Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 + Bar-sto .40 Barrel = Horrible Results!

cledford

G35 + Bar-Sto .40 barrel = HORRIBLE RESULTS!!!!

I’m broken hearted and was hoping someone might have an encouraging word – after almost $500 invested to re-barrel my G35 with a Bar-Sto cut rifled barrel my accuracy decreased by 100%!!!! That’s right – a 100% decrease in accuracy – I’m shocked! I’d always heard pistol shooters swear by Bar-Sto, I grew up in a bull’s-eye pistol shooting household and there were only 2 choices in barrels – Kart & Bar-Sto – so I can’t believe the results I’m seeing.

Here’s the deal – I sent my brand new G35 out to Bar-Sto to have one of their cut rifled barrel fitted –assuming that I’d want to start reloading .40. The barrel was $215, with an additional $100 to have it fitted, plus about $100 shipping (total for there and back). That equals a whopping $415 and my groups have doubled in size as a result!

With the stock .40 barrel at 7 yards (2 handed, slow fire) shooting at a 1’ paster I will almost always have shot the paster away and have one ragged hole with 4 to 5 of 5 shots all touching one another. At 15 yards (2 handed, slow fire) at a 1’ paster I will typically have a 5 shot group no larger than 2.5 inches.

On the other hand, with the Bar-Sto at 7 yards (same conditions as the stock barrel) I will have a group in the 2.5 inch range with NO SHOTS touching. At 15 yards I’ll have 4.5 – 5 inch shot groups. This is so consistent I can literally swap barrels between the 5 round strings and watch the groups magically tighten or loosen by 100%.

This is abysmal! Has anyone else seen this type of problem with Bar-Sto? I’m shooting 180grain American Eagle factory ball through both of the barrels. Is it possible the twist rate/rifling of the Bar-Sto is optimized for a different bullet weight? I invested all of the money to have a IDPA/IPSC gun that I could reload for and I’m totally freaked that $415 has decreased the accuracy of the gun! Kudos to Glock for appearing to make a 40 barrel as accurate as one could ask for from the round and as far as Bar-Sto – what gives?

Thanks for any advice.

-Calvin

Just have to say, i am glad with my Bar Sto barrelsin my G35's.

Have you contacted Bar Sto already?

When my gunsmith fits a barrelhe does some testfiring.

No way Bar Sto would have give you that gun without proper functioning.

And if so, contact them first.

They have a good reputation concerning garantees

Greatings

Adrie

I second what A33435 says! Contact Bar Sto about your problem, give them a chance to address the issue before Damning them to Hell. I know you haven't Damned them on the Forum, but you probably have thought it.

Give 'em a chance. They have been around too long for something like that to be out in public.

Keep us updated.

GlockSpeed31

I second what A33435 says! Contact Bar Sto about your problem, give them a chance to address the issue before Damning them to Hell. I know you haven't Damned them on the Forum, but you probably have thought it.

Give 'em a chance. They have been around too long for something like that to be out in public.

Keep us updated.

GlockSpeed31

I hear you guy about damning them - and that is not my intent at this point - it's more of an FYI and dragnet for info. I will say however that it doesn't makes sense however. The gun came back dirty, so they test fired it. There is no way it was shooting "1.5" incehs at 25 yards with quality ammo." So, I'm guessing, since I was using what would be considered at least "decent" ammo that is might be a bullet weight/rifling twist issue. You'd think it would be advertised or stated when you buy one of their barrels. I'm goign to call them Monday mornign and see what is up.

No damning right now - just raising concerns.

Thanks for the replies.

-Calvin

If you got it to shoot lead bullet reloads, shoot it with some lead bullet reloads and see how it does. If the factory barrel does better with factory jacketed ammo, then use that barrel with that ammo. It takes about a minute to swap barrels, so if the Bar-Sto shoots the lead well, I'd keep it.

I don't think you can make assumptions about the overall accuracy of a barrel having tested a single load. I'd do some due diligence before complaining.

Try some different ammo. I know that when I'm reloading, there can be some huge variances in accuracy based on nothing more than changes in overall length. I'm guessing that your barrel will respond to some good handloads vs. off-the-shelf cookie-cutter ammo. Definitely call Bar-Sto and find out what they fed it.

Edited by jkrispies

It's probably a good idea to go out on a couple different days as well. I was shooting a stock G17 and getting 1.5 inch groups at 25 yds. The next time I went out it was closer to 4. When shooting off hand there's a potential that it might just be a bad day too.

Definitely try different loads as well. I know American Eagle to have given me good groups in my guns but they're all ammo sensitive. Some will shoot really well with other ammo and not so good with other ammo.

Calvin,

What type of bullets are you planning on reloading (Lead or Jacketed) that made you go out and purchase an aftermarket barrel? IMHO, that the only technical reason I would rebarrel a Glock with an aftermarket barrel would be if I was planning on using 9x19 MAJOR loads for USPSA competition.

I currently own over 11 after market barrels for Glocks (KKM, Briley and BARSTO) and except for the 3 9x19 Major Open Glock's the rest of the barrels werent really needed I just liked the way they looked on the gun (Stainless vs. Black Finish).

I put an EFK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrel in my G35 and it shoots more like 1.5" groups at 15 yards. The stock .40 barrel is also quite accurate, I assume most of the error in either case is on my part.

I would recommend shooting yours off a rest to verify accuracy before you hit the panic button. If it is as bad as it looks, send it back.