Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags Falling Out

rtr

No less than 4 times today I hit a reload, seated the mag (or so I thought) then as I placed my weakhand back on the gun and brought it up the mag fell out.

I did some testing after the match and it felt like I was seating them TOO hard, felt like the mag went in, mag catch caught the mag and then the mag kept going, the mag catch then disengaged, but I'm not sure.

Upon getting home I can't seem to recreate the problem. It happened with multiple mags, stock mag button and spring, I don't believe I was hitting the mag release to cause this (although that crossed my mind). When testing it seemed like if I seat the mag more gently it doesn't happen, it's like I am seating the mags TOO hard, although I am certainly not slamming them violently into the gun, just a good solid shove.

This is with beven tuned STI mags with spacers for 9mm.

So is it my technique or could it be a part that needs to be replaced? Gun has about 12K thru it.

In addition to the tips above, remove the mag catch and check the edge that engages the mag tube. I had a gun that would spit a mag every now and then and I found that the edge had worn and was rounded over.

Good luck,

Chuck

Thanks for the info.

Mag spring isn't broken.

I purposely downloaded the mags, they hold up to 23, all these instances were with 20 or 21. I tried to take some pics of my mag catch, only one came out.

It does not look like it has the ledge like in Bob's photos.

Any other ideas?

post-1759-1142228142.jpg

Edited by rtr

You don't have a reduced power mag catch spring do you?

Spring is full power.

Is it possible, even with a gun that works fine most of the time that one can over-insert a mag? IE the mag goes past the mag catch and then can fall back out before the catch can re-catch the mag as it falls?

my mags made a notch in the bottom of the slide. but I had a right side mag rel. and it let the mage go to far. check to see if your slid is dinged

Well the dings in my slide was from practice reloads with out a dummy round loaded

Edited by AlamoShooter

it could simply be that your mag catch is worn. happened to me at the 98 nationals. I kept dropping mag all over the place. fitted up a new one and solved the problem.

also did you modify the grip any, a buddy contured his sti grip and his mags dropped out every time he gripped it.

This was the culprit in my case:

BTW: This photo was taken with my not-so-special digital camera. I just shot through a hand held magnifier to be able to see the detail.

post-400-1142345129.jpg

Edited by ChuckS

Slide isn't dinged, I've ordered a new mag release, we'll see what that does.

Do mag releases need to be fit by a gunsmith or can I just drop it in?

I ordered a new mag release from Shooters connection, an STI, it drops in, one problem is the trigger hits it, making the trigger pull much heavier. Looks like its the overtravel screw that hits it. Mag release seems to be the same dimension in that area as the old one (.090), also old mag release doesn't look worn in comparison, just some areas where the bluing has come off. So any suggestions?

Uh... back out the overtravel screw.

Right, not familiar with 1911 triggers, will doing this affect the ability of the gun to fire or have other possible ill effects?

no,

to set the overtravel, cock the hammer, use your weak hand thumb to hold it and pull the trigger. now slowly lower the hammer and if you feel it rubbing or bumping the sear, keep backing the screw out until it doesn't.