Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prize Table!

J.Bagakis

Ron, thanks for your excellent posts.

I agree with you that in today's world, trying to win a gun is an economically losing proposition. 15-20 years ago, that was not necessarily the case. Back "in the day," a good shooter who was selective about the matches stood a chance of coming out ahead. For several years in the height of my bowling pin shooting career, I was able to pull this off.

On some levels, it was nice to be able to "support my habit" this way, and I do think it contributed to developing the right competitive mindset and ability to perform under pressure. But in the big picture, I like it better now when winning something is a nice bonus, but the real prize is the shooting experience itself.

Call me a reformed mercenary! :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have known Ron for awhile and it seems like Ron always knows what to say and at the right time.

Had fun shooting with you and Rich in Colorado last year and it was truly good to see some old friends.

Can't make the IRC this year, but will be there in 2007, gecko and all.

Dean :)

Well if you are a top shooter, order of finish is preferable.

If you are not a top shooter, raffles are more enticing.

If you are a running a match, whatever fills up the slots without driving you insane is the answer.

Unless your match is big enough that lots of good shooters make a point to go out of their way and shoot it, order of finish doesn't help attendance much. Without attendance, you don't get big enough to attract top shooters.

also if you are local to a couple of top notch shooters, having someone farm your match for cash/prizes isn't really much of a competition. For every magnanimous gesture there's five guys trying to sell their prize out in the parking lot. With raffles, you see a bit less of that.

I thought this would be a good place to ask for thoughts on this subject.

(snip)

I recently shot a major Revolver match and the two match winners (not me) did not go to the prize table first, the whole prize table was done by raffle.

(snip)

I asked the match director why he did the whole prize table by raffle and he told me, He and most shooters were tired of see the same Top shooters getting the guns and just selling them.

(snip)

John

John, I've been meaning to ask, how was this match advertised ??

Was ANY mention made as to prize distribution ??

DaveP

also if you are local to a couple of top notch shooters, having someone farm your match for cash/prizes isn't really much of a competition. For every magnanimous gesture there's five guys trying to sell their prize out in the parking lot. With raffles, you see a bit less of that.

IMO

Farming a match isn't worth your time if you are a top shooter...

The people who complain about prize distribution being done in order of finish are the ones that don't do the work to win the top prizes.

Order of finish distribution greatly reduces sandbagging.

Raffles are fine as long as you advertise it.

Thats why the "class" system is in effect at most matches, to distribute adequate prizes, in order of finish. This allows a good B,C or D shooter a crack at a firearm or other high dollar prize, without directly competing with the top dogs in the sport.

I have long since past my prime in the shooting sports to be to agitated about this new raffle system, but when I was one of the top ten or so, who had a chance at taking a match, I would not have attended such an event. To the victor, go the spoils, thats what it is about.....or at least so I thought?

If you want to shoot "for the fun of it"....go can plinking or informal target shooting, but paying a hefty entry fee and travel etc., one usually goes to either have a real chance of winning, or the sheer desire to shoot with the best, in hopes of getting better himself.

I thought this would be a good place to ask for thoughts on this subject.

(snip)

I recently shot a major Revolver match and the two match winners (not me) did not go to the prize table first, the whole prize table was done by raffle.

(snip)

I asked the match director why he did the whole prize table by raffle and he told me, He and most shooters were tired of see the same Top shooters getting the guns and just selling them.

(snip)

John

John, I've been meaning to ask, how was this match advertised ??

Was ANY mention made as to prize distribution ??

DaveP

I have looked for my enrty and can't find it, But to the best of my knowledge this match did not say one way or the other.

As I recall the prize table last year they gave the Match winner a gun and left the Limited winner hanging (six guns one to the match winner and the rest by Raffle), after that I beleive it was order of finish.

I have been told the IRC prize table will be done as it was last year.

1st in each class then 2nd in each class, 3rd in each, then order of finish alternating from Open to Limited.

i belive that last years southwest match was that they had 3 guns to give to the shooters, and 3 were raffled. the 3 that went to the shooters were, 1 gun to 1st overall, the 2nd gun went to ?place and the 3rd gun went to 52nd place.

By the way, raffle matches suck. 1st one I shot, i was the dead last person drawn and the 2nd one I shot I was 3rd from last.

Edited by JohnRodriguez