Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Should I Do?

PistolPete

I'm within 1% of getting my getting my next card. However, I have an open gun coming next week and want to get classified in open as well. The reason I ask is we are having a classified match in 2 weeks with 4 stages. This will most definately give me my next card in Limited but I will have 0 classifiers under my open rating. I'm thinking it would be more important to move up in limited first then work on the open classification. What are your thoughts?

Pete

My local club no longer allows reshoots for classification purposes.

My personal decision would be to continue to practice & shoot the Limited gun in the classifier. But I am not the quickest to learn to switch between iron & a dot so I am biased.

The question to ask yourself is: do I have time to develop a new load for the gun & still get in the practice necessary to shoot at the increased speed necessary to get the same classification in Open that you could get in Limited.

If unable to shoot both guns in the classifier match, do shoot the limited gun. You have the loads and experience with this gun to properly represent your true classification.

With the open gun, it will take some practice (more than a few weeks) to get up to speed with your new toy.

Above all, enjoy.

Pete,

We need more Open shooters - if you are comfortable with your new open blaster then shoot it at the Wednesday Classifier so that you can get your card/class.

There are still alot of local matches left this summer and I am sure you'll get that needed 1% at one of those matches.

GoodLuck.

Paul

I would shoot the Open gun in the classifier match. You need a minimum of 4 classifiers to get classed, then later you can shoot the 1 you need to get upclassed in LTD.

Otherwise it might take you 4 months to get your initial classification in OPEN. This way it could be done in 2 months or less.

And do not worry about representing your true classification in Open ............. you gotta start somewhere! ;)

Shoot the Open match with your Limited gun. It is currently your best gun for Open Category because you are more familiar with it. I would recommend practicing with your Open gun before shooting it in a match. Remember to grip it about the same as your other guns. It is very tempting to grip it lighter because the comp makes it feel like you don't need to, but limp-wristing will cause jams when the slide does not cycle all the way.

I was looking at my classification on USPSA.com and noticed they have yet to log my last 2 classifiers. When I added them in it easily puts me in the next class. The open gun hasn't arrived yet but HOPEFULLY will be here ASAP. If it comes before the weekend then I will be able to get enough practice in with it that I'll shoot it next week.

My current limited gun is a doublestack SV and the open gun is a Brazos Pro SC shorty. It should feel very similiar to my limited gun.

I guess I need to get the gun before I can truly decide what to do.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Shoot the Open and get classified. My guess is it's too big a rush to get a load worked up and feel comfortable with the equipment but If it were me I'd try like hell to get the 4 classifiers in Open.

I'd like to get your feedback on the Pro SC shorty. I think my next one will be a Brazos.

Edited by rwmagnus

Shoot the Open match with your Limited gun. It is currently your best gun for Open Category because you are more familiar with it. I would recommend practicing with your Open gun before shooting it in a match. Remember to grip it about the same as your other guns. It is very tempting to grip it lighter because the comp makes it feel like you don't need to, but limp-wristing will cause jams when the slide does not cycle all the way.

+1 :P

Pete,

you'll go further, faster in open,

your secondary classes will be one class down at worst, no matter what you classify in....

Stay on the dark side of OPEN.......

(you may as well sell that limited gun anyhow..) :ph34r:

9x21

If you get up and go to all matches you'll move up even faster :P

:o OUCH!!!!

I wasn't there this past weekend because I had a wedding to go to in New Jersey so I was there all weekend. Believe me I would have rather been at the match. I ordered some shotgun shell pouches from BlackHawk today so hopefully I'll have them before the weekend. They are in CT so I would expect them to be here by then. Are you going on Sunday?

Pete