Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Shell Plate Rotation

Well, like the topic description says... I'm having some weirdness on my RL550B where I have to pull the handle back about 1/2" or so to raise the ram slightly, otherwise it doesn't quite clear the primer sticking up from the primer cup. The press came w/ pre-setup small and large primer feed bars, and I haven't messed w/ either of them, but the problem is present in both small rifle (.223 Rem) and large rifle (.308 Win).

What do I need to tweak to cure this?

Thanks,

Monte

Hmmmm. Mine does the same thing. Never considered it a problem, as you only have to

raise the ram a bit to clear the primer 3 times at the end of a loading session. When you

are loading, the cup is empty during rotation.

You can check to see if the primer anvil is all the way down--loosen the setscrew on the side of the primer slide and push down on the anvil. Actually, you better push down

BEFORE you loosen the setscrew, that's a heck of a stout little spring there under the primer cup!

Ah... how does it ride too low? Maybe I did something (else) wrong when I put things together by the directions, but I just snug the bolt for the shellplate to where I can turn it w/o too much effort and it doesn't 'drag' too much. Any less tension and it gets kind of 'sloppy'.

Is your powder charge bar/rod return spring up to snuff?

Roger That on not wanting the shell plate to not drag or be sloppy! :)

You do not want to have to manipulate the lever to facilitate moving the shell plate.

FM

Sounds to me like the primer punch/cup assembly is not locked in as far down as it needs to be. You have to lock the setscrew with the primer stroke fully depressed or the punch doesn't get pushed all the way down.

The proper measurement from the underside of the primer slide to the top of the cup should be 1.215"-1.220". Measure with a caliper. If the batch of primers you are using have the anvils a little higher than usual, this dragging can happen. We have also observed this on well-used machines, where the primer cup has started to collapse a bit from fatigue. As others have posted, this will only happen on the last three rounds loaded, so not worth worrying about. :ph34r:

When I have had this problem I have always just tightened up the spring tension on the powder measure saftey rod so it puts a bit of upward pressure on the ram and solves the problem.

Neal in AZ

When I have had this problem I have always just tightened up the spring tension on the powder measure saftey rod so it puts a bit of upward pressure on the ram and solves the problem.

Neal in AZ

That is what I truly meant to convey. :)

FM

Well, like the topic description says... I'm having some weirdness on my RL550B where I have to pull the handle back about 1/2" or so to raise the ram slightly, otherwise it doesn't quite clear the primer sticking up from the primer cup. The press came w/ pre-setup small and large primer feed bars, and I haven't messed w/ either of them, but the problem is present in both small rifle (.223 Rem) and large rifle (.308 Win).

What do I need to tweak to cure this?

Thanks,

Monte

I think this may be a lubrication problem. The spring under the primer cup is no longer backing up the piston after you seat the primer. I just went thru this and ended up having to lube the arms/linkages with heavy grease. Dillon said there was an incredible amount of pressure in those parts and light oil type lubricants won't work. When this happened to me it was because my press started to stiffen up during use. After I lubed it up and ran it for a hundred rounds or so to work the grease in it returned to normal.

Just a thought...

-Cuz.