Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Bullet To Use For Open

Colvis

Specifically, in .355 diameter, what bullet should I be loading with in .38 Super (Not SC).

Should I use 9mm in 115 grains, 124 grains, 125 grains (is there that much difference in 124 to 125?)?

I'm confused...

I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between the 124 and 125.

Going with a 115 grain bullet allows you to use more powder, which creates more gas and will work the comp a little more. However, you're working with a lot more pressure which will increase the wear on the gun. I've also heard that the gun might be a little less stable especially around barriers or whenever you might be a little off balance.

Thanks for the replies. Things seemed a lot easier in Limited with a .40, I just shot what worked and made Major pf.

In Open, there's a lot to consider with the comps, the pressures, the recoil, etc.

Thanks for the replies. Things seemed a lot easier in Limited with a .40, I just shot what worked and made Major pf.

In Open, there's a lot to consider with the comps, the pressures, the recoil, etc.

Yeah, but the secret is it doesn't matter all that much. You can get 90+% of the way to as-good-as-it-gets by picking about any popular Open load. The rest of the way is familiarity with that load. TGO kicked butt with 135 grain bullets in Open for a while. Now he's using 115's. For a while he won with 124's too. TJ uses the 121.. Max shoots a 125..

So if you guys don't mind expanding...

I've got Montana Golds on the way (115 JHP's) and Vihtavuori N350.

What are some loads you guys use with this combination (in Super not SC)?

Give me some other loads with other bullet weights as well. I'll try them all!!!!

The data on this forum is perhaps more current - but Jeff's compilations give you a lot of options in one place to compare/contrast. You have to keep in mind that those are all "pet" loads that people contributed, and are highly dependant upon their firearms, etc - but it'll give you a starting point.

.38 Super should have very similar loads to SuperComp - might take a tenth or two more of the same powder in the same gun (due to increased case volume), but maybe not... General rule of thumb for Super-ish cartridges is to use a slow-ish powder, with whatever weight bullet. There are lots of choices, of course :) The best part is - you're not going to pack a double charge into these cases using slow powder, so... :)

I'll throw my $0.02 in.

My Open gun was designed around shooting the old 175PF. All the porting and comp were done for that reason. Too, the load that worked the best, in performance of the gun, accuracy of the pistol and working the comp and ports was the 124 CMJ from MGB.

When the power factor was reduced, it seemed like a simple solution. Drop the powder charge and that was fine. Just felt soft but the gun felt a little sluggish. So about a 3 years ago, I tried the 115 CMJ's and dropped the recoil spring and put in a Sprinco. Long story short, it's back to working the comp and ports the way it should and with the reduced recoil spring, the slide is smooth and fast.

The basis is that by dropping the bullet weight, I increase the gas volume to and thus making use of the amount of porting and comp. Too the pistol has always been a tack driver and is back to doing it again.

I want to try out the MGB 121's as they're supposed to be super accurate. Makes sense since they're basically a JHP with the HP filled in. Nice stability.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure the 125's are for .356 barrels while the 124's are for .355. Not that it makes a huge difference, but enough to keep using the 124's...if I was using them.

Depending on where you're located, ask and see if you can grab a handful of bullets from friends and try some loads and play with the timing of the gun. 1k bullets is cheap and so if you want to test more, it's not a bad idea to do so.

Hope that helped.

Rich

I always felt the gun was more stable with less dot movement with 115s but hit you hard in the hands and elbows, the 124s were a lot softer but the dot moved a lot more.-----Larry

+1

Perceptible - but not orders-of-magnitude - difference in recoil impulse...but significant difference in dot track (in my DragonCat/hybrid-ported blaster). YMMV, but I'll take a more stable dot over wrist and elbow damage :P

I've got Montana Golds on the way (115 JHP's) and Vihtavuori N350...

What are some loads you guys use with this combination (in Super not SC)?

Give me some other loads with other bullet weights as well. I'll try them all!!!!

N350 w/155 MT Gold JHP's... 8.9 gr in my hybrid, 8.6 in my non-hybrid, for ~1480 fps and 170PF

With 124's, I back these both down 0.4 to 0.5 gr (e.g. 8.4gr N350 under a 124) for 169-170PF.

All are Win cases w/Fed 205 SR primers.