Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated Bullets...what's The Deal?

ShootinIt

I am new to this forum and to reloading. I will be reloading in the next week or two. I am looking at buying some bulk .40 S&W 165gr. bullets. I have read on this forum about plated bullets and I have got the imprssion that they are not as good as a true FMJ. I would like to know why that is and anything else you could tell me good or bad about plated bullets vs FMJ bullets. Thanks you!

I shoot them in .45ACP and 9x19mm (Frontier 230 grain RN and 147 grain RN). I have never had any problems with them. Accuracy is great, they're cheaper than FMJs and they're cleaner than both FMJs and lead bullets, because they are completely jacketed.

I have found that they also require less powder to make the same velocity as FMJs.

Do a search on:

plated

Ranier

Berry's

and see what you find. I think you'll find a little more "didn't work for me" posts than "works great, no problems" but that's a guess. They didn't work out for me in 40cal.

The cost savings is the greatest in 45acp & I believe that's where the highest success rate is with those bullets [also the lowest velocity, seems to be related] where 9mm caliber has a much lower satisfaction rate and also the smallest price break vs jacketed bullets.

HTH

My .45 1911 with KART barrel liked the Rainier 230 OK.

It didn't like Berrys

My STI with factory EDGE barrel didn't like the 180 Rainier at all.

It loves real jacketed or MasterBlaster coated though.

Edited by Derek45

Ive had really good luck with berrys double struck and rainier restrikes.

Ive never had one tumble in my 9mm, 38 super or 40 cal.

i think most shooters troubles with them come from overcrimping them.

Harmon

I tried the Berry's 180 gr HP in .40 cal. The first ones I loaded with very little crimp just enought to fit the case guage. They were terrible, tumbled. I then tried some with some crimp 6/1000 and a few would make irregular holes in the target. I then increased the crimp a few more thousandths and it was ok. I just don't like the way the holes in the targets look, they are just not as clean as a Zero 180gr JHP. I have sold what I had left and am going back to the Zero's even though they cost more.

I use Berrys 135 plated for my .40 open. I did have a little problem when the bell adjustment on my press worked loose. Without enough bell on the case the case would cause the plating to shave and bunch up. It was visible and the round wouldn't chamber. Other than that I like 'em.

I've had outstanding results with Berry's with 200's and 180's in 40. Every barrel is different, so you'll just have to find out for yourself. The one thing I do that may be different from others is that I quasi-lap my pistol barrels with JB or Iosso. It basically eliminates all fouling (and associated cleaning) and may be more plated-bullet friendly since that obviously does knock down any sharp edges.

The one thing I do that may be different from others is that I quasi-lap my pistol barrels with JB or Iosso. It basically eliminates all fouling (and associated cleaning) and may be more plated-bullet friendly since that obviously does knock down any sharp edges.

I have seen at least three new guns which wouldn't function with plated bullets, because the sharp lands and grooves of the barrel would cut the plating open and the bullet would start to tumble. The owners used FMJ's for a while (shot maybe 2000 rounds through it), lapping it with FMJs and went back to copper plated bullets with no ill effects.

Frontier just put a new line of bullets on the market with a plating that is twice as thick as regular plated bullets. This may also work well in new guns that normally don't like copper plated bullets.

Its funny that a pistol will shoot a plain lead bullet w/o tumbling but you put a thin copper coat on it and BAM, it tumbles...this can be added to the long list of things that dont make sense to me.

Harmon

What happens this:

The plating acts like a jacket. Once it is cut all the way by two lands a little strip of plating will loosen itself from the bullet and act as a little "wing" steering the bullet of its path.

You can see this on the target most of the time. The wing will leave a mark.

IIRC, Rainier used to buy directly from Frontier and sold them as Rainier.

The site (www.frontierbullets.co.za) says this is the distributor for the US:

USA Distributors

Black Hills Shooters Supplies

PO Box 4220

Rapid City

SD 577094220

Tel: +1-605-3484477

Fax: +1-605-3485037

e-Mail: mundon@bhshooters.com

I'll ask Susan down at the Frontier Factory who else sells them in the US.

