Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Free Wireless In Airports

ChuckS

I am sitting here waiting for a flight and doing some email and surfing. I had business in PHX and it just so happend to be on a Tuesday <_< (Tuesday Night Steel!). I tried to get to the Winchester website and was blocked by "Websense". They have weapons related sites blocked. In friggin Phoenix! Go figure...

Edited to add shooting content: TNS was fun, shot it twice! You may of seen the duststorm on the news. It partially blew into the range just as I was starting a stage. All I could see was white steel targets on a plain brown background. Best target focus ever!

Edited by ChuckS

This might be alittle out-of-scope for this forum but seeing the massive number of geeks around here, maybe not. I run into that particular problem every single time I travel. To get around it I've set up a OpenVPN server at home listing on my broadband connection. As long as the netwrok I'm connecting through allow https/443 TCP outbound I'm O.K. It has really saved my butt a number fo times.

Kevin's solution is really pretty clever but unfortunately it's not going to be a good one for most surfers. If reading his suggestion doesn't give you enough to go on to do it yourself then you're probably better off looking into a wireless broadband card for your laptop such as those offered by Cingular, etc. You have to pay for it, but since most things in life that are "free" still aren't worth the price, it might be worth looking into.

John

This might be alittle out-of-scope for this forum but seeing the massive number of geeks around here, maybe not. I run into that particular problem every single time I travel. To get around it I've set up a OpenVPN server at home listing on my broadband connection. As long as the netwrok I'm connecting through allow https/443 TCP outbound I'm O.K. It has really saved my butt a number fo times.

how do you deal with a change in IP number? I think my lease is only good for some hours.

Barring an ICMP tunneling server (a very handy thing to have in such places as SLC),

Google is your friend. Everybody loves Google. (except for them not being very gun friendly..)

bookmark- http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=e...enos.com/forums

Tedious to surf, but the construction goes like this:

www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=brianenos.com/forums

I have a solution for this web surfing block!!!!1 what i would do is sign up to

verizon and get a PC card. use it for 10 days.. use it in the airport. then return it

within 15 days verizon has a 100% money back if you dont like the service.

i will do this since i wait a lot on airports while going to tournaments like area2 in AZ.

There is an easy solution to this that I use. Go to www.anonymouse.org. Then from that website you can enter ANY URL that is blocked without problem. I ran into the same problem while at a coffee house here (Panera Bread) that has free WIFI. I wanted to check BrianEnos.com but couldn't. This was the trick.

-RS