Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is It And Where Do I Get It From?

Shooter Grrl

I'm looking at a picture of an AR in the Dec 2005 Dillon catalog, p.87. It's got a magazine holder attached to the frame - where the heck do I get one from? Or what is it called so my search has some relevance. (The search engines don't do real well with "that thing on the side of the gun that will hold my mag) :)

I'm looking at a picture of an AR in the Dec 2005 Dillon catalog, p.87. It's got a magazine holder attached to the frame - where the heck do I get one from? Or what is it called so my search has some relevance. (The search engines don't do real well with "that thing on the side of the gun that will hold my mag) :)

It's probably the Redi Mag. It's on the left side of the reciever, yes? I think the mag catch releases the spare one at the same time you drop the one in the mag well.

Is this it???

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/rm-15a1.asp

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Just FYI - I've had a number of RediMags over the years, and every one of them seems to have some secret "crisis detection circuit" that dumps the spare mag out halfway thru a stage, just before you need it, without you having touched the mag release.

After the umpteenth time that happened, I've switched to the "mag clip" approach. Little metal clip (costs about 5 bucks) that clamps two mags together at the bottom. Functionally identical to the RediMag, insofar as your spare mag is "right there", but it never dumps a mag on the ground inadvertantly.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...MAGAZINE+HOLDER

Bruce

I use a Mag-Cinch. Has 2 straps that you can really tighten down well. Have to be careful about the top round "walking" off of the spare mag under recoil though. I put a piece of scotch tape on it and never have had a problem. I don't like the ones that are actually attached to your rifle.

"The book" on spare mags:

Mag Cinch (Buffer Technologies) holds mags fine. The top round can walk (it does with all dual-mag holders) and you deal with that by remembering to slightly "wipe" the spare mag in on your reload. Or use a small bit of tape, although that one is not my fave. (I try to keep un-wanted stuff out of the chamber, and tape will get there one day or another.)

Command Arms makes mag holders, as does Arredondo.

Redi-Mag (The Wilderness) adds weight, but protects the spare mag and ammo. I've never had one drop, but equipment likes me. I know read-deal SWAT cops who swear by the Redi-Mag. I have one (but then I have one of everything) and it is on my SHTF/COMWC AR.

The mag pouch on the stock is very slow, and you can't shoot wek hand with it. But they seem very popular in the sandbox.

Rase makes a stock that holds a spare mag in the stock itself. Faster than the stock/mag pouch, not as fast as the Redi-mag or Mag Cinc, but offers more protection than any mag coupler.

Command Arms makes a telestock that takes a spare mag holder. It holds the mag where the stock/ag puch does, and looks like the ugliest piece of mall-ninja gear you can imagine. But it is fast. The first time I tried it I couldn't beleive how fast it is, but you have to use your shooting hand to relaod.

What else do you need to know?

If you're going to use a strap-type "mag-doubler thingie", three things to be aware of:

1) make sure that the two mags are positioned, relative to each other, so that the right-hand mag does not interfere with ejected brass when the left-hand mag is in the gun. Generally speaking, you want the top of the right-hand mag about an inch lower than the top of the left-hand mag.

2) When you have them positioned, *really* crank down the straps. If you don't, the mags can "walk" in relation to each other. If this, for example, happens when you go prone and bang a magazine on the ground, and it pushes the right-hand magazine of the pair up in relationship to the other mag, the result can be a blocked ejection port which leads to some really interesting and time-consuming jams. Just theoretically, of course, has never happened to me personally... Note that with the metal "clip" type, the mags cannot "move" up or down relative to each other, so that's one more potential problem eliminated.

3) The various mag couplers (metal, strap, whatever) that "pair" mags side-by-side may position your mags so that they will *not* work with an Arredondo mag well. If you're using a magwell, be sure to try things out sometime *before* the buzzer goes off. Again, just theoretical ;-)

Bruce

If you're going to use a strap-type "mag-doubler thingie", three things to be aware of:

1) make sure that the two mags are positioned, relative to each other, so that the right-hand mag does not interfere with ejected brass when the left-hand mag is in the gun. Generally speaking, you want the top of the right-hand mag about an inch lower than the top of the left-hand mag.

Bruce

i never stagger the mags-besides, having them the same length allows for a fantastic monopod, whether you shoot tactical or open. also, after cinching them real, real tight, i wrap some good old duct tape around the bottom third of the mags-can still get the bases off to clean.

I'm in the one mag at a time from the belt camp. Reloads are under 2 seconds shot to shot after some practice. No gadgets for me, just mags in good pouches on my belt right where I expect them to be ;-)

i never stagger the mags-besides, having them the same length allows for a fantastic monopod, whether you shoot tactical or open. also, after cinching them real, real tight, i wrap some good old duct tape around the bottom third of the mags-can still get the bases off to clean.

outerlimits and I do the same thing , works perfectly!!!

I also think this is one of the fastest reloads while prone.

After several experiments i now run mag cinch's with a healthy dose of duct tape along with a rase stock.

The race stock can be blindingly fast.I've seen the guy that makes em use it and i don't think (as a b mind you)i can reload my sti any faster.

Oh yea he shoots ok tooooooooo.

i don't think (as a b mind you)i can reload my sti any faster

Shot to shot time? We want shot to shot times for the reload with it. 10 yard target, make an A zone hit either side of the reload while timer is running so you are using the leading edge of each shot pulse as the start/stop point, thats a real shot to shot time. Lets hear what the rase stock can really do ;-)

A good 10 yard STS time with a redi-mag, or from the belt is anything under 2 seconds. Down near 1.5 seconds is really smokin'