Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Does Your Section Award Nationals Slots?

rtr

Just curious how most sections out there award nationals slots. Mine (eastern colorado) has a 7 match qualifier series, each club in the section hosts a designated qualifier match for one of their regular club matches, those who tell the SC they want to compete for a nationals slot are then ranked based on their top 3 out of 7 finishes.

When I was MD, the slots were basically "awarded" to each club based on how many they earned through their individual activity credits.

Our SC asked the MDs who should get the slot(s). My decision was always based on who shot the match regularly and helped out. Wanting to shoot the Nats was important as well.

I always thought it was very fair, and the SC would communicate any requests that came his way.

When I was MD, the slots were basically "awarded" to each club based on how many they earned through their individual activity credits.

Our SC asked the MDs who should get the slot(s). My decision was always based on who shot the match regularly and helped out. Wanting to shoot the Nats was important as well.

I always thought it was very fair, and the SC would communicate any requests that came his way.

Same way we currently do them in Ohio

I DO,I DO, CAN I HAVE ONE PLEASE?????????? :D

I think around here, they go by how much you help out on setups and take downs, ROing and such as that. :(

I don't get the chance to help out on setups much, but I help out on some of the other stuff as much as I can. Their are a lot of shooters here that do alot more than I do. That being said, I will have to wait to see if their are any slots left over, so I can get one. <_< That's not what I want to hear, but I think it's fair.

Ronnie

Section Bylaws state each club will hold a slot match and the Section will hold a Championship match. To be eligible for a Nationals slot, a shooter must compete in at least 1 club & the section championship match. Points are awarded 1st to 4th place in each class per match. Nationals slots are awarded in class order of persons requesting a slot.

Paraphased & snipped and does not include all provisions & math.

Hey, I have to edit what I have posted below with some good news. I just heard, (rumor only), that we may get a slot!!!! Yahoo. I'm on the list for it, anyway. At least if we get one, it won't get turned back this time!

Here is my original post: Your sections get slots? Our section got a slot two years ago & the one guy that asked for it wound up not using it at all. Our section has only 3 little clubs & we didn't even get one slot last year. I have asked politely how much activity or how many shooters we would need to get a slot for our section & uspsa never answered. I asked again & they still didn't answer. Evidently we aren't even close to having enough folks shooting to get even one slot. If they had given me a number, at least I could have tried to reach it. Normally uspsa is very east to deal with but on this issue they have been very vague & not obliging at all. Oh well, there is always the waiting list. MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

Our club in Georgia, (which was rather large) used to get a couple of slots each year.

It appeared that whoever wanted to go could request a club slot on a first come first serve basis.

I takes time and costs money to go to nationals.

We ususally had enough slots to cover whoever wanted to go.

If not, the club officers would make every effort to pull in unwanted slots from other clubs in the section.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Your sections get slots? Our section got a slot two years ago & the one guy that asked for it wound up not using it at all. Our section has only 3 little clubs & we didn't even get one slot last year. I have asked politely how much activity or how many shooters we would need to get a slot for our section & uspsa never answered. I asked again & they still didn't answer. Evidently we aren't even close to having enough folks shooting to get even one slot. If they had given me a number, at least I could have tried to reach it. Normally uspsa is very east to deal with but on this issue they have been very vague & not obliging at all. Oh well, there is always the waiting list. MLM

What is required changes from year to year...as the format of the Nationals changes. One year a Nationals might be taking 350 shooters (slots). Of that 350, a bunch of those are awarded to winners from the last years Major matches (the number accepted varies here too). What is left after that would be divided into the total amount of 'mission count' that USPSA received for the year...which would yield a number which corresponded with 1 slot being worth X-amount of mission count.

That is my take on it anyway.

What is required changes from year to year...as the format of the Nationals changes. One year a Nationals might be taking 350 shooters (slots). Of that 350, a bunch of those are awarded to winners from the last years Major matches (the number accepted varies here too). What is left after that would be divided into the total amount of 'mission count' that USPSA received for the year...which would yield a number which corresponded with 1 slot being worth X-amount of mission count.

That is my take on it anyway.

Kyle, Thanks for the explanation. Maybe that explains the vague answers. They knew I couldn't understand if they told me plus there is no real answer if things change year to year. Look up at my other post, we got some possible good news! When you live out in West Texas, it's hard to round up enough folks to have big clubs with lots of activity. The 3 clubs in our section are 100 miles apart! MLM

Good news, I have a slot!!!!! :D I'll be mailing it off right after I get home from the Dbl Tap match this weekend. I better dust of the ol' 9mm & get to practicing reloads! :o Production is tough! Now all I have to do is figure out how to get off work.......hmmm. Oh well, where there is a shooter, there is a way. MLM

• 4 weeks later...

Hate to jump in & correct you, but I helped write the section by-laws & the first slots are offered to our State Champions in each division based on the state section championship. Some accepted & some did not. All remaining slots (including those turned down by state division champions) were offered to clubs based on activity credit.

I though it was the best compromise, because a great shooter could win a slot based on skill, and clubs were able to offer a trip to the nationals to good B or C shooters who worked hard on the local level, but would never win a state championship. Additionally, good class shooters had the chance to win a slot at the Area match.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC