Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking Up Brass

Ignatz

I noticed at my last Fun match, in order to keep the match moving, there's no time to pick up your spent cases. Is there an proper etiquette to come home with some of your brass, or do you just figure its gone when you shoot a match.

It's about the same around here. You might grab a few here and there between setting up and pasting targets or hang out after the match and pick up a few, but for the most part forget about it. There is probably as much or more value in paying attention to the way other shooters run the course or catching their mistakes as there is in a few pieces of brass. I'm as cheap as anybody, but I would rather pay attention to the match when you figure you're only loosing maybe $3 or $4 worth of brass. I've also had plenty of days where I come out ahead on brass, so it all equals out.

Because 95% or more of our club reloads, brassing is as much a part of the resetting of a stage as is pasting. .40 brass is relatively cheap but I think the folks shooting .38 stupor will argue the point with you.

Besides, it tends to clutter up the ground. :)

FWIW

dj

I ususally figure about $0.09 for a piece of brass. Our local matches have you shoot 100 to 130 rounds. So, that's more like a $10 expense.

Last time I checked, 38 SuperAuto+P was about the same cost as .40S&W new brass. Now if you're shooting one of the other 38 somethings, then that's going to cost a little more.

Most of the shooters at my local matches reload, so we just take turns at brassing along with taping and resetting stages. You can still watch the shooter shoot.

If the match organizers allow for policing the brass within the squad duties, fine, if not, wait until afterwards if you really have to have it back.

But do remember to ask before policing for your/other/any brass afterwards (at larger matches this is sometimes not allowed for various reasons).

Local club matches and practice sessions are usually the only venues where you will be getting much, if any brass back. Most large matches are "Lost Brass" affairs and you have to accept this as part of doing biz.

Chasing brass takes time during the match that is probably better spent watching other shooters, understanding the stage, and just socializing in general. It seems to be more fun to consider it a lost-brass match while shooting the stages. After the match is over and props put away, I go back and pick up the brass that is easy to find.

One way to make sure you pick up your own brass is to mark it in some way using felt pens on the cas heads or using the various methods to put colored stripes on them. I use a brass striper from hosercam.com and pick colors that no one else uses. That way I tend to get more of my brass back regardless of caliber. I've had other squads pick up brass for me, behind me, and give me my brass after the match. Pretty cool :)

Vince

One way to make sure you pick up your own brass is to mark it in some way using felt pens on the cas heads or using the various methods to put colored stripes on them. I use a brass striper from hosercam.com and pick colors that no one else uses. That way I tend to get more of my brass back regardless of caliber. I've had other squads pick up brass for me, behind me, and give me my brass after the match. Pretty cool :)

Vince

+1-brassmaster from Hosercam!!

Vince

+1-brassmaster from Hosercam!!

Of course one other way to get back your brass at matches is to have a moonclipped revolver.. Even at lost brass matches I get all my brass back :)

Vince

At most of the local matches and practice sessions around here, policing brass is part of resetting the stages. Convention is that the RO (SO), the on-deck shooter, and the shooter that just finished are exempt from pasting/setting/policing brass, everybody else is supposed to do something, with the priority on pasting and setting steel.

Big matches are lost brass affairs. There you get caught between using new brass for reliability in a match that really counts and wanting to use your oldest batch because you know that you are throwing it out.

I suspect that the best scheme is buy a roll sizer, shoot either 9mm or 40S&W, and buy used brass in bulk. Then the loss of $0.02 a case is no big deal, even at a local match.

Me? I shoot 45 ACP and 223 Rem, and I pick brass whenever I can.

Billski

I always pick up my own brass while the stage is being reset after I've shot (and seen the targets with the RO). I also use a brassmaster (well - mine's a BrassMasterette) and once my squad mates see me picking it up, they generally tend to help since it's easy to spot.

I shoot .38 supercomp - it costs $106/1000 If I left it after every local match I'd soon not have enough money left to attend those local matches!

Most local matches I've shot you can pick-up your brass. At one range it is mandatory. If your not on deck you should be picking up brass or reseting the stage. If you look around there are some people who always pick-up brass and set it on the range table. At one club there is a guy who brings a sifter and picks up brass, I'll try to be squaded with him if possible.

Our local squads never pick up brass. Of course you may find the occasional Open shooter or .45 shooter picking up a few pieces, but the main brass shagging happens after the match.

I picked up my .45 brass for a long time, then decided to let it lay. It was like a weight was lifted off me. I was able to spend more time paying attention to the important aspects of the match like shooting.

Now my wife leaves her/my .45 brass on the ground. I shoot .40, so I could care less if I ever get any back unless I'm practicing (mandatory there + just common sense).

I picked up my .45 brass for a long time, then decided to let it lay. It was like a weight was lifted off me. I was able to spend more time paying attention to the important aspects of the match like shooting.

Good description.

I don't pick up my brass for obvious reasons, I think it should be left to after the match, Some stages take way too long as is! Although there are some good brass scavengers out there that will catch it in mid air! ;)

Ivan