Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xl-650 Primer Disk Not Always Indexing

I have a relatively new (<1000 rounds loaded) XL-650, set up for 40S&W. I have had ongoing irritation with primers sometimes getting missed (with all the associated mess as the powder leaks out on the shell plate). I finally spotted what is happening: the indexing pawl that rotates the primer disk is sometimes failing to spring back enough to engage the next hole in the disk.

I called Dillon, but all they could advise was to (1) stretch out the spring, and (2) polish the tip of the pawl. Apparenty, this has to be repeated every couple of thousand rounds. I was surprised by the lameness of this response. It sounds like this is a common problem, but they apparently have no fix on the horizon. This is the first time I have ever had a reason to curse Dillon.

Does anyone here have a better fix ? It would seem that a stronger spring would 100% resolve this issue, but where to get one of the correct size and tension ?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I had the same problem with mine when it was right out of the box as well.

Because of my location I am able to go right to Dillon, which I did. They gave me a few replacement parts (arm, spring, ball and I don't remember what else). I replaced the parts and the problem was gone.

I am really surprised by the answer given to you. They are usually much better than that.

Actually, neither one is the correct course of action. If it only happens intermittantly, then most likely is either the axle pin (stock #13862) that the primer disc rotates around needs to be lubed, or else the primer seating punch assembly is sticking, and needs to be cleaned. To clean this, use a 9/16" open end wrench to unscrew the assembly from the underside of the platform, rinse in solvent, then press on it a few times to ensure it retracts fully. The punch should retract to somewhere between flush and .020" below flush.

A stronger spring should not be necessary, nor should polishing the tip of the pawl. If severe burrs are present, then you can use a file to knock off the high points, but it should should be replaced if that bad. :ph34r:

Actually, neither one is the correct course of action.retracts fully. The punch should retract to somewhere between flush and .020" below flush.

A stronger spring should not be necessary, nor should polishing the tip of the pawl. If severe burrs are present, then you can use a file to knock off the high points, but it should should be replaced if that bad. :ph34r:

I had most of the above wrong with mine. Also the wave washer was installed upside down which was most of the problem. The curl of the washer will block the return od the arm. I done the deburr thing and it did not help much. It has been fine since it was reassembled properly and deburred.

Actually, neither one is the correct course of action. If it only happens intermittantly, then most likely is either the axle pin (stock #13862) that the primer disc rotates around needs to be lubed, or else the primer seating punch assembly is sticking, and needs to be cleaned. To clean this, use a 9/16" open end wrench to unscrew the assembly from the underside of the platform, rinse in solvent, then press on it a few times to ensure it retracts fully. The punch should retract to somewhere between flush and .020" below flush.

With respect, this does not make any sense to me. The primer disc rotates freely, and the primer seating punch also moves freely, so lubing them will do nothing.

The problem is that the indexing pawl is not springing back far enough to engage the next hole in the primer disk: its just stopping short. If I give it a poke, it drops into place OK. This is purely a matter of the return spring being too weak to reliably overcome the friction of the pawl rubbing across the surface of the disk.

I had most of the above wrong with mine. Also the wave washer was installed upside down which was most of the problem. The curl of the washer will block the return of the arm. I done the deburr thing and it did not help much. It has been fine since it was reassembled properly and deburred.

This makes much more sense. I'll take a look at the wave washer.

I just added a couple of drops of oil right to the index pawl arm's axle and the wave washer. After working the index pawl back and forth several times, its definitely a lot smoother now, and there is no hint of the gritty drag I could feel before adding the lube. Hopefully this will fix the problem - time will tell. In the meantime, I hope the oil will not attract dirt or get into the primers and cause misfires.

I'll update here when I have run a few hundred rounds through the machine. If this does not fix the problem, I have found a beefier spring that may just do the trick.

ETA: Yup, a couple of drops of 3-in-1 did the trick. If only all problems in life were this easy :D .

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Even as a mechanic, it never ceased to amaze me what a tiny bit of lube would do, applied to the right place.

be

As a mechanical engineer keeps telling me: If it's metal moving on metal, there should be some kind of lube in there....

nice i'm going to try to get mine working, the darn thing NEVER indexed since i bought it 2 days ago. It just wont spring back. I'm going to throw some oil on. I thought maybe i bent the auto indexing arm because i got a primer jam but i'll try what you guys said because the arm sure didn't look bent.

Sat down to load ammo for the AR State 3 gun last night. Got 1st 100 knocked out no problems... then - rotary disc will not rotate easily and the primers are getting mangled :blink::wacko:

I finally figured out that it was my Seater Assembly on the Primer Punch Assembly that had backed out. Put in the new replacement one that Dillon sent me a couple of years ago and since I had it apart, went ahead and replaced all of the other parts on the primer assembly. The only piece that I didn't replace was the failsafe bracked because the new one that I had didn't have the pin that keeps the spring on the Primer Indexing Arm aligned.

Loaded another 100 rounds (it's great to have a smooth working press!) and crawled in bed around 2:15 am.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem, I was tightening the pawl screw too tight. It only needs to be snug the rubber washer holds it nicely.

I'll agree a drop of friction fighter never hurts.

I just wish Dillon would provide torque settings for the nuts and bolts. I like having an exact spec to follow.

That's exactly what I mean, that's an analog answer to a digital person. I read in inch pounds. Finger tight begs to to question my fingure or your finger. To me finger tight is 30 inch pounds which is way too tight for correct function. I live and die by exact information.

Can I get a torque setting for each bolt and screw to make me happy and sleep snuggly at night?

Edited by AGYoung