Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So That's Why I Switched To Glock

Matt Griffin

I made the switch about 5 weeks ago, for reasons previously stated, from Berettas. Since then, in my G35:

Dawson FO sight

Blacked out rear sight (probably will replace it or dremel it wider)

THE Magwell (on Baseball classifier I was the only person to get all 6 third-string shots off in the last match)

Skate tape

And I liked everything about the gun, except that my accuracy was in the trash can. I attributed this to just learning a new gun, but my technique has improved immensely in the last few months (just starting to get serious about this game) and my accuracy is no better. Then I dropped in the 2# kit from Sotelo.

NOW I like this gun. I was holding inside the head of a 1/3 target at 20 yards, medium-rapid fire. Nice kit, although I've got a trigger safety reset problem as mentioned in the kit thread.

I also took you folks at your words, and didn't really bother cleaning the gun other than a rub with a towel. I started having extraction failures at around 700 rounds, so I've given the chamber and barrel a good cleaning. I'm hoping that it was a grabby chamber and not the extractor being flawed.

And finally, a question: do 9mm pistols function significantly better than .40s? I had a Beretta 92fs for 12 years, and while I would always field strip and clean the reachables, it never occurred to me to, say, polish the breach face. I'm finally starting to have some extractor issues after 12 years of no service whatsoever and no detailed cleaning. However, when I bought a 96 Elite II for competition, I always had feed problems until I started to polish the breach face consistently. My Glock certainly hasn't lasted like the 9mm Beretta did without failure.

H.

What sort of extraction failures are you having?

I just replaced my second extractor in my G19, which I've had for 18 years. Same broken spot as the last time, right where the extractor grabs the cartridge rim. I've been told that this can be caused by dropping the slide with a round in the chamber rather than feeding the first round from the mag.

If the fired brass is staying in the chamber or ends up in the slide sitting on the top of the magazine, check the extractor.

John

The extractor seems to be in the same shape it was when I bought the gun. I had one failure to extract at all, leaving the brass in the chamber, and one partial extraction, hung out the side. I retrieved the latter, it had a small shiny mark where the extractor clawed the side of the case.

H.

One of my Gen 3 G-17's has 70,000 plus rounds through it. The only thing I've changed is the sights and the connector to make it the pull lighter. Other than that, it's factory orginal parts. It's my back-up gun to my other consectutive serial # G-17. Sometimes I shoot the back-up, or I lend it to newbies until they settle on where they want to go.

I'm gonna run this thing until something breaks just to see how many rounds it will go. It may take a while. :blink: I 've had them since 1993.

I've owned maybe 10 (?) Glocks 9mm/40/45, and have never had problems unless the ammo was bad. I've not noticed any difference in the 40/9mm reliability that you're asking about.

Hope this helps.

I own a plethora of Glock's in 9x19, 40 S&W and 45 ACP and besides cleaning them every x amount of rounds the only maintenance I have ever done on them has been to replace springs on a yearly basis (Striker, Recoil and magazine) other than that nothing. BTW, my G35 has over 80k rounds and besides the springs all that I have done to it is replace the front sight from the original CGR melted Bomar to a Dawson Fiber.

Edited by ryucasta

It's getting worse. I cleaned the chamber thoroughly last night, and while shooting about 200 rounds today, had probably 3 failures to eject. One didn't clear the gun, one stovepiped, one extracted half-way, and also had an upwards-nosedive out of the mag.

I'm going to start keeping good notes, and see if I can find a common cause. I might also put in a 15lb spring, and see if the higher velocity improves extraction. What's the story on the 90 vs 15-degree extractors? Is that specific to models/generations, or is it an option to try?

H.

Houn,

Did you buy this G35 new or used? Are you using reloads or factory ammunition? What other modifications have you done to it beside the RS Trigger, Dawson Sights and THE Accessories Magazine Well?

Here's a picture of my G35 that I am no longer using since I now use the G20 in 40S&W.

This has the following features:

KKM Barrels in 40 S&W and 357 SIG

Vanek Limited Trigger configured at 1.5 pounds

JP Enterprise Magazine Release

NHO Big Mouth Magazine Well in Stainless

Full Length Tungsten Guide Rod with 13 or 15 pound spring (Depends on load)

CGR Melted Bomar with Dawson FO Front Sight

The only time I have ever experience problems was when I was working up a minor load in that it would have similar problems to the ones you are having once I went to the lighter spring problems went away. Which is why I am asking what ammunition you are using?

G35.pdf

It's new and bone-stock inside except for the trigger job. It's now got 1k rounds through it, and I cleaned it thoroughly when I installed the trigger job two days ago. I'm leaning towards a bad extractor or a slow slide.