The wing thing mentioned a few posts back must be what I am seeing on some of the bullet holes. I have shot the Berry's thru my SV Sight Tracker with a Scheuman AET barrel and my STI Executive with an STI barrel and got the same problems from both. I guess it is better to pay a little more for the Zero's and have one less thing to think about when shooting. I would be alot better if I could shoot with my mind (what little I have left) blank.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I'm on my 5th batch of a 1000 of Berry's 180gr 40S&W and have yet to have a problem with them. Ran in my Glock barrel and through my Barsto barrel without any problems. I ordered another 5k from Cabella's and paid 14 bucks to ship all of them. YMMV

JOe

The wing thing mentioned a few posts back must be what I am seeing on some of the bullet holes. I have shot the Berry's thru my SV Sight Tracker with a Scheuman AET barrel and my STI Executive with an STI barrel and got the same problems from both. I guess it is better to pay a little more for the Zero's and have one less thing to think about when shooting. I would be alot better if I could shoot with my mind (what little I have left) blank.

JaxShooter,

The AET barrels (especially the TiN barrels) are most common "plating cutters". The good news is that you will probably be able to shoot plated with no ill effects after "lapping" the barrel with about 2000 FMJs.

I started loading .40 cal a while back, and the only bullets that dealers seem to stock here are Frontier 180grn CMJ RNFP. I have loaded them for a CZ Champion and an H&k and have had no problems. I have always found them to very accurate (obviously depending on the shooter :D ). I know other guys who use them in Glocks, Para Ordnance and STI's, they all give very favourable reports. I have always used very light crimp.

JaxShooter,

The AET barrels (especially the TiN barrels) are most common "plating cutters". The good news is that you will probably be able to shoot plated with no ill effects after "lapping" the barrel with about 2000 FMJs.

Spook,

I'm also having problems with Berry's 180gr hollow points in my SV AET Sight Tracker. I've already put about 2000 Montana Gold and another 1000 or so Zero JHPs thru it. I had been sitting on the Berry 180gr HP's until I ran out of the others, but after hearing about everyone's problems I decided to load up a 100 and test. I shot a box of 50 and they looked like a shotgun pattern on a 8x10 target at about 30 feet. Very depressing. Normally I'd have a small ragged hole at that close range. I also have some 180gr flat points that I loaded up but haven't tested yet. As soon as I test all my bullets (.38/.40/.45) I'm going to call Berry's.

-Cuz

JaxShooter,

You can also speed up the "lapping" process with 50 cal can full of ammo and a plate rack. :ph34r:

JaxShooter,

Spook,

I'm also having problems with Berry's 180gr hollow points in my SV AET Sight Tracker. I've already put about 2000 Montana Gold and another 1000 or so Zero JHPs thru it. I had been sitting on the Berry 180gr HP's until I ran out of the others, but after hearing about everyone's problems I decided to load up a 100 and test. I shot a box of 50 and they looked like a shotgun pattern on a 8x10 target at about 30 feet. Very depressing. Normally I'd have a small ragged hole at that close range. I also have some 180gr flat points that I loaded up but haven't tested yet. As soon as I test all my bullets (.38/.40/.45) I'm going to call Berry's.

-Cuz

Cuz,

I don't know much about the Berry's. I just know some shooters that ran them in their guns. From what I've heard their plating is very thin. Are you using a lot of crimp? I make sure (especially with plated bullets) that (like IAN27 points out) there is no real crimp. Crimping can cut the plating too. I think it's the No1 cause of trouble with plated bullets for most shooters. Most of us don't have those cool AET barrels ;)

I'm curious what Berry's will say about it.

BTW, is your AET barrel TiN-ed? If so, it could take considerabley more time to lap it for plated. That TiN is as hard as a diamond.

Cuz,

I don't know much about the Berry's. I just know some shooters that ran them in their guns. From what I've heard their plating is very thin. Are you using a lot of crimp? I make sure (especially with plated bullets) that (like IAN27 points out) there is no real crimp. Crimping can cut the plating too. I think it's the No1 cause of trouble with plated bullets for most shooters. Most of us don't have those cool AET barrels ;)

I'm curious what Berry's will say about it.

BTW, is your AET barrel TiN-ed? If so, it could take considerabley more time to lap it for plated. That TiN is as hard as a diamond.

Yes, my barrel in TiN. I pulled a couple of bullets and there was no noticable marks. I'm using a Lee resizing/crimping die and I turn the die down just about a 1/4 turn past contact. Very little crimp.

-Cuz.

...anyone sell them frontier bullets in the states?

Harmon, I emailed Frontier and they told me US shooters should contact Black Hills (see couple of posts above) for Frontier selling shops across the US.