Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which One Is A Better Open Gun?

sps

I know that a similar version of this question has probably been asked (and answered) on this forum in the past, but since I'm totally new to open division (I'm a standard division shooter) and thinking to go open next year, i thought that this would be the best place to ask around.

i had a look on the STI TruBor and the SPS open (not the hybrid model) and it looks that both are very good pistols as they come from the factory.There are, however, several differences that I'm not sure how much they are important, such as a different compensator/barrel fit and compensator design.

the STI with a chrome finish is $3,000 while the SPS (chrome) is $2,050. is there any catch that I'm missing?

what makes the STI a nearly $1,000 more expensive? is it worth it? and what is the real difference between the TruBore and the GrandMaster?

i know that i have many questions but i guess that an open shooter how were considering moving to standard would have the same.

your views are appreciated.

At the risk of really irritating you, since I see your username is SPS, STI is a better pistol. It is well worth the extra money. Quality of materials and workmanship, not to mention customer service are what makes STI superior to SPS. If you live in Europe, SPS may be a superior product due to its locality in Spain. When it comes down to quality and standing behind the company's product, Dave and Pauletta Skinner along with the folks who work with them make STI superior.

Between Wakal and I, we own more than 8 STI's. We wouldn't trade them.

It's my opinion, take it for what you think it's worth.

Cheers,

Liota

I heard that SPS is a copyright infringement on STI, they coppied it illegally that's why you can't get one in the USA.

SPS a Cheap knock-off? I don't know I've never see one but the STI's I have owned and shot are high quality first class guns.

A $1000 is a lot of cash and anytime the (supposedly) same quality item is sold for a price that is 1/3 less than the original, I have to wonder why.

Hey buddy, wanna' buy a cheap Rolex? ;-)

I know that a similar version of this question has probably been asked (and answered) on this forum in the past, but since I'm totally new to open division (I'm a standard division shooter) and thinking to go open next year, i thought that this would be the best place to ask around.

i had a look on the STI TruBor and the SPS open (not the hybrid model) and it looks that both are very good pistols as they come from the factory.There are, however, several differences that I'm not sure how much they are important, such as a different compensator/barrel fit and compensator design.

the STI with a chrome finish is $3,000 while the SPS (chrome) is $2,050. is there any catch that I'm missing?

what makes the STI a nearly $1,000 more expensive? is it worth it? and what is the real difference between the TruBore and the GrandMaster?

i know that i have many questions but i guess that an open shooter how were considering moving to standard would have the same.

your views are appreciated.

Now, let's see. SPS is made "locally" STI is imported (in Europe). I think that could increase the price somewhat. Should we were able to import the SPS in any real competitive numbers, the STI's would still sell for more, even here, and there would be a lot more STI's being sold at the higher price. Now, I also know that the "locals" here don't want to spend money unnecessarily either. I wonder why...

Take it up one notch. I wonder how much more do SVI/Infinity's cost over there compared to SPS??? Here, they also sell for more...

If you go to the web-site of STI, you can see and read what the difference is between the Tru-Bore and the GrandMaster. It all has to do with the amount of "labor" and some components for the finished product. Then you get started, as a large number of them will be sent after awhile to 'smiths like myself and others here for "finishing" touches, which will increase their cost even further. I guess they must be worthwhile to spend that kind of money? :D:D:DB)B);)

When I was in England the cost of American guns/parts were horrendously expensive.

Imagine a gun costing $1000, in UK that is about £538. Anything imported into the UK has to pay import duty...then they add the VAT on top of that (about 17.5% if memory serves).

That new cost is the cost to the distributor in UK to import the gun. They then sell the gun to the gun dealer, with a 20% profit on top. The dealer then sells the gun to the end-user (after adding another 20-30% for profit on top).

The net effect of all this (at least when I was in UK) is that the a $1000 gun would cost about £1000, nearly double what it costs in USA.

This would easily explain the difference in cost between a SPS and STI. It is not advisable - at least in my opinion - to determine build quality from the cost of an item.

For example, a $10 digital watch can keep better time than a Rolex.

thank you all for your help. i could see why the debate focused on the costs, but could you also give me some inputs as to the "mechanical" differences? what is so good about the TruBor barrel to comp fit that makes it unique, does the comp differences between the two crucial(i.e. the number of chambers)?

a local sps shooter that i know has his sps slide to frame rattle before 10,000 rounds of shooting.

My SVI infinity has more than 30,000 and does not rattle. STI/SVI has better tempering and durability imho only.

good luck on your choice.

BTW an open pistol here made by sti will cost you around 3700 US dollars.

a standard/limited pistol around 3400 USD

I have some input regarding the mechanical quality differences between the two gunmakes. I have a SPS opx open gun (5.5" cone comp 7-ports .38super) and a STI Edge standard/limited .40 S&W, hence first hand experience with both. There is only one thing to say about the quality on the STI. Its outstanding.

When it comes to the SPS, there are some issues. First, I've only shot it 8k rounds, and has become a bit loose in the slide to frame fit. But it works flawlessly. Still, I concider my self lucky to have a SPS gun which is quite ok put together, because the quality of the workmanship is various. My gunsmith is particulary unhappy about SPS, and recommend to have the slide/barrell assembly replaced by STI or other quality parts. One of the main issues about SPS guns that I've seen/heard of, is the barrell/slide lock. They have a tendency to remove to much on the corners of the lugs to make it lock easier. This results in poor lock-up between the barrell and slide, and the parts will wear out over a shorter time.

This is my personal experience with the gunmakes, and others migth have a different view. I would go for an STI if I where you. But then again, I bougth the SPS solely because it cost less.

STI is much better quality of the two.. have you shot either of these pistols? yes it's an "open gun from the factory" but they still usually need tunin by a gunsmith to get them to work perfect. I would rather have a custom gun build by a top smith to my liking.

Don't over look caspian (much better slide quality than STI) or Tanfoglio/EAA now importing a very cost effective open gun.

SPS,

im kinda in a similar situation myself. i shoot limited right now with an STI Executive, but i am in the market for an open gun. after spending ALOT of time reading on this forum and talking with several gunsmiths and top shooters and STI grandmaster owners, i am going to go with a custom built open gun from Dave Dawson. i was origianlly considering a STI grandmaster, however, alot of people steered me away from this decision. apparently a "stock open gun" would require some "tweaking" (therefore more money) to get it running smooth and reliable. so i was convinced it was well worth it to spend the extra money for a custom build which would already have all the kinks worked out, and be a much better quality buy for the long run. also (from what i have heard) you cant beat the customer service that comes with getting a custom built gun.

also (from what i have heard) you cant beat the customer service that comes with getting a custom built gun.

...when it's built by a reputable smith... ;)

The first S_I pistol I bought was a SVI set up for .45 and 9mm, almost a year later I received it. In the interim, I needed a pistol to shoot at nationals and ordered an STI, received it less than a month later. The SVI is a better product than the STI. That being said the last pistol I bought (for open) was an STI there too close for me to justify an extra $1000+ and long wait.