Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide Rod Scoring?

dirtypool40

DP

It's normal for the T-H-E guide rod & flat-wound spring and it IS something to worry about. It can cause malfunctions.

You'll want to smooth out the marks with say 400 & 600 grit emory and also use a lot of Slide Glide on that area. Near as we can figure it's the 90-degree edges in the flat-wound springs from Glock and ISMI that wear on the tungsten rod.

Steel rods with round Wolff springs don't have much problem with that but the tungsten is a little heavier which is nice.

EN

DP

It's normal for the T-H-E guide rod & flat-wound spring and it IS something to worry about. It can cause malfunctions.

Eric,

What type of malfunctions have resulted from the GR scoring? Thx.

Well, this is a friend's gun, so I have not done the amount of testig I want to, but we're not sure if any malfs were caused by it, just concernec something might be wrong and it might eat the guide rod.

We did get some FTF / light strikes, but he is using locally purchased cheap reloads, so I am not ready to blame gun or guide rod on those.

He cleared them quickly during the match, so we never got to check things out. Afterwards he called and told me about the scoring.

Anyone have experience with this set up and is a scored ring about an inch back from the muzzle normal or anything to be worried about.

Thanks.

I think this is common. Several Glock shooters I shoot with have all had this happen. Mine has some pretty deep score marks. Haven't had any malfunctions due to it however. Not sure if sanding out the marks is a good idea due to changing the diameter and structural strength. I'm just monitering the situation and replace if it gets worse. I'm not convienced the steel guide rod feels much different and may try it.

I hve the SS uncaptured in my G34 and the tungstun uncaptured in my G24. They both have marks on them, the tungstun more so than the SS. I haven't had any problems with either. I have a lot more rounds through the G34, and the scoring seems to have found a "comfortable place" and stopped. I can thell this because I regularly clean both and still finds particles from the tungstun rod on the barrel's greased areas. The G34 was also doing this, but has stopped.

No malfunctions due to this in either, but I regularly inspect the scoring for overly deep groves or edges that would cause binding after reading some else had this issue (Eric).

thanks guys we'll keep an eye on it.

I have a THE tungston guide rod with ISMI 15 lb. flat recoil spring, non-captured, in my G24. I've been shooting this pistol with this guide rod in it for the last year. I don't know exactly how many rounds I have through it with the rod in place, but at least 2-3000.

The rod began to show a bit of an irregularity right away, but I've kept an eye on it now for about 8 months, and it isn't getting any worse. It doesn't seem to effect reliability at all.

I've stopped worrying about it.

Andy C.

I run THE tungsten guide rod in my G34 and 15LB ISMI flat wire spring.

I have run this set-up for the past 4 years and have saw the scoring ,but it has stopped and hasnt gotten any worse,and I have never seend fine metal particles from it ( if I had that would have been the end of the guide rod in my gun)

And have never seen a tungsten guide rod break as in the other thread!

I did however ,polish my tungsten rod to a mirror shine and polish it up ever time I clean the 34.

Maybe thats the secret,A good high polish!

Jeff

I run THE tungsten guide rod in my G34 and 15LB ISMI flat wire spring.

I have run this set-up for the past 4 years and have saw the scoring ,but it has stopped and hasnt gotten any worse,and I have never seend fine metal particles from it ( if I had that would have been the end of the guide rod in my gun)

And have never seen a tungsten guide rod break as in the other thread!

I did however ,polish my tungsten rod to a mirror shine and polish it up ever time I clean the 34.

Maybe thats the secret,A good high polish!

Jeff

Oh, they were there... Can't lose metal without them. Its possible the grease I'm using held them, and since I was such a clean-freak when I first started shooting, saw them immediately after the matches. Very small particles, nothing to get upset about. Seen worse come out of every new vehicle engine I ever changed the oil on. Just two metal moving parts getting comfortable with each other.

Im running the Glockmeister Tungsten Recoil Rod---[GMTGR] I had just a bit of scoring at the forward end--not the cap end--but nothing on the rod body itself. I just used some 600grit on it and it cleaned up nice. I did taper it just a bit so there was a slight bullet shape to it. Im running a 12lb wolfe recoil with slide glide on the rod and NO malfunctions at all. You shot it saturday----pretty smooth huh???