Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 In Limited?

with a reason to shoot a 45 in limited other than it makes bigger holes. Higher reloading costs, lower mag capacity, scarce brass, and you can add to the list.

If brass isn't an issue and you are set up for 45, would the mag capacity still be a deal breaker.

Best Mag Cap in 140 legal .45 S_I's I've ever heard of (not seen mind you) was 17, but I think 16 is more credible.

Considering almost everyone in .40 gets 20+1 it might make enough difference, it might not.

Edited by dirtypool40

With Para mags, Dawson followers and Dawson Pads, I can get 18 (+1 in the gun) easly in a Para 14.45. Is that enough? I don't know. It's the gun that I have, and right now I'm happy to shoot it. I don't know how much more a higher capicty would help. Maybe a lot, maybe no so much.

Eric

with a reason to shoot a 45 in limited other than it makes bigger holes. Higher reloading costs, lower mag capacity, scarce brass, and you can add to the list.

If brass isn't an issue and you are set up for 45, would the mag capacity still be a deal breaker.

If EricBudd can get 18+1 in a Para I guess that's not bad at all. Eric, is the length of your mag at 140mm?

One thing that I didn't see mentioned is recoil. I've never shot a .45 Limited gun but I shoot a 1911 at Single Stack Matches and shoot a Limited in .40 and I would say that my .40 Limited gun produces lower recoil than my 1911, both shooting a 168pf load. My splits are a tad faster in the Limited gun.

I was told when I first got into the game to shoot .40 due to lower recoil and higher round count. What would be some of the benefits to shooting .45 in IPSC other than the size of the bullet hole?

With Para mags, Dawson followers and Dawson Pads, I can get 18 (+1 in the gun) easly in a Para 14.45. Is that enough? I don't know. It's the gun that I have, and right now I'm happy to shoot it. I don't know how much more a higher capicty would help. Maybe a lot, maybe no so much.

Eric

you're right, and I have heard of 18+1 in Para type guns, but in S_I's you lose even more.

By the time you try to shoot "standard" it's even worse, something like 18 in .40 vs 12 or 13 in .45.

By the time you try to shoot "standard" it's even worse, something like 18 in .40 vs 12 or 13 in .45.

I think 14 or 15 is more accurate. A Glock 21 already holds 13+1 and some +2 box fit basepads could get you 15+1. Still not great, but good enough to do really well.

Spook is spot on.

A Para 14-45, out of the box, gives you 14+1 and I guess with a bit of experimenting maybe 15+1 can be achieved.

Other than that, I guess with .40" you have a wider choice of available bullet weights, with better profile: in .40 you can find RN or FP bullets ranging from 145 grs up to 220, while it is my understanding that in .45" your available bullets range from 160 to 230 grs.

Now, given the fact that most shooters prefer a lighter bullet propelled by some fast burning powder, the .45" might be limiting you in this field.

Edited by Skywalker

Right on Luca. But then again, if you consider TGO's 1.36s Bill Drill with a Stock Springfield and 200 PF Factory Hardball ammo, I wonder how much of a difference the weight of the bullets will make ;)

Sounds like a .45 in Limited/Standard would be a nice (or at least an OK) setup. The only reason I would not shoot it is price/availability of brass.

The only reason I would not shoot it is price/availability of brass.

Spook,

if this was the reason, I should've stopped shooting Standard in .40" long time ago ... :D

Luckily The Brass Man can provide it at very cheap rates (compared to Italian ones). ;)

Edited by Skywalker

My reason for shooting limited with a 45 is that I have 6 & I don't want to have a lot of different calibers of brass laying around. The open gun is a Glock 21 with Taylor basepads for 17+1, the Para is 18+1, Springfield & Custom 45 for limited 10, a Charles Daly for steel & an Officers Model for carry. I think an XD 45 is in the future.

While I do shoot a 40 in limited I don't think a 45 is out of the question.

I like the 45 as it is more forgiving to reload.

The reason being that it operates at about half the chamber pressure of a 40 S&W.

This gives me more of a comfort level (margin for error) especially when loading the faster powders that soften recoil.

IMHO, the mag capacity is really the only disadvantage.

I own a Para P14 which will hold 16 with a Dawson base pad.

Some shooters claim it is possible to get more.

I also own an STI Edge in 45 which holds 15 with Dawson +1 pads.

Beven Grams claims 16 in his tuned mags in a 2011.

Giving up a few rounds to the 40 gunners may cause you to make a extra mag change in a long field course.

However, that depends of the course of fire.

If there are mandatory reloads or the COF allows for reloading on the move, the mag capacity is less of a factor.

Tls

I shoot a Para Ordinance in .45acp in Limited.

I can get 17 rounds in a magazine (Dawson basepad, Arredondo follower, Wolff spring). With a little tweaking, I'm sure I could get 18.

On most of the classifiers, it isn't an issue. Usually, you shoot 6-8 rounds then there is a mandatory reload.

On field courses, the only time it becomes an issue is if the round count falls into the

18-21 round range, where I have to reload and a .40 shooter doesn't. Past 21 rounds, both a .40 shooter, and a .45 shooter have to reload.

Is it a disadvantage to shoot .45 in limited?

In my opinion, yes.

Is it enough of a disadvantage to make me spend the money on a new gun and reloading gear?

No.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

On field courses, the only time it becomes an issue is if the round count falls into the

18-21 round range, where I have to reload and a .40 shooter doesn't. Past 21 rounds, both a .40 shooter, and a .45 shooter have to reload.

Is it a disadvantage to shoot .45 in limited?

In my opinion, yes.

I also shoot a Para .45 in limited. I use Para mag bodies with dawson pads and Arredondo followers. I have one magazine that will take 18 rounds (3 others take 17, one only 16, go figure); so, at the buzzer I can have 19 rounds in the gun. How often do you come across a field course requiring a round count that will favor a .40 shooter's marginally higher capacity magazine that does not also require enough movement so that there is a strategic opportunity to reload between positions.

So, is it a disadvantage to shoot .45 in limited? IMO, rarely if at all.

Although with the disclainer that i suck. ;)

I had an SV built in 1998 in 45 and have used it ever since. Mag capacity with Dawson tuned bodies and his base pads are 15 rounds reloadable. I plan on sending a magazine to Grams for some of his mag tuning magic as I've read he can get 16 rounds into one. :)

With the exceptions of brass prices and magazine capacity...45 and 40 are on equal ground. Both can be shot well and both are VERY competitive. ;)

• 2 months later...