Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Jm Model

Chuck Anderson

I've been looking for a revolver again and almost bought a 646 but it sounds like that might not be the best choice. I'm looking at two different 625's now, one is a PC 625 with a 5" bbl that has had most of the underlug removed. The other is the 625 JM model with the 4" bbl with full underlug. Which one works better for IPSC? Also what's a good price on the JM gun? Are they worth any extra over a base 625?

I had one of the 625PC s in 4". I will say it was a wonderfull Revolver.

But in my opinion, I think you should go with a box stock 625 5", do a couple of mods to it and be done. As a good friend of mine said "if the PC s and JM s are so good, why doesnt the great one him self ( Jerry M ) shoot one"

Just my 2 cents

Actually, I agree with hdgun. Regular 5" 625 with an action job, chamfer, maybe different sights, and you're all set. If you shop the used gun market carefully (and do your own action work) you can accomplish this for around $500.

I've been looking for a revolver again and almost bought a 646 but it sounds like that might not be the best choice. I'm looking at two different 625's now, one is a PC 625 with a 5" bbl that has had most of the underlug removed. The other is the 625 JM model with the 4" bbl with full underlug. Which one works better for IPSC? Also what's a good price on the JM gun? Are they worth any extra over a base 625?

What problem did you discover with the 646?

-Albert

Hey Lawman,

Here's another vote for the 5" 625, mine's been working great and you've seen the few modifications I've done to it.

If you decide to get new, Sportsman's Warehouse seem to have the best prices in the area.

If you need any help revolver wise, let me know.

JV

-Albert

Just did a search and saw that the 646 seemed to jump around too much with major loads. Didn't seem like the best choice.

Sounds like the 625 is the way to go. Is it that much better than a 40? I'm set up for reloading 40 and don't really want another setup. I got rid of my last 625 because I didn't want to load and it's not much fun with factory ammo.

-Albert

Just did a search and saw that the 646 seemed to jump around too much with major loads. Didn't seem like the best choice.

Sounds like the 625 is the way to go. Is it that much better than a 40? I'm set up for reloading 40 and don't really want another setup. I got rid of my last 625 because I didn't want to load and it's not much fun with factory ammo.

Shoot the 646 in minor.

regards,

I have a PC 625 and agree with the advice given. Find a good basic 625 5" and modify to fit your needs.

However, if you know anyone with a 25-2 with a 6" or 6 1/2" barrel, you may want to test fire it. They are nice to shoot and not anymore expensive than the 625.

Dave

I have a 5" JM PC625 with the cut away underlug. I got it just because, and I liked the idea of a 5" with a little less weight at the muzzle and I "Wanted" the Interchangable Front Sights (I gotta have something to tinker with!!! But, then it boiled down to "I thought it looked cool". LOL!

The best value is the standard 5" 625. The PC 625 won't have any extra work done at the factory that you won't want re-done at some time.

You might be a good candidate for a 610.

Or borrow a 646 and try it, the recoil's not that drastic at major p.f., very nice with minor.

The only real pro to the JM model is that it has the PC chrome guts in it. They tend to give nicer action jobs than the regular MIM guts, Randy can chime in on this. I don't think the price of the JM is that much over a plain Jane 625. But like the Mike (Carmoney) said, look around for a used one and you'll get a great deal.

My "A" gun is the 625JM (Non-PC). If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the stock 5" gun, as I don't plan on shooting IDPA. However, I have really enjoyed the JM, and you wouldn't be undergunned with it. The extra inch in barrel, though, makes a nicer shooter for matches.

I had actually looked at a 6 or 6.5 inch Model 25, older gun great trigger the bluing was in great condition. I immediately laid down the $325.00 the guy was asking for it. Luckily I forgot my FFL at home that day and had to go through the background check. Gun came back stolen. The dealer bought it from a police dept at auction and they forgot to clear it. Nevertheless it is still sitting in Portland Police's evidence room, never to see the light of day again.

I think I'll play with a couple of revolvers first to see what feels better before buying anything. If only there was a revolver shooter locally that would let me play with his stuff (Jerry V).

You want to play with my 625?????....:huh:

... not a problem :D

In fact I'm sure your going to the classifier match at Dundee next Sat. right ? I suppose I could bring a couple hundred extra rounds and perhaps both use it for the match ?? You just need holster, belt & moonclip holders which you'll need anyway.

I'll pm you my phone number.

Just for record, the plain jane 625 and 625JM are only $19 apart. What you get in the brass bead front sight and JM grips. That was worth the $25 bucks to me. comparing the 160936 and 160935