Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major

SteveHarris

I just crono'd a starting load for my new STI 9mm Trobor. My average 125gr Zero was 1,418 fps for a 177 PF. It runs great but last fall I failed crono with what had tested as a 169 PF in my Limited 40. I want the gun to shoot flat and safe. I had planned to shoot a lesor PF but I don't ever want to get knocked down to minor again.....

Any thoughts??

my bad, i interpretted your question erroneously. assuming you're using a 180 grn 40, if you chronoed a 164 pf, that means you had a 27 fps drop compared to your 169 pf readings. not unheard of but it sucks just the same.

i guess testing loads when the ambient temps are cold and hot would be in order.

Edited by yoshidaex

If it is reliable, consistent, feels good and shoots accurately I say go with it. I shot a 181PF load in Limited for a long time, it was reliable, fairly consistent, felt good, and was very accurate. It wasn't as consistent as I wanted so I ended up changing powders and getting a load that is extremely consistent and just as good in all other respects at 171 PF, but it didn't make a bit of difference in my shooting. If it shoots good run it and worry about important things.

my 9 major load chrono'd at 173 at Summer Blast and on my chrono it came in at 170.1. I like to get around 170 so that any deviation, temp,bullet weigh, cold barrel, etc, still allows me to safely make major.

FWIW, i shoot a Trubor also.

MY rule of thumb is 5 over what is needed. I also try to verify my stuff over more than just one chrono, or at least check mine against some others at some point.

I run mine at 170ish (per my chrono) and have yet to have any other chrono read it under 169ish. I also use a powder that is not as sensitive to temperature variations (HS6) as other powders are.

If your gun seems to shoot a higher pf well then so be it but in reality I don't see any reason to punish your gun with 10-15 over if there isn't a need.

I load to 169-170pf on my chrono and I have yet to chrono less than 171 and as high as 173. Rmember that we generally chrono in ambient light which in general compromises our chrono somewhat whereas most times you will be chronoed at a match it will be in a box with a fixed amount of light which in my experience gives you a little higher pf result.

Good luck, Craig