tired of small minded people that are so insecure with themselves, that they want to dictate everything in the neighborhood. Where did my for sale sign go? Oh, that's right it didn't meet the guide lines! Argh!

I am with you Fireant. I am having a big problem with my HOA because I tried help out my ex Brother in law and move his double wide in behind my house. They bitched and bitched so much he ended up just taking his 7 kids and leaving.... Now they are giving me daily grief about getting the rest of his cars and his two dump trucks out of the yard. I wish they would mind their own business..... <_<

Tightloop,

I belong to a loose-knit sort of Redneck HOA. I came home to find where the building and grounds committee had stuck a used paper plate to my front door with a Bowie knife. The note on it read " Yer 3 broke-down-cars-on-blocks shy of yer quota. Are ya trying to make us look poor, Mister Hoity Toity? If we hav'ta take up a collection and haul some over there, yer gonna have to pay fer the tow truck!"

I'm keeping the knife. (the bar-b-que sauce on it was awesome!)

I'm not sweating it. The State Fair demo derby is in two weeks. I'll get re-decorated for free.

Tightloop,

I belong to a loose-knit sort of Redneck HOA. I came home to find where the building and grounds committee had stuck a used paper plate to my front door with a Bowie knife. The note on it read " Yer 3 broke-down-cars-on-blocks shy of yer quota. Are ya trying to make us look poor, Mister Hoity Toity? If we hav'ta take up a collection and haul some over there, yer gonna have to pay fer the tow truck!"

I'm keeping the knife. (the bar-b-que sauce on it was awesome!)

I'm not sweating it. The State Fair demo derby is in two weeks. I'll get re-decorated for free.

you're so bad!

HOA's usually protect your property values.

Some HOA's are to extreme for me; if I can't funtion test a blaster into a ditch the night before a match, why live there? :P

Read the covenenents and restrictions several times before you make an offer.

If you do not understand them ask your Realtor® or seek legal counsel before you make an offer. :)

FM

You might try something similar to what I just did. My girlfriend and I just purchased three of the 5 lots which comprise our new neighborhood. We are three fifths of the HOA.

We decided it was okay for us to have a practice range.... :)

Front man, I understood and agreed to the original covennents. It's the new ones that are proposed and now underhandedly passed that I have a problem with. I understand the idea behind HOA. Does it really protect home values if someone's boat trailer is two inches over the concrete pad or if my paid off 12 year old truck offends someones eyes to look at it? (All of which can not be seen unless you go down the 1/2 mile private drive way and into the back of my house) All I'm saying is in this area it seems like the only people on the boards of HOA are people that need a hobby of some kind so they will mind there own business. So much for private property in some parts of the country now!

And this is likely why I will never buy a condo. I hear THEIR little boards of directors (or whatever they are) are even WORSE!!!! :wacko:

Some HOAs do indeed protect property values in certain housing developments where that is a critical concern... but sometimes it's overkill. And then there are the damn' dues!! <_<

I'm completely in favor of neighborhood covenants so long as they are made clear prior to the sale of any property in the neighborhood. The problem I'm having is with the small towns around here deciding that they need to enact all sorts of restrictions after the fact leaving property owners to decide if they want to fall in line with whatever arbitrary beautification rule s they come out with or move. In the last year we've gotten no cars in the street or yard, garbage cans can not be visible from the road, garbage cans can not remain out for more than 24 hrs, rottweilers and pitbulls have been outlawed, no tree houses in the front yard, no spacewalks or other kids party stuff in front yards, etc. etc. In general, I'm actually in favor of most of these but it just worries me that things like this can be enacted so quickly after the fact. I know it won't be long before the camper trailer in my driveway (in the side yard behind the house) offends someone or they decide my bushes are too bushy, etc.

Wanna piss of an HOA, put an old Army 2.5ton truck in your front yard on blocks. When they threaten to have it towed, ask them what they plan on towing it with. Most towing companies won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Those suckers are HEAVY.

2.5 ton Army surplus truck ... $500

12 concrete blocks ... $120

watching the tow company tell the president of your HOA he doesn't have anything BIG enough to move the truck out of your yard ... priceless

Edited by tomfturner