Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Or Out-of-the-box?

sandman_sy

Sorry guys, did a search, but turned up with nothing:(

Here goes, Ok shooters, age old question here?

"to assemble your own or just buy high end out of the box then tweak... that s my question"...:(

my situation, very new shooters, 2 months... i currently hav a second hand STI custom gun (my first ever gun), yes... its very accurate... yes.... i'm performing very well with it(8th out of 67 last weekend :) ) but a friend is buying some new STIs (EDGE N EXECUTIVE), n asked me f i wanted one too!?

Yikes, now the idea just won't go away... Some shooter friends of mine r sayng custom build your own, some say to just buy a new factry gun..... im in a bind....i'm financially ready n willing for both options but which do u guys think is a better choice?ü

Any advice or comment s very much appreciated. Thank you.ü

Edited by sandman_sy

With any gun, I want 100% reliability, decent accuracy, a decent trigger and good sights.

Hell, I can get that with a Glock a $40 pair of sights and 10 minutes of Dremeling :D

People get the idea that if something "feels" lighter/better/softer/faster, it actually is lighter/better/softer/faster.

Two things matter in this game, points and time. I doubt that spending more $$$ will get you more points and less time ;)

So my advice would be go for a the cheapest competitive factory gun and make sure it runs 100%

Full custom, that way it is EXACTLY what you want and not someone elses opinion of what it should be.

If you have the money and are going to spend it you might as well get what you want instead of a compromise. I think it was Ankeny that said 'there is nothing wrong with going to the line with the best equipment money can buy', and I agree with him 100%. Is it going to make a big difference? Probably not, but is certainly isn't going to hurt anything but your pocketbook.

From another new guy-four months.

Let me see if I have this right:

You have an STI now--check

It is accurate--check

You are shooting well with it (8 of 67 after 2 months)-- check

Unless it is hiccupping on you, as in not dead reliable, keep shooting what you have, try out some other guys' guns over the next year and see what you like.

I did exactly what you did. The second hand STI Executive I bought is better than I will be for a long time. I will shoot it for a year or more before buying another and by then I will know EXACTLY what I want.

Buying a new gun is fun. Buying one only because you can and your buddy is, while I have done it as well, is not your best decision.

As a very new shooter, do you really know what bells and whistles you really need (want)?

I recommend you stick with what you've got. Add options as you see they will benefit you. Once you have some experience under your belt, get the full house custom built to your specs.

Wouldn't you hate to spend all that money only to find out you didn't need that option but really, really wish you had this other option included?

If you know what you want, buy it and be done with it.

This is a lesson I never learn. Just bought a mountain bike. Went with the lower end of the upper end because I thought I'd save a little cash. Well...now I'm on the verge of putting serious coin into it because I bought less than I needed. Rare is the day you save enough on these fixer-upper deals to make it worth the hassle. Guns particularly so because of the outlandish shipping costs and lead times at gunsmiths.

And I can't say enough good things about Brazos. As soon as I get my life figured out, I will likely be going semi- or full on custom with Bob. Kevin Imel's Brazos makes Swiss watches seem flaky by comparison.

Edited by EricW

The STI Executive is practically a custom gun from the factory. I have one that has run 100% since the day I got it. I also have another Limited gun that was custom built that has had to be tweeked to get it to run 100%. I don't think you will really get anymore from a custom gun thn the Executive. It has all the bells and whistles, about all you could do is modify the grip.

update on situation.ü

Called my gunsmith friend last nyt, he told me that prices could go up on parts, especially when da dollar=peso exchnge rate s getting high.;( oooh, the pressure....

after readn da thread....

if only i could buy at brazo's:( me from the Philippines.... :(

Call me crazy but i want a gun of my own.ü I will always love my first STI, it has ALWAYS served me well.ü but i can't really say "this is what i wanted"

But ur advices hav opened a light in my dark day... i'll try more custom guns out, to know EXACTLY what i want.ü maybe try da new Executve of my friend when it gets here... try out da feel... and mayb try out some newly finished custom guns from my friends... and a whole lot of stuff.

:unsure:

Once again... fellow shooters... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Edited by sandman_sy