Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me Decide 650 0r 550? Why Not Buy Case Feeder Later?

Thanks Flex.

I've heard so much about the 650 and powder checkers that I have to wonder what the deal is. I've loaded tons of ammo on all kinds of presses over the last 35 years and have never had powder not drop. My 3 SDBs have never skipped a beat either. Even so, I still look in every case for powder and probably always will.

Looking at the problems on this forum people have with 650s, I've been really thinking about the Hornady. Not sure if I want to give up auto-indexing, or I'd get a 550 with a casefeeder for reliability. Right now I'm in "wait and see" mode.

+1 NewGuy.

.... but a house without a 550 will never be a home!

FM

oh yeah!! B)

Which really make me wonder if I should buy a 550 and when more funds available get a 650 to :wacko: .

I really like BE but wish there was somebody local I could go and look and compare them.

Do we have anybody near Grand Rapids MI with a 550 and or 650?

Skip the small incremental steps and go to a 1050 for every caliber you load heavily. Then keep a 550 in large primer and one in small primer setups around for all the oddball stuff you acquire and load only infrequently. B)

Skip the small incremental steps and go to a 1050 for every caliber you load heavily. Then keep a 550 in large primer and one in small primer setups around for all the oddball stuff you acquire and load only infrequently. B)

I love the idea of two 550's.

You'll always have a back up machine and parts. :)

Bad things happen if you are reloading at the last minute. :(

(I don't get to shoot enough to justify a 650/1050)

FM

I tend to agree with Merlin. I once picked up a 1050 with 4 toolheads (barely used) for $750. I've picked up 3 over the years, all under 1K.

They are simply great machines.

I think I HATE YOU

Three 1050's DAD is that you how do I get put in you will :blink:

I was sponsored by Dillon when I was competing. So I had Powder Check Systems on the bench (for my 1050), but I never put them on the machine. Why?

a. Just one more thing to fiddle with every time you not only switch calibers, but change the powder charge in a particular caliber.

b. Reloading is about paying attention to everything that is happening - every time you pull the handle. Looking into the case to check the powder before placing the bullet is something I did every single time. That doesn't take any extra time if you are using your eyes properly. I also feel that not using the Powder Check System kept me more sensitive to feeling and being aware of the machine, overall.

c. One Dillon customer bought a 650 w/ Powder Check System from me. Some time later he emailed me a pic of the mirror he used to replace the Powder Check System.

On the Casefeeder... like I said somewhere in Which Dillon or the Dillon FAQs - you gotta be insane to buy the 650 w/o the Casefeeder. (I might be paraphrasing.)

;)

So that's what I need a sponsor.

I didn't realize the 650 came with a case tube even if you didn't get the feeder that would be a pain.

For that matter I found one on ebay but it also doesn't have that tube.He wants almost new price no tube or primer alarm.

Guess I will keep saving and using the B for awhile longer.

Now I wish I had known all about this site (even more) before I bought my Hornady LNL. My .02$ if you are thinking about getting a 650, then do it, because you know that you may have the need for that kind of rate.

I started on a 550, moved up to 650, now have a 1050.

If you can afford it, get the 1050. You will not regret it.

If you can't afford the 1050, get the 650 with the goodies.

Advantages over casefed 550: auto indexing, extra station for powder check.

I don't know about you, but the less time spent at the loading bench, the more other things I can do. Time is more valuable than money to me. I can always pay off the Visa, but I can't cram more hours into the day.

Highly recommend the powdercheck. It's saved my behind. By preventing doublecharges/squibs, the 650 with powdercheck more than pay for themselves.

In the meantime, get a RF100. It'll speed things up tremedously all by itself. The most bang for the buck offered by Dillon, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar dilemea about 1 1/2 years ago.

I decided to go with the 550b largely because of the cost factor. I also got into competitive shooting at the same time. The first year I had the 550 I loaded around 10K rounds thru it. :D

I don't think the cost difference warrants a 650 when someone is on a budget, the 550 is a great work of art/machinery. It will do everything the 650 will all be it slightly slower. I can load 400 rounds an hour EASY at a slow pace and I can do 600 rounds for 1 hour pushing hard. I think the way I have the 550 set up is ideal.

