Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 62 Gr Bullets For Reloading

I'll tag along for the ride and see if anyone has an answer for you.

Even tossing out the economical requirement, I've noticed there just aren't a heck of a lot of 62gr options in the bulk bullet world.

Richard,

Unfortunately, you have no real good choices in the 62gr. bullet weights. I'm assuming your rifle has a 1/9 twist rate. The 69 grainers are your best bet for a more accurate/economical bullet. I've had excellent results with Sierra and Nosler, and both of them are available in bulk packs.

Erik

62's in bulk are tough to find, especially at a good bulk price. Like Erik said, 69gr. Sierra Matchkings are going to be your buddy. The Nosler 69's are sweet and the Hornady 68's are supposed to be super sweet. I'll be testing these out after US3GN just to see how they shoot. The Hi-Power guys love 'em so there might be something worth checking out.

Hope that helped.

Rich

I picked up 1,000 pulled and resized 62s for $40.00 plus shipping. Have not tried them out yet. Also same guy has 3000 for $125.00 plus $8.10 shipping.

Look for daboopss store on E-Bay. What kind of loads are being used for this in a 1-9 twist ARs?

• 1 month later...

thebulletguy.com has 62 gr. Golden West .224 for $50.25 per 1000. :D

[/quot

The last Weidners flyer I had (May?) had IMI 'Match' 62 grs. don't remember price but thought it reasonable.

Midway sells the Speer/CCI 62 grain FMJ with a cannalure for the semi-automatic folks at $11/ hundred but there has to be a bulk price somewhere. I found a local dealer who sells the Hornady 68 OTM/BTHP for about $100/M that HAS a cannalure for ARs etc...

He also loads them for $280/M which is in new brass...

Mick

• 3 months later...
Alright... newbie question.. what is machined pulled?

That means ammo was manufactured, then surplused for some reason, and a machine pulled the bullet out. For 62-grain, that means a military SS109 or M855 bullet which means it will probably punch a hole in the nice steel targets at the range. Not so popular. I have not tried such ammo on my club's steel; I imagine it would go over about as well as shooting the pistol steel with a shotgun slug.

Lee

• 1 year later...

If it's AR500 you're good. Shot green tip (M855) all week at a class at ranges between 75 - 300m on mgm targets with no shoot throughs. It does put a nice dipple in them though.