Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal reload?

Condition 1

*QUOTE*

IDPA now frowns upon mandatory, on the clock reloads-with-retention.

Of course they do after I wasted all that time getting proficient at doing the stupid thing.

So what is a legal (per current rules and HQ recommended) reload in IDPA?

Edited by 1911user

Well, your basic IDPA reload is a slidelock "emergency" reload.

As said, you may not speedload and discard ammunition, or "Cooper count" and drop an empty magazine from under a loaded chamber.

The mandatory on the clock tac load or retention reload may be "frowned on" but they are not banned and you will run into one every once in a while.

So to reload, you either have to shoot to slidelock then scamper to cover for a reload OR retain the ejected mag OR get punished with extra time?

What's the point of the following directive/statement then? "IDPA now frowns upon mandatory, on the clock reloads-with-retention."

It sounds like nothing has changed in IDPA reloading.

Actually, the rulebook uses the wording

HQ urges course designers to draft scenario courses that do not require tac-loads or reloads with retention to be performed "on the clock".
This came about because most people realized that nobody would do TLs/RWRs in real life while the fight was still on. The skill is still needed in a match enviroment when needing to reload between strings in a stage. It's also used when behind cover, like a wall that takes a few steps to traverse from one side to the other; a lot of shooters can do a TL/RWR during those few steps and emerge from cover with a topped-off gun.

Problems that come up are almost always due to course design...just like USPSA.

Edited by revchuck

So to reload, you either have to shoot to slidelock then scamper to cover for a reload OR retain the ejected mag OR get punished with extra time?

What's the point of the following directive/statement then? "IDPA now frowns upon mandatory, on the clock reloads-with-retention."

Like revchuck stated, it was more of a statement to course designers rather than competitors. The "classifier" still has a mandatory Tactical reload and that won't change.

Certainly practicing all of them only improves the tools one has available to them, but in this game, slide lock, IMO, is the only way to go.

Trolling is frowned upon here.

Please download the rulebook. The rules are amazingly simple and clear if people would take the time to read them. Then they can make an informed decision as to whether they want to pursue the game further.

I dunno, I was just reading about the value of the tac load by an internet gunfighter on another board.

Me? I get too excited at a match to program that sort of stuff, never mind real combat. If the gun has any ammunition, I am shooting, if it does not, I am reloading. Unless the tac load is required and then I just try to hammer it into my memory before the start.

There HAVE been two changes in IDPA reloads since the new book came out last year.

The Tactial Reload and the Reload with Magazine Retention have been defined as "interchangeable." I think this a good change. The TL can be faster and leaves the gun unloaded for a slightly shorter time, but the RwR is less fumble-prone and I think that more important to the average shooter.

Reloads must now be STARTED and COMPLETED behind cover if "available" which is defined by the CoF or SO. You may not drop an empty or pocket a partial in the open on the way to cover. This is terribly hokey, the worst of the bunch to me.

Reloads must now be STARTED and COMPLETED behind cover if "available" which is defined by the CoF or SO. You may not drop an empty or pocket a partial in the open on the way to cover. This is terribly hokey, the worst of the bunch to me.

I agree 110%. You cannot INITIATE a reload. Meaning drop the empty at slide lock or even grab your spare. I might not be the best at multitasking but I know I can chew gum and walk at the same time as well as reload and run at the same time. That rule has cost more than a few people 3 seconds over the last year.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
I have seen shooters to miss their pocket while attempting to stow a partial magazine and not be penalzed on a "good faith effort" call, but that is not in the rules.

P. 35 & 36 (it’s printed twice):

NOTE: If the competitor makes an honest attempt to retain the partial magazine and it falls from the competitor’s pocket or pouch after he has begun to move to another firing point, no penalty should be assessed.

[P. 35 & 36 (it’s printed twice):

What's printed twice? There is nothing in the rule book about a shooter making an honest attempt and not being given a procedural. If it hits the ground and it wasn't a malfunction clearance then it's a procedural if you didn't pick it up. Page 35 & 36 don't have anything about reloads. I think you must be in the wrong rulebook.

• 1 month later...
What would be the ruling if your IDPA gun automatically closed the slide when inserting a new full magazine? Just wondering if there was a PE for not manually closing the slide on a full one.

No harm, no foul. My G34 will do this most of the time. You just don't want to get to the point you depend on it and brainlock if it doesn't happen. I always hit the slidestop anyway. If the slide did go forward, hitting the slidestop costs me no extra time. If it didn't, it saves me immense amounts of fumbling and mental vaporlock as I try to figure out what just happened, and why the gun won't fire. ;)

So what is a legal (per current rules and HQ recommended) reload in IDPA?

This has been pretty well answered, but just to get it all in one place:

There have always been three legal reloads in IDPA:

1. The emergency aka slidelock reload. Shoot the gun empty then reload and drop the slide.

2. The Tactical Reload. Round still in the chamber. Insert a fresh mag then put away the mag that just came out of the gun.

3. The Reload With Retention. Round still in the chamber. Pull old mag out of gun, put it away, then grab fresh mag and insert into the gun.

The current Rule Book says that stages requiring tac-loads and RWRs on the clock are to be discouraged. As a general rule, you're usually better off shooting the gun to slidelock. That's not to say you might not occasionally come across a stage where the tac-load or RWR might be the best choice so it's worthwhile knowing how to do all three.