Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Internet Scams

bountyhunter

I couldn't make up anything this stupid...... the sad part is, thousands of people will fall for it:

AmericanExpress@email.americanexpress.com

Wouldn't it be helpful if someone you trusted could manage your account? With Authorized Access, a fee-free feature of your American Express® Card, you'll have the power to appoint third-party individuals to help manage your account on your behalf—including Additional Cardmembers. Depending on your needs, you can choose from two levels of access:

It only takes a few minutes to enroll.(1) So give access to someone you trust and help make managing your account even easier. When enrolling, please have the following information ready: name, address, phone, e-mail, and Social Security number of each person you wish to give access to your account.

:angry:

Well, here's another e-mail scam. I actually do have a Chase credit card, so at least they are not sending me phoney e-mails for cards I don't even own (like VISA). This one shows Asian dialect syntax and the originator needs to hire somebody who is fluent in English:

Dear client of Chase Bank,

Technical services of Chase are planned (SIC) to be updated. We honestly ask you to visit the following link to update your customers (SIC) data.

To get started, please click the link below:

http://www.chase.com/ch/meconf.php

This instruction has been sent to all bank customers and is obligatory (SIC) to follow.

Thank You,

Chase Customer Service.

"We honestly ask you"? As opposed to, we lie when we ask you?

I'd flunk a fifth grader who couldn't write any better than that. :lol:

Just curious. Why would you have even opened that email up to read it? That should have been deleted unread to prevent any possible compromise.

-Cuz.

Because I actually do have an American Express account and I could not be sure from the title that it was fake.

I guess that would be a good reason. Damn those pesky bastards are good. They actually pretend to be from institutions where people have legitimate (sp?) accounts. No wonder they're so successful. :)

-Cuz.

I hate the scams too. Got one recently stating it was from CITI bank. I never do anything via e mail so I left it alone, went to the CITI bank web site and got the info necessary to forward them the e mail.

Hope they follow up.

I am at a point I wish I had stayed with pen and paper rather than a computer and cash rather than any form of card. Cards are necessary for me but a computer is questionable :unsure:

If you want a real chuckle, open the email, then select 'edit', then hit 'select all' or just hit 'control A' to select all. There will generally be a bunch of random gibberish hidden in the email to spoof spam filters sometimes it's pretty funny stuff.

Nolan

Here's the latest scam:

Here's how you know it's a scam. There's a grammar error indicative of a non-English speaking author:

appreciate your assistance in helping us maintaining (sic) the integrity of the entire Citibank Account Online system

no-reply@citibank.com

Dear Citibank Valued Customer,

One of our highest priorities is to ensure your privacy and peace of mind by employing some of the most advanced online security measures in the industry. The recent changes in your account gives us reasons to believe that your Citibank account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party.

We are asking you to immediately login, provide requested information to ensure you are the owner of the account, check your account profile to make sure no changes have been made and report any unnoticed password changes, unauthorized withdrawals or deposits.

In case you are not enrolled for Citibank Account Online, after verification process click 'Register Now' and you will be redirected to complete the enrollement. Once you are done, you will be able to use your own Login Name and Password to check your Citibank account history.

You can also ensure the security of your information by following these steps:

Never reveal your Login Name and Password to anyone.

Always log off before leaving your computer or accessing other Web sites.

Please click Sign on button to start:

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintaining the integrity of the entire Citibank Account Online system.

Please login as soon as possible and please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.