Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advice On New .22 Handgun

Today officially marked my 20th year in the National Guard. My wife surprised me after work by handing me a card with her handwritten 'coupon' for a new pistol to mark the occasion. What i am craving the most right now is a good .22 pistol. I am fairly active in a weekly steel shooting club and we shoot both centerfire and rimfire. For RF i currently shoot a S&W model 622 which is so light i always pull high when coming up and would like to try something else. Can you guys suggest a good 22 for this application? Right off the bat, let me take the S&W 41 off the table - the coupon is not that big. I am a 1911 shooter and prefer that style of grip over the more slanted 'Luger' style grips. Thanks guys!

Husker

Granted, the 22/45 is a strong contender.

But my pick would go to the S&W 617 - it is also a 10 shot.

I believe in the 22 the revolver is the way to go unless it just has to be a semi, then the 22/45 takes it.

I really like the Kimber Rimfire Conversion unit for the 1911. It converts to a fixed barrel tack driver. It is useful for steel and practice. That gives you platform familiarity if you shoot both back to back too. They are $309 retail, and can be found under $300 online. Extra magazines are $22 or so.

If you gift card is enough look at the Marvel conversions. I bought one to use on one of my Wilson frames. It shoots far better than I do. I have had no malfunctions or ejection problems. Make sure if you go this route you use only high velocity ammo.

I like the MK II & MK III from Ruger. I had a MK II for many years and have been shooting the 5 in barrel MK III for the past few years. They are reliable and just plain fun to shoot. I replaced my front site with the Hi-Viz interchangeable fiber optic and it's terrific.

-Cuz.

If you gift card is enough look at the Marvel conversions. I bought one to use on one of my Wilson frames. It shoots far better than I do. I have had no malfunctions or ejection problems. Make sure if you go this route you use only high velocity ammo.

+1 for the Marvel conversion kit. If you already have a 1911 or 2011 framed gun you cant go wrong. It would be practice w/ the same grip and same trigger.

Anything High Standard.

My Supermatic Citation is one of my firearms I will never part with.

The geometry may be close to a 1911 but the controls are not.

It may have the finest trigger in my safe and the Supermatic Citation is box stock!

FM

+1 for the Marvel conversion kit. If you already have a 1911 or 2011 framed gun you cant go wrong. It would be practice w/ the same grip and same trigger.

+2, just get a Marvel. You can switch it up quickly, same trigger, safety etc. You can draw from a Holster with it, its as accurate as anything out there if not more so.

Flyin40