Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rcbs Bench Mounted Priming System

Anybody have any experience with the RCBS bench mounted primer system? I need to get consistent extra depth on my .45 and .38s for use with an extremely lightened revolver trigger pull. Will this machine do the job? Can you adjust the primer depth (.006 to .008)?

RCBS has (or had) two bench mounted priming tools. One was (is) the Auto Priming Tool, and the other (the one I think you are referring to) does not have the automatic primer feed. The Auto PRiming Tool uses a simply lever to apply force to the primer seating stem and the bench tool uses a cam to push on the seating stem.

I don't recall either having a positive stop for adjusting the primer seating depth. Both rely on "feel" when seating. Both are capable of pushing the primer in past where you want it if you continue to push.

The priming tool with a positive depth adjustment is the ram prime unit. This sits in place of a die on the press. The seating depth can be adjusted by how far in it is screwed into the die station of the press since the press ram-mounted seating stem will come up to a fixed position each time. The uniformity of the depth of the primer pocket is an important factor in this system.

Guy

RCBS has (or had) two bench mounted priming tools. One was (is) the Auto Priming Tool, and the other (the one I think you are referring to) does not have the automatic primer feed. The Auto PRiming Tool uses a simply lever to apply force to the primer seating stem and the bench tool uses a cam to push on the seating stem.

I don't recall either having a positive stop for adjusting the primer seating depth. Both rely on "feel" when seating. Both are capable of pushing the primer in past where you want it if you continue to push.

The priming tool with a positive depth adjustment is the ram prime unit. This sits in place of a die on the press. The seating depth can be adjusted by how far in it is screwed into the die station of the press since the press ram-mounted seating stem will come up to a fixed position each time. The uniformity of the depth of the primer pocket is an important factor in this system.

Guy

Thank you. Anybody else had experience with these tools? Is there a better one for my application? I load on a progressive and I don't think the ram unit is viable without buying a single stage press. Any opinions on how to achieve the consistent depth I am seeking above the uniform pocket depth?

Edited by underlug

Unless you are certain you need a fixed seating depth, the Auto Priming Tool is very good. It gives very good feel during seating, and as long as the anvil legs are against the bottom of the primer pocket, you should have reliable ignition.

Under most conditions, the primer legs will be against the bottom of the primer pocket when the primer face is some 0.003" to 0.005" below flush with the case. Deeper can result in problems from reducing the bridge height (distance between the anvil tip and primer cup).

Plus, the Auto Priming Tool will be much faster than either the Ram Prime Tool or the Bench Tool. I would try it until you know it doesn't do the job you need.

Guy

+1 on the auto prime. I haven't used the bench mounted tools FWIW.

RIght now, I size all my revolver brass on the XL650 and prime it with the auto prime. I then throw it back in the casefeeder and continue to load.

RIght now, I size all my revolver brass on the XL650 and prime it with the auto prime. I then throw it back in the casefeeder and continue to load.

If I remember correctly, Federal primers are not recommended with the hand tools. I am looking to seat Federal primers as deep as practicable for use in Randy Lee reduced trigger pull revolvers. Mr. Lee recommends a seating depth of .008. (See <apextactical.com> under revolvers. My 550 doesn't cut it. Do you still think the auto prime is the best way to go? And, thanks for the responses

Edited by underlug

• 4 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, Federal primers are not recommended with the hand tools. I am looking to seat Federal primers as deep as practicable for use in Randy Lee reduced trigger pull revolvers. Mr. Lee recommends a seating depth of .008. (See <apextactical.com> under revolvers. My 550 doesn't cut it. Do you still think the auto prime is the best way to go? And, thanks for the responses

Do I need a particular shell holder for .45acp and .38 for use with the Auto prime? Where do I get them if I do? Thanx

Hate to suggest this, but if you get a Dillon 1050, you will get perfect priming depth - every single time. And yes, you can tweak it to push a little deeper for those revo springs. Every time I talked to Brian about a 1050, he always mentioned the consistent primer depth. Now that I have it, I now appreciate the feature. If I shot a revo in competition, it would be something I couldn't live without.

E

Hate to suggest this, but if you get a Dillon 1050, you will get perfect priming depth - every single time. And yes, you can tweak it to push a little deeper for those revo springs. Every time I talked to Brian about a 1050, he always mentioned the consistent primer depth. Now that I have it, I now appreciate the feature. If I shot a revo in competition, it would be something I couldn't live without.

E

[/quote

Thanks, but I have no room or mechanical aptitude for a 1050. Does anyone know if I need anything besides the Auto Priming Tool itself to prime specific calibers? Thank You

The RCBS Auto Priming Tool uses standard RCBS shell holders. You will need a shell holder for each cartridge you are priming.

