Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If I Had $6000

Rocket35

Looks like a Nightforce scope...probably 1500 max....I still am straining to find 6k in that rifle...nice though it is ... ;)

If there is something I am overlooking, someone let me know..

Looks like a US Optics scope. The bolt is also fluted. This could probably be done on a standared remington action, but it may one of the custom actions like Surgeon or GA Precision 7000 series. A custom stick without the scope will generally start out in the mid-high 2K range. US Optics scopes can also exceed 2K. start adding mounts, rings, bipod, sling and other accessories and a complete set up can get to 6K. These rifles are generally capable of better accuarcy than the average shooter so if you want you can get a Rem PSS with a mounted leupold for less than 2K that will still be accurate enought for most.

Attila

Not talking PSS...am talking blueprinted 700 BDL with Badger bottom iron...Wiseman, Kreiger or Hart bbl, Jewell trigger...McMillian stock and S&Bender scope...maybe 3200 with my choice of scope, but a long way from 6k and...6k is just an enormous amount for a .308 bolt gun, I don't care what you hang off it....

TL please tell me where you are getting your deals. That's where I'm going for my next rifle.

You said maybe 3200 and you said an S&B scope (starting around 2k for a 3-12 non-ill on swfa.com) that leaves about 1200, the jewell trigger, and McM stock would knock about 600 off. That leaves 600 for action, barrel, blueprinting, bedding and bottom metal (I assume you didn't mean the Badger DBM system which is about 350 plus installation).

Yes, you are right 6K is alot of money for a build, but a full custom build on a 700 action with an upper magnification VXIII (less than 1/2 the cost of the S&B) is going to run most of us around 3-4k depending on options and magnification.

By the time you go custom action, Badger DBM, and nightforce or better you are looking at 5k and up, from GAP, Terry Cross, or most of the other name smiths.

must be new math

remington action 200 - 600 depending on how purchased

badger bottom metal 335 retail

krieger barrel 300 just bought one dealer cost

jewell trigger 200 same

mcmillin stock 400 - 750 depends on model and options

s&b pmii scope 2300 - 2700 depending on features and availabity

that comes to 3735 on the low side and no labor or any way to mount the scope

Hitekredneck

find an old 700 at a gun show...send it to the smith of your choice...mine lives in Bryan, Tx...blueprint, all bbl of your choice 500, jewell 200, McMillian stock 350....(yes, they can be had for that), scope of choice for 2750+1300 for the rest and you are at 4100...even so...lots cheaper than 6k...

My post wasnt an attempt to justify spending that much on a tactical system, just tried to break down the cost of that type of rig.

My only precision rifle is a custom AR10 build by GAP. It was part of a special build he did for another forum. It is a tackdriver. It has a Premier Reticles/Loopy 3.5-10x/40 M3 mounted with badger rings. it was a bargain for what I have.

If I was going to spend 6K, I would get a S&B 4-16x42mm mounted on a GAP A5 .338 Lapua. Might even have enough left over for some ammo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thats a US Optics scope, somewhere around $2800, probaly about the same for the bare rifle, which makes 5600. $400 for rings sling bipod and 'cool facor' is not unreasonable.

you can spend more if you wanted a Schmitt and Bender (the best, by the way)

Had a buddy drop $6500 on a AI set up with a top of the line Schmitt. But the thing is a freaking lazer gun. A monkey can shot that thing 1/2 MOA...