Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Much Do You Dryfire?

Singlestack

As I was sitting at my PC this morning, I heard in the living room the sound of a gun come out of a holster and then the distinct sound of a hammer drop. I was home alone so all of the alarm bells went off in my head. I got up and peeked into the living room to find no one was there except my African Grey Parrot.

He has been doing it all morning. I can even hear the safety go off and the recocking of the hammer. The hammer drop sounds so real its erie...

He's got the timing down too.

I'm glad I have not been using the timer in the living room.

I'm not complaining here. This is WAY better than screaming....

My ex-girlfriend had a Blue-front Amazon.  She and her parents were eating pizza one day.  The bird is hanging off the edge of the cage, trying to get as close to the table as possible...in a nice little begging voice, the bird says, "...Is it good".

The African Greys are supposed to be the most prolific mimics/talkers.  Pretty cool that John's picked up the dry-fire.  I am happy for him that it didn't pick up on the BEEEEEP!

Before anyone runs out and buys a parrot though...imagine having a two-year-old kid for the next fifty years.  

This is funny because we have an african grey to. She also mimics all the various clicking and clacking of dryfiring.

A few years ago I had taught the bird to wolf whistle. So one day while I working in the yard, my very pregnant wife comes out to "supervise". At this moment a female neighbor is walking by wearing "bike" shorts. The bird whistles through the open screen door the instant the neighbor is right in front of me. my wife and I smile, thinking "OH cute bird". Then I look to see the neighbor walking stiffly away with her nose in the air. To this day the neighbor thinks I am a perv.

Keith

Quote: from TDean on 11:11 pm on April 18, 2002

Come-on!!

Are you serious?  No way?!?!?!!!? ...?...!..?..

WAY! lol   African Greys are extremely intelligent. Too smart for thier own good.

Flex said: "Before anyone runs out and buys a parrot though...imagine having a two-year-old kid for the next fifty years."

Truer words were never said! The purchase of a Parrot is a lifelong commitmant. I will have to will mine to someone.

I have 6 birds and they all talk except for one. The Grey is the best by far. He comes up with something new about once a week. We have to be careful how we talk in my house.....

About 2 weeks ago, we had a couple over for some cards. The Grey was really interested in what we were doing and stretching out as far as he could from his cage and watching. The couple was laughing at him and I turned to see what he was doing. As our eyes met he said: Whatch y'all doin?  We all had a good laugh on that one.

John, just for kicks you should take him to the range sometime.   Shooter ready?   roc.... Stand By!    B-BAM, B-BAM , B-BAM.......... in a couple of weeks he could be doing a sub five El Prez complete with turn and reload.

Reminds me of a joke about a parrot with no legs....hehehe.  But I ain't going to tell it. :0

• 8 years later...

John, just for kicks you should take him to the range sometime. Shooter ready? roc.... Stand By! B-BAM, B-BAM , B-BAM.......... in a couple of weeks he could be doing a sub five El Prez complete with turn and reload.

Reminds me of a joke about a parrot with no legs....hehehe. But I ain't going to tell it. :0

Only problem is it would be, " ready?", "Standby", "BEEEEEP", BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, reload, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM. Then in 3-5 seconds it would start all over again!

• 5 weeks later...

My mother in law had an African Grey, and it talked up a storm and was mean as a snake. A mean snake, at that.

After she passed away (emphysema, don't smoke, kids) the bird (which figured prominently in her will) was bequeathed to my sister in law.

For the first week or so after she got him, he didn't speak at all, which I guess is common when their circumstances change radically. About a week into having him, she calls my wife, her sister, completely terrified and out of her mind with horror; turns out the bird had started coughing and clearing its throat, then groaning, in a precise and perfect imitation of my (now deceased) mother in law. My sister went over, and came back nearly shaking with fright. She said it was a near to a ghost as anyone could imagine....

I'd be glad of the dry-firing!!

Larry

Too funny.

My German Shep follows me everywhere...If we are in the basement and I start strapping on my rig, he drops his head and slowly walks upstairs because he knows I wont let him stay down there while I am dryfiring.