Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter Recoil Spring For The Xd Tactical?

Gary1911A1

I shot both the XD 4" and 5" Tactical in .45ACP at the Single Stack Classic and liked both much more than my Glock 21. Yes, I realize buying it in 9MM or .40S&W loaded down would make more sence for Production, but the .45 will still cut a bigger hole and I'm more of a .45ACP guy since that is what I started with in the late 70s'. I also know it will be next year before I can shoot the .45ACP. Anyway has anyone tried a lighter recoil spring in thier XD Tacticals. I ask as I notice the Tactical tended to dip for me when the slide returned to battery, and would like to try a lighter spring. Anyone have any experience doing this?

I am shooting an XD-40 Tactical and have been running an 16lbs spring in mine with good success. The stock spring is 18lbs so its only slightly lighter. I have not had any feed failure related to the spring. That said I don't know what spring they are using in the XD-45ACP. I would bet you could go a little lighter but I am not sure how much.

mcb

All Tacticals run the best with a #18 fixed rate spring. I've guide rod and recoil spring assemblies for the .45 Tacticals that use 1911 recoil springs SS or Tungsten. The factory recoil springs are #20+, for using ball ammo. When lighter springs are used you run the risk of not having the slide return to full battery and also on hard reloads bumping the slide back.

Rich

How about a combination of cures. Take some meat out of the slide (see Rich D.'s open XD) and then reduce the spring weight. Having only shot one XD, in .40, with rather hot loads, I gotta believe it'll still function with a 3-4# reduction in spring weight.

Rich

Thanks to all that replied. I'll be picking it up this coming weekend and will take an 18lb. recoil spring along. Richard, I shot on your squad at the SSC three years ago and remembered you showing your XDs' to Dave Williams. I remembered him smiling. Steve, I still have your book. Hope your club has the Ohio Sectionals again in the future. I'm going to get an air soft next and use it to practice your drills. Great forum and glad to be here!

Thanks Flexmoney, Oct. sounds good as I expect to be retired by then. I think I'll shoot Single Stack as it's my favorite division now. ExtremeShot, thanks for the advice. I seem to have alot of 16lb. 1911 springs around so I'll give them a try too. The heavier slide might need a stronger spring.

I have a little over 3800 rounds on a 16# spring with no problems so far.

Rich & Steve:

If you shoot the 9mm could you answer the following.

What type of ammo do you shoot? 115g, 147g?

Are they hand loads or factory? If factory, please specify.

Just trying to get a feel for what you are using in the XD

Thanks

Edited by zxd9

Hey Rich, help me out here.

I've got a XD Tact in .40. It has had the slide lightened. I'm running a .40 minor load at 135pf.

I understand that the stock spring is 18lb. Should I run the stock rate spring or is it possible or desireable to run a 16lb spring?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Hank Ellis

Hank,

A #18 fixed weight recoil spring.

ZXD9,

I shoot .40's, Steve is set up with a 9. The first 9mm I tested, I tried factory loads and hand loads from 115 to 147 with light to heavy loads and also springs, always ended back at the #18. The 18 will close and keep the slide closed. A .40 slide lightened to the weight of a 9mm, I still came back to the #18.

The lighter the load with the #18 the ejection distance is decreased. The problem that occurs with light springs is the slide doesn't close all the way. When the trigger is pulled all that happens is the slide closes. There is a light mark on the primer, most people think it was a high primer or a light strike. The other problem with a light spring is during a hard reload you can bump the slide back and you get the same result as above.

To the others that are using light springs with success keep on going. If and when it fails I won't tell you I told you so.

Rich

I got around to trying to fit a 18lb recoil spring to my XD .45ACP Tactical. I had assumed Rich and Steve was talking of 1911 recoil springs as the guild rod itself is to large to take a 1911 spring. So I guess I could call Wolff and ask for one or do you have any for sale Rich? Maybe I should just send you the whole pistol. I shot Gary Stevens XD done by you and was impressed.