Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yes it'll also be USPSA's SS National but things are being run through the 1911 Society. When I called last week, Friday was the only day with spots open. I asked about the schedule too as I was contemplating travel arrangements. I was told you shoot one day only, either Friday or Saturday. Sunday is