Buy 550b with strong mount

Buy at least 4 blue bins (1 holds 200 45 acp rounds)

Buy the empty shell holder/ loaded bullet thingy that uses the blue bins

Take extra piece of metal left over and mount it on left of machine, cut with hacksaw so it

will hold a blue bin to hold bullets in (somewhere there is a picture of this)

Buy 4 extra primer pickup tubes for the caliber you are loading, load before you start a

session

Buy a desk swing boom lamp to place over station 3, bullet seating die

Buy roller handle when funds permit

As you load:

1. pick up and insert brass

2. pick up bullet, look in station 3 for powder, seat bullet

3. pull handle

4. push handle to seat primer

5. repeat

The 550 does everything I need it to. I had 1 squib load with my first batch. After that I added the light over station 3 and now I check EVERY round visually for powder. It works great. Do I want a 650 with casefeeder? YEP!!! but for now the 550 works and it is quick to change calibers with the extra tool head.

Hope this helps...... B)

Well for the time being I am going to keep using my Square deal b.

I finally remembered to buy some case lube.They didn't have one shot but I founds some lyman quick spray and HOLY COW what a deference.

When I do manage to save up the extra coin I prolly will get the 650 and case feeder but right now the B does everything I need it to.

Sader72 mentions a bracket to hold an acrobin for bullets. I do the same thing on my SDBs and plan on using it for my 650 as well.

Check out the pic below for mine.

All you need is a piece of 16 GA sheet metal at least the width of the acrobin. Bolt/screw it to your bench and it's done. My piece of sheet metal already had slots milled in it so it's height adjustable, but this isn't necessary as the height never needs to be adjusted. I like the bins because I normally grab a handful of bullets to feed the press, but it works just as well if you grab them one at a time.

If you buy the bins from Lowes, they come with a mounting bracket, but I doubt it's sturdy enough to be used for this purpose. I guess not everyone uses these things for ammo B)

My bullet "tray"

Edited by JFD

Any body know why they recommend to buy the case feeder right away?

100 rds in 6 to 7 minutes, and you could go faster? H-mmm, your 650 must have a much shorter throw than mine. You are pulling the handle every 4.2 seconds to make 100 in seven minutes and every 3.6 seconds to obtain 100 rds in 6 minutes.

The best I can do is load a round every 15 or 16 seconds, which results in 100 rds taking me 25 minutes to complete. If I try to go any faster it results in banging the loader around, spilling powder on stage 4 and having primer feed problems.

Your claim (along with quite a few others) seems, well; a bit optimistic to me. Just my 2 cents worth though........................piniongear

SPEED...., the 650 is the daddy to the B while the 1050 is the granddaddy but has it's drawbacks as well.

I can punch out 100 rounds in 6-7 minutes and that's taking my time at a steady medium speed. Crank the handle, place bullet, crank handle...repeat...

600 to 700 quality rounds in an hour at that speed suits me just fine even though I could go faster.

I have 9 primer tubes so it's fill brass & powder hoppers, fill primer tubes with my FA primer filler, fill bullet tray to max and load away. oh' I have multiple bins to catch loaded rounds as well all within arms reach.

Sader72 mentions a bracket to hold an acrobin for bullets. I do the same thing on my SDBs and plan on using it for my 650 as well.

Check out the pic below for mine.

All you need is a piece of 16 GA sheet metal at least the width of the acrobin. Bolt/screw it to your bench and it's done. My piece of sheet metal already had slots milled in it so it's height adjustable, but this isn't necessary as the height never needs to be adjusted. I like the bins because I normally grab a handful of bullets to feed the press, but it works just as well if you grab them one at a time.

If you buy the bins from Lowes, they come with a mounting bracket, but I doubt it's sturdy enough to be used for this purpose. I guess not everyone uses these things for ammo B)

My bullet "tray"

Nice I need to work on making two brackets one for bullet I been laying them out on the bench and another for my empty case.currently I hang it off the load cartrige bin but would like somtheing stronger.

Thanks for the Idea's

• 2 weeks later...

If you plan on having several caliber conversions an d need a justification for casefeeder then getting a micrometer from uniquetek can allow you to skip the extra powder measures at $70 a pop and now you have the money saved for casefeeder that much faster. not necessary but a sure pleasure

I had never reloaded before and I was faced with a similar dilemma... I was torn between the 550B and the XL650.

After many sleepless nights, I decided to buy the XL650 with all the goodies from BEnos.com and I couldn't be any happier.

I'm so glad I bought the 650 instead of the 550. The casefeeder and auto-indexing is an awesome combo. The optional powder check system is also cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Don't even think of getting the 650 without the casefeeder. It's an absolute must.

Get the XL650 with all the bells and whistles and don't look back :)