Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lost Brass?

Dusty

MAJOR matches such as Nationals, State and Area matches are LOST BRASS matches. but most of your local club matches are not.

They probably appreciate shooters "cleaning up" for them.

Edited by C.Keen

In the local matches in my area, we usually pick up brass during taping and resetting. Since it takes ~5 hours for a match, we don't want to do anything to slow it down further. If there are 12 people in a squad, I'll tape for 10 and look for my brass the other 2. So far, I usually get about 60 or 70% of my brass back.

Hopefully, you'll have good tapers/resetters and people who try to get their brass back on your squad. If so, many will pick up all the brass (not just theirs) on and put them out on a table for people to go through. If you don't (have good tapers/resetters), you won't have time to pick up your brass to make up for the people who for some reason, don't do their share.

Edited by al503

I think it depends on what club you shoot at.

Around here most folks treat the matches like lost brass matches. Things tend to go faster that way. Probably no more than 2 people on a squad want their brass back.

Since there's never a buildup of brass in the bays and nobody ever bitches about brass, I'm guessing there are brass hounds that scarf up all the brass after the match.

local matches Around here....

Usually one or two people are assigned brass pickers while others are scoring and taping. The shooter drops a brass bag at the start location and the pickers deposit it in there along with any dropped mags along the way.

The shooters that do not want thier brass back get it picked up anyway and dropped in a bucket. Loose brass makes mowing the bays hazardous.

Later

Not allowed at most of the local matches - not around here anyway; slows things down too much. Besides, with once fired brass so cheap & available these days, as well as Blazer, etc, why bother? Shooters are usually allowed to stay after & go rat brass on their own time. To each his own.

At our club the guys that want it pick up their brass. And there are always the brass collectors that scarf up every piece they find. But most of the guys I squad with only pick up their 45 ACP brass since 40 and 9mm is so plentiful anyway.

I get several sandbags full of mixed once fired brass from my old PD range for free a couple of times a year so I don't pick up much of anything anymore except when I shoot at my house.

My local club considers me a brass rat GM as I check every bay on the range for brass. I probably gave away 3000 9MM, 2000 40's, 1000 38TJ, 1000 38 super & a few 45 last year. I worked a stage at an area match last year and there was not a case on the ground when I got through. Then I got a rake and went to work on Steve's stage and found brass 6" deep in dust. Steve we took 3 5 gallon buckets of brass out of your stage thanks to all the reshoots.

I tried to grab as much 45ACP brass as I could off of my stage...and left all the rest. After running what seemed like "miles" each day while working that stage...I didn't have alot of energy left at the end of the day to get too picky about what brass I was going to fetch.

It doesn't surprise me that you found a bunch of brass....the ground behind the walls was nearly covered with it! :D

Edited by SteveZ

I notice that fewer people pick up their brass at my range. The problem is, we don't have enough compulsive brass scroungers to clean up, and that makes it hard for those of us who want our own brass to find it amid all the junk... :( (and the range looks a mess, too.)

I'm with Kevin. Brass all over the place is a nuisance, ugly and a hazard. If you won't pick it up, at least sweep it off to one side so everybody else doesn't have to roller-skate through the stage.

At our local matches, we pick up brass while we're tearing down then sort and divide up during scoring and or awards.

Our State Match is a Lost Brass match. We were lucky enough to have some JROTC cadets help get the brass off the ground between each squad. We allowed them to keep the brass as part of their fund rasing.

I teach at the local high school and I've loaned them my tumbler to clean, sort and pack it by the 1000 for sale back to the local shooters.

...if its made of brass, it has SOME value...

It's true that it ought to have at least some scrap metal value, but you have to find somebody who's willing to buy it. I've been told by club managers that they personally go through all the scrap cases because the local dealers won't accept it without the guarantee that it won't blow up because of a live round dumped into their meltdown furnaces.

...if its made of brass, it has SOME value...

It's true that it ought to have at least some scrap metal value, but you have to find somebody who's willing to buy it. I've been told by club managers that they personally go through all the scrap cases because the local dealers won't accept it without the guarantee that it won't blow up because of a live round dumped into their meltdown furnaces.

There's a story Barry Pollard told me of a friend in the UK that got the contract to de-mil all the ammo shooters turned in after the various bans over there. He made a giant armored tube, filled it with ammo, put holes in it, set it to rotating and lit burners underneath it. When the popcorn sounds and shower of melted lead stopped, he could dump out the safely inert brass cases and copper jackets for sale to metal dealers. Seems like a pretty low-tech device for an enterprising metal dealer to set up.