Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So What Happened When You First Put Your Ice Magwell On

Flyin40

First thing I noticed after drawing the gun the dot was low or couldn't see it on the lens. The magwell changed my grip forcing my hand more up on the gun and pushing the gun down. I practiced some draws tonight and after a few the dot was right where it was supposed to be.

Anyone else have this happen to them. Did it change anything else in your grip or technique.

BTW, it feels much better than my other magwell

Flyin40

The first thing that happened when I got a new gun with an Ice was that I managed to load my left index finger, along with the mag, about half way up the mag well. You do not need to repeat this experience; take my word that it HURT. :wacko: I then determined that the name "ice" was to remind you to have some around to pack your finger in after mag change practice. ;)

I have found that the Ice does force a higher hold, which I like. Luckily my Brazos Big Mouth on my new gun also forces me to have a higher hold. I do miss the nylon insert of the Ice and have been threatening to change the Brazos over to an Ice.

Each to his own.

I love the forced high hold the ICE gives, it really helps lock my grip.

I've added them to my Open and Lim pistols to make them all have the same grip (with Eric's grip tape of course ;) )

Just the right size. :P

I like the "Ice" on my Glock, it does force your hand up high though almost to the point I'm thinking of a Glock beavertail.

On my Armscor it forces my hand up so high my right hand pushes up on the ambi safety. I Ride the ambi safety with my thumb but it starts to bother my right hand knuckle, which leads me to the post about removing the ambi safety, we'll see.

I Ride the ambi safety with my thumb but it starts to bother my right hand knuckle, which leads me to the post about removing the ambi safety, we'll see.

Or you could just Dremel off the bits of the right side paddle that hit your knuckle ;)

The ICEs I've handled haven't seemed to do much to my grip, but I haven't played extensively, so.... I have an EGW on my gun, which is a bit smaller, but still contacts my hand on the back right corner (as evidenced by the different color on the aluminum at that point).

Yep it 'helped' to push my hand up more and I did have to adjust my index with the sight - but I was changing the sight every week any way.

I found that shooting week hand my triger finger would bump the saftey on even with my thumb resting on the right side. Thin my strong hand triger finger was pushing the safety on , = I ended up shapeing the safety.

I like the ICE my old SS STI mag well had dings in it and I think that my mag lips got dinged too. So my mags stay tuned better now with the soft contact of the ICE.

<_<

But I amy not know nothing

I Ride the ambi safety with my thumb but it starts to bother my right hand knuckle, which leads me to the post about removing the ambi safety, we'll see.

Or you could just Dremel off the bits of the right side paddle that hit your knuckle ;)

The ICEs I've handled haven't seemed to do much to my grip, but I haven't played extensively, so.... I have an EGW on my gun, which is a bit smaller, but still contacts my hand on the back right corner (as evidenced by the different color on the aluminum at that point).

I just took off my hardchromed EGW magwell. The inside is extremely dinged up from reloads, they are so soft. I like the EGW and I'll see how ICE works out.

Flyin40

You don't want to mess up a nice gun with Dremel work. Better to Dremel enough off the offending finger so it fits the grip. ;)

You don't want to mess up a nice gun with Dremel work. Better to Dremel enough off the offending finger so it fits the grip. ;)

A tip - take the offending safety off the gun before Dremelling :D heh heh.... I think Matt Cheely tried to buff off his knuckles, but found it was easier to attack the safety, instead... ;):D

A tip - take the offending safety off the gun before Dremelling :D heh heh.... I think Matt Cheely tried to buff off his knuckles, but found it was easier to attack the safety, instead... ;):D

As many wins as Matt's been racking up I'm starting to think those knuckles are an advantage. He had a win in Limited at Indiana Sectional by 16%. After looking at his stages I think he might have placed in the top 3 or 4 in a combined overall. He was rockin.

Flyin40

I had one. I liked it very much. But I was going from a single stack to a 2011. So it was nice to have that great big hole.

After taking a class from Matt I noticed I really did not need it that much. I do a much better job of looking the mag into the well now.

My friend in AZ really liked mine, one because it is a pretty good mag well and two I was asking about $40 for it.

I now like the smaller SV mag wells.

Shot the gun for the first time with the Magwell which happened to a match. I'm hooked on it. I really like the feel of it. I'll be ordering another one for the limited gun.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like mine until i bought the stippled grip from EGW. Bedell makes these.

Now i get a consistent grip with my strong sided index finger firmly under the trigger guard.

Prior to that it mashed my hand and felt strange along the backstrap area.

Edited by Bear23

I love mine, just time for new inserts for both of them...looks like a beaver chewed on the plastic

Harmon\

O yeah, i really had to grind on the right side of the ambi safety..my knuckle was pushing it up on safety while shooting.

Harmon

Edited by Harmon

• 2 weeks later...
So What Happened When You First Put Your Ice Magwell On

I had to stand a minimum of 10 feet from any other competitor, the ICE would SUCK the magazines from others mag pouches and the production guys were getting pissed because they never had enough mags to finish a field course.