Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Anyone Have Schuemann Barrels In Stock?

Harmon

Im looking for a .355 4port hybrid clark-para ramped barrel WITHOUT the ports machined.

does anyone know who might have them in stock? I would almost go with the ported barrel if i could get one faster. I also want this to be a 1-16 twist barrel...too many bad memories with the 1-32 twist gun tumbling bullets.

Ive sent Wil an email, hopefully he will reply soon.

Harmon

Harmon,

Were you shooting heavy bullets out of the 1:32 barrel?

My 1:32 barrel is a tack driver with NO stability issues, but I only shoot 115gr projectiles.

My biggest probelm was having the 1:16 barrel explode thinly jacketed 115 bullets in my comp at the old power factor.

Leo

leo, it was tumbling 115 grain bullets at 1550 fps.

if it matters, they were winchester FMJHB and MG JHPs.

i didnt like the way the gun shot with 115s, so i shot mostly 124s.

.355-.356 it didnt matter. about 1out of 20 would tumble.

I dont know if this was caused by the barrel being toast or not but the gun doesnt seem like it has enough rounds through it to have a dead barrel.

Then again it could. as is now, it has a cracked hammer, a cracked compensator, cracked firing pin stop and ive already replaced a firing pin w/ a mushroomed head...i dont know how long it takes to do that to a F/P.

im thinking the 1-16 twist barrel will stay accurate longer than the 1-32 twist barrel..though it may not.

Harmon

I had the need for a 9mm barrel to replace my super Schuemann last year, and could not find any. I went with the KKM, and am happy with it. I ordered it straight from KKM, and got it in a couple days. Price was a little cheaper too.

kkm does not fit the slide cut for the hybricomp barrel, thus to make it look right, i would need a new slide.

schuemann barrels cost more than bar-sto, but given that i would need a new slide to use any other barrel, im gonna use the schuemann

Harmon,

Your story is sounding remarkably familiar. The bullets that I was having problems with were the exact Win 115gr FMJHB bullets that you were using. Winchester reduced the jacket thickness and the barrel lands were etching the jackets deep enough that the jackets spun apart in the comp. We initially contacted Winchester and they denied any changes to the manufacture of the bullets. It took overwhelming proof (dissected bullets) before they finally admitted what they had done. They then claimed that we were driving the bullets beyond their design specification (standard velocity for a 9mm) and they could not be responsible for our mis-use. We had been driving the bullets over 1600 with no problems before they changed the bullets. After the change they would tumble at 1530.

You may, or may not, have been having similar problems.

We switched to Zero 115's and the problem ended.

Leo, I shot Remington 115s and MG 115s too and they still tumbled

the 124s tumbled...

im not blaming the rate of twist, but probably the fact that my gun has had 1 too many 180 power factor load through it before i got it..a victim of the accurate arms number seven.

.356 dia bullets fixed the tumbling issue for about 10K rounds, then they started to tumble...with super brass getting crazy expensive, 9mm are more field proven and I needed a new barrel, i decided to go with a 9mm, and the fact i already have a new 9mm gun built, i want the loads to be close enough that i dont have to have two diff kinds of ammo to shoot.

Ill never buy the winchester bullets again..for regular 9mm, rainier or berry are cheaper, and shoot just as good.

Im looking for a .355 4port hybrid clark-para ramped barrel WITHOUT the ports machined.

does anyone know who might have them in stock? I would almost go with the ported barrel if i could get one faster. I also want this to be a 1-16 twist barrel...too many bad memories with the 1-32 twist gun tumbling bullets.

Ive sent Wil an email, hopefully he will reply soon.

Harmon

I am not sure if this information is still correct, but a couple of days ago Brownell's told me they had two of those barrels in stock with the four ports in. (C/P ramp .355 Threaded Hybrid part #836-011-321) I ordered one which is on its way to me for a new build. Thought of buying both, but decided not to be selfish. Maybe they still have it? (But they are the 1-32 twist!)

As for the "undrilled/unported" similar barrels from Wil... I got some ... in back order ... waiting... :(:unsure: But Wil tells me they should be in soon from heat treating. :);)

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

As for the "undrilled/unported" similar barrels from Wil... I got some ... in back order ... waiting... :(:unsure: But Wil tells me they should be in soon from heat treating. :);)

Of course they will... Hell's gotta freeze over eventually. :ph34r:

I was told in December I would see barrels in matter of weeks. These have been on order since last may. Now I hear that a well known gunsmith is trying to buy the barrel business.

We currently are working with KKM on barrels. He is making some for us to our spec.

Doesnt help on the hybrid barrels but to be honest the demand for those has dwindled to almost nothing.

radcat, i just ordered probably the last one...i decided the 4 port hybrid w/1-32 twist wouldnt be too bad, i just hope the chamber is cut short enough for a 9mm.

ill also have a rule for this barrel, no powder that leaves gritty residue behind, or that looks like sand.

Harmon