Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 11-87 For 3 Gun

cmzneb

I am looking at a used Remington 11-87 for 3 gun competition. I shoot in the Limited/Stock class.

Is this a decent gun? Any Problems?

Price on this gun is $449, is this decent? (Gun looks to be in great shape) I believe it has a 28" barrel, chambered for 3" mag or 2 3/4" shells. Black synthetic stock.

What do these typically cost new? Best I can find they look like they are around $650 new.

I shoot only 6 matches per year, so this is the max I will consider spending for a shotgun, so please don't tell me about the race Benelli I should build :D

Thanks!

I've been using one for several years and they are good guns. If you get a chance check out the left handed models. Reason being if you load with the left hand the bolt is right there and its a simple manuever to put a round in. All done without twisting or turning the gun. Add a speed gate, some XS system ghost/post sights, and a tube extension then turn on the after burners...lol

I paid $300 for a used 1100 at Cabelas here after a little haggling. Gun show prices around here are typically in the 350-400 dollar range, at least when I was shopping last year. $449 seems kind of high, but maybe it's in superb condition. The barrel might prove a little too long for 3-gun, but you can always have it cut back and threaded for chokes.

Since I only work as a roofer 6 times a year, I only need to get the cheap, hard to use hammer. :lol:

I have found Benellis for around that price range ($500.00 used), and you don't have to do a thing to them. they are much more "race ready" Than a Remmy out of the used box!

i have a buddy that told me a great story once...... he has a van, that he bought cheap, that he likes to use for construction work, because it keeps his tools and equipment dry, in bad weather, and safe when its parked somewhere.

but the transmission doesn't work, and keeps failing to stay in gear, so he loses alot of work because he can't get to the jobsite.

i thought that was the best story about reliable equipment,that costs more versus equipment you like and can save money on, that i'd ever heard.

if you really want to shoot 3 gun, i'm sure there would be someone at a match that would allow you to borrow a shotgun, while you save money for the best you can get.

i hope no offense has been taken......if you have doubts about reliability of the 11-87, or concerns. i'll call daniel horner (AMU) for you and have him give you a call back, he switched after his comp. master gave him fits.

My 11-87 does nothing but run and has since I bought it. I drilled out the gas holes in the bbl. and it shoots the low/aluminum brass cheap $15.00 a hundred Wal-Mart special ammo all day long that I see Benellies, Brownings etc. choke on all the time.

Tell those guys to send me all that "cheap" Wal-Mart ammo as it is all I ever use in my Benellis, even at real big matches. Federal Multi-Purpose F#%K YEA!!!

I wasn't posting that Remingtons weren't good guns, they are, they just aren't as user friendly as others, and tend to break parts a lot! The one comment I get ALL the time when I let Remington owners load my benelli is OH MY GOD THAT LOADS SO EASY, and that is with a fairly powerful mag tube spring. In standard/limited/tactical, loading the shotgun is where at least 1/2 of the stage is won. I don't know ANYONE that has switched from Benelli to Remington, but I sure know a lot that have switched the other way. Of the top 20 shotgun guys in our sport there are A Browning gold ( soon to be switch fore an extrema I'm told) A Remington, A Winchester SX2 and 17 Benellis. Is this because Benelli is such a great sponsor?? NOT A CHANCE!!!!! If I were only to shoot 6 3-gun matches a year I sure would like them to be pleasurable insted of fighting the gear.

Just FWIW-I have worked on many Browning Gold's and SX2's and Benellis. I like them all. But--for long term shooting enjoyment and low overhead-go with the Benelli. with that being said-I still love the Browning Gold-but of course I am the only one who can really make them run. LOL. No, really!!

Tell those guys to send me all that "cheap" Wal-Mart ammo as it is all I ever use in my Benellis, even at real big matches. Federal Multi-Purpose F#%K YEA!!!

I say the same thing about my SX2 and all I had to do to it was take it out of the box and shoot it and shoot it and shoot it! It has NEVER missed a beat with any ammo EVER.

Ed

my 11/87 will fire any 1oz load. Will choke on the 7/80z loads, runs the reduced recoil remington slugs fine also. Only thing I have to do is a little work on the interceptor with the eclips from brownells and little polishing.