Guy

Where do I get them? I was going to order the tool from Midway, but, I cannot find the .45 acp and .38 shell holders. Really appreciate your help

Midway should have them. I recall an RCBS shellholder No. 3 being correct for the 45 Auto. For the 38 Special, a No. 6 would be correct. For a 38 Super (sorry, I don't remember which 38 you are loading), it was originally No. 1, but more recently changed. It is now a No. 39.

Of course, rimless versions of the 38 Super will take a different shellholder, either one for a 9mm Luger (No. 16) or a 223 (No. 10).

Guy

Edited by Guy Neill

On your RL550B, are you getting failures to ignite on the first firing pin strike, then successful ignition on the seconds strike? If yes, this is a good indicator of insuffient primer seating. Have you tried adjusting the shellplate bolt a bit tighter? It helps to lightly grease the underside of the head of the shellplate bolt where it recesses down into the index sprocket. This makes it easier to operate the machine with a tighter shellplate bolt.

What is your bench top made of? If plywood, you can easily experience sufficient flexing to inhibit proper primer seating. I have seated 1000s of Federal primers on my 550 for ICORE use, as have several co-workers. If everything is correct it shouldn't be a problem.

I am familiar with Randy Lee's delightful action job on revolvers, and keep trying to win one of his gift certificates at the IRC. :ph34r:

On your RL550B, are you getting failures to ignite on the first firing pin strike, then successful ignition on the seconds strike? If yes, this is a good indicator of insuffient primer seating. Have you tried adjusting the shellplate bolt a bit tighter? It helps to lightly grease the underside of the head of the shellplate bolt where it recesses down into the index sprocket. This makes it easier to operate the machine with a tighter shellplate bolt.

What is your bench top made of? If plywood, you can easily experience sufficient flexing to inhibit proper primer seating. I have seated 1000s of Federal primers on my 550 for ICORE use, as have several co-workers. If everything is correct it shouldn't be a problem.

I am familiar with Randy Lee's delightful action job on revolvers, and keep trying to win one of his gift certificates at the IRC. :ph34r:

Randy likes to see .006 to .008, and recommends a .008 seating depth. This does not seem to be consistently possible with my Dillon

Midway should have them. I recall an RCBS shellholder No. 3 being correct for the 45 Auto. For the 38 Special, a No. 6 would be correct. For a 38 Super (sorry, I don't remember which 38 you are loading), it was originally No. 1, but more recently changed. It is now a No. 39.

Of course, rimless versions of the 38 Super will take a different shellholder, either one for a 9mm Luger (No. 16) or a 223 (No. 10).

Guy

Thanks. Your help and information has been deeply appreciated (and you are correct on the shell holder numbers)

Just curious, have you shot any ammo loaded on your 550 in this handgun yet? There are a probably more Randy Lee action jobs than 1050s around among revo shooters, but I haven't had any complaints. A fair number of ICORE shooters in the metro Phoenix area have Randy Lee action jobs, and most are loading on 550/650 loaders, where primers are seated by feel, not mechanically.

E

We used to adjust the primer seating depth on the 1050 so you could just start to see the anvil of a Federal small primer poking through the cup. :o

Then you know she's in there nice and solid.

:D

I use an RCBS bench mounted priming tool. I won't prime cases without it, especially 38 Special (commercial) brass or 45 acp (military brass with the "crimped" primer pockets) cases.

Primers seat by "feel" and I've never had a problem with ignition due to a shallow seated primer. I've had 550's, 650's, and a 1050 in my day but I'd STILL rather use the RCBS tool (along with their Pro 2000 reloading press).

RCBS Part Number 88501- "APS Bench Mounted Priming Tool" is what I use. ;)

Edited by Chuck D

I use an RCBS bench mounted priming tool. I won't prime cases without it, especially 38 Special (commercial) brass or 45 acp (military brass with the "crimped" primer pockets) cases.

Primers seat by "feel" and I've never had a problem with ignition due to a shallow seated primer. I've had 550's, 650's, and a 1050 in my day but I'd STILL rather use the RCBS tool (along with their Pro 2000 reloading press).

RCBS Part Number 88501- "APS Bench Mounted Priming Tool" is what I use. ;)

I just don't get the consistent depth with my 550. If I have to examine each one, I may as well hand or single prime. I get close by double pumping with a twist.

I would get a Lee or RCBS hand priming tool. People I know that are serious Revo competitors with lightened triggers handseat the Federal primers, then load the cases. You could load the ammo on the 550, then put them in factory ammo holders, and check the primers that way as well. You are checking them all, but you can run your fingere across them pretty quick that way.

Good luck,

DougC

I would get a Lee or RCBS hand priming tool. People I know that are serious Revo competitors with lightened triggers handseat the Federal primers, then load the cases. You could load the ammo on the 550, then put them in factory ammo holders, and check the primers that way as well. You are checking them all, but you can run your fingere across them pretty quick that way.

Good luck,

DougC

The manufacturers discourage their use with Fed primers, but, I ordered a couple of Lee's and an RCBS auto prime system. I will be the master hand primer before I am thru!!!