Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated Bullets...what's The Deal?

ShootinIt

Great thread, very relevant.

I got some of those extreme plated .40 180's for my glock 35, stock barrel.

It seemed that about 10-20% of the holes in the targets showed extreme tumbling. And I couldnt hit the steel worth a darn yesterday.

I will play around with the crimp, as suggested, but I wonder if the glock barrel really needs hard jackets for proper accuracy.

any ideas?

I've found that if you keep the velocity down on plated bullets, they shoot just fine and are accurate as heck. However once you push them past 900 fps, they tend to not like it, will tumble or will give bad accuracy. I'm finding that people who shoot the heavier weights and don't push velocity are saying that they like them and those of us who try to push them past a certain velocity (usually with lighter bullets) are finding that they are inaccurate or have keyholing problems. That being said, I used 180 gn RNFP's made by west coast and they are very accurate out of my Sig 229 when pushed to minor velocity (about 750 fps). They are soft shooting and accurate out to about 40 yards. I have some 124's made by the same maker and have found them to be inaccurate when pushed to make minor. I'm thinking about making some sub-minor for steel challenge and seeing if accuracy improves.

Vince

(edited for typos)

Edited by sargenv