H.

It does, I'm just curious if it's a universal thing, or my own experience. I've read about a lot of 9mm Glocks running for umpty-thousand rounds with no maintenence, but I haven't come across too many .40s. Hmm.

H.

40 cal Glocks are based on the 9x19 design. The earlier lowers were created without "beefing up" the frame for the added pressure. Any more, and with the exeption of the G36, Glocks are problem free...that is unless you own one of the 45GAP models and do not reload :ph34r:

I'm bettin not factory. ;) If they are reloads and you haven't looked at changing the recoil spring to a lighter spring weight, that could be your problem. Other's I can think of are old wore out brass and not properly sized brass. I highly doubt it's the extractor unless it came from the factory defective. I wouldn't place any bets on that happening, and I haven't heard any recent info on a "bad batch" of Glocks lately.

I know in all of my 40's and 9's, the springs are just not made for really soft shooting loads. I have a TG 128pf 9mm load that can be hell to get to eject unless you put a 13lb spring minus 3 or 4 coils in the gun (than its sweeeeeet). If you are shooting really light loads, you should lighten up the recoil spring until you find the sweet spot for ejection and function (lock-up). With my G24, it was a ISMI 15 lb spring on a non-captured guide rod. The 13 lb spring was just too light to lock up the action after I put the KKM barrel in it.

Oh, just had another thought... Pull out the striker and safety plunger and check them too. If there's bad ju-ju happening between the striker and safety plunger, that might affect the ejector claw. If I remember correctly, the bottom of the safety plunger and the extractor claw are right next to each other internally. A chunk of gunk or brass might be up in there, so cleaning that out might also do the trick.

My bet's still on the recoil spring being too heavy for your (yet to be revealed what ammo you are shooting) reload.

Sorry guys, the list I provided at the start of the thread are the only possible factors. Factory parts otherwise, factory ammo, factory finger pulling the trigger, etc. I had an armorer look at the extractor yesterday, and he didn't see any chipping. It also ran fine for 150+ rounds. I'm thinking it was a combo of dirty chamber and sunspots.

H.

I have had nothing but Glocks and many of them in all models and claibers. No 357 and no GAP. I have never had any issues ever! My first one was an old beater g17 - beaten beaten beaten. and it worked. All my otheres I bought new. I clean after every shooting, or if it happens I do not shoot for a long time - which does happen - I clean just to get the dust out it. and lube it up. I only use breakfree LP for the last 13 years and recently also use the CLP too as a cleaner only.

lube with LP just as i always had for my reasons.

Love them Glocks!

It's getting worse. I cleaned the chamber thoroughly last night, and while shooting about 200 rounds today, had probably 3 failures to eject. One didn't clear the gun, one stovepiped, one extracted half-way, and also had an upwards-nosedive out of the mag.

I'm going to start keeping good notes, and see if I can find a common cause. I might also put in a 15lb spring, and see if the higher velocity improves extraction. What's the story on the 90 vs 15-degree extractors? Is that specific to models/generations, or is it an option to try?

H.

Replace your extractor. I bought a new Gen. 3 G17 a couple of years ago, and it shot great for 5000 rounds. Then, inexplicably, it began to refuse to extract one case in 100, then one case in 50, then once case in 10. Changed out the extractor, problems went away immediately.

The failures were basically the extractor releasing the empty case too soon and leaving it half in the chamber or in the ejection port.

Andy C.

H.

Replace your extractor. I bought a new Gen. 3 G17 a couple of years ago, and it shot great for 5000 rounds. Then, inexplicably, it began to refuse to extract one case in 100, then one case in 50, then once case in 10. Changed out the extractor, problems went away immediately.

The failures were basically the extractor releasing the empty case too soon and leaving it half in the chamber or in the ejection port.

Andy C.

That's what I'm seeing. A half-extracted case that I can easily fingernail the rest of the way out of the chamber.

Would this be covered under warranty? Also, is there such a thing as a "better" extractor for Glocks other than the stock item?

H.

FYI: A problem that I have had with my small framed Glocks was brass slithers building up under the extractor which works it's way to the firing pin and firing pin safety button. Once cleaned no more issues until lots more fired rounds, in which case that area gets looked at/cleaned again.

(G27, G34, G35)

I had some problems a couple of years ago. Here is what I found. At the point where the extractor and the firing pin saftey meet, On top of the extractor, a burr developed.

The burr on the firing pin saftey created a groove in the extractor. This would cause the two to lock up if everything got lined up right. It was a FTE every once in a while. Then at the Alabama St IDPA match I had 5 FTEs. Got home found my problem. Bought a new extractor and firing pin saftey. No more problems.

SGT