Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speeding Up Slide

MARKUSEJ

I have a Glock 20 that has a Fed arms 40 barrel. It also has a tungsten guide rod and a 15lb spring. At the last match it seemed I was waiting on the slide when shooting some fast hoser targets. I would like to speed up the slide and am wondering about trying lighter recoil springs. On another note what about using a 20C slide? What weight of spring can I use and still be reliable?

I dont know about the G-20, but on my 17, and 22, and 24 I was able to go down to a 15lbs spring, but not much further. I had problems with a 13 lbs, but then again it was a used spring I had borrowed from a friend. Could have been weak to begin with, but it wouldnt pick up the next round in the mag.

Might want to try different recoil springs and also what ammo you using? maybe a little hotter ammo would solve your problem. I know I got some really slow .45 230 grain ammo once and it was like a walk in the park, changed to some good 200 grain with better powder and it ran much smoother/faster.

Im using a 12lb recoil spring with tungsten guide rod in my G34. Ive used that setup for the last 6months with not one problem. Im shooting 147gr at a 129/130 powerfactor in Limited minor. Not one problem with the glock running. I won't attempt to go with a stronger spring cause this thing shoots like a cap gun. Soft and flat.

You cannot pull the trigger as fast as the gun can cycle. I once had a G35 let go a 3 round burst while I had the timer running. Seems like the splits were in the .06 to .07 range.

same "setup" as coltgov and flexmoney mentioned.

I use the 20C slide, works flawlessly. I actually plan in the future to get some slide lightening done to it also. Darn Glock slides are so heavy.

Didn't Glock beef up the G20 slides (compared to the G21, in 45ACP) to handle the abuse of 10mm? Or, did they lighten the G21 slides???

Anyway, if you ever plan to use the G20 with full power 10mm again, then be mindful about lightening the slide.

You cannot pull the trigger as fast as the gun can cycle. I once had a G35 let go a 3 round burst while I had the timer running. Seems like the splits were in the .06 to .07 range.

+1

a light spring is just going to make the gun close slower..but open faster...i dont think your going to net any appreciable gain in speed by going that route.

If the gun still seems to be sluggish, its the gun... try going to a G35 instead.

FWIW the fastest splits i can get with the glock are .13s or so..

hope this helps

Didn't Glock beef up the G20 slides (compared to the G21, in 45ACP) to handle the abuse of 10mm? Or, did they lighten the G21 slides???

Anyway, if you ever plan to use the G20 with full power 10mm again, then be mindful about lightening the slide.

thanks for the advice but I never plan on shooting 10mm through it. It is strictly my Limited gun chambered in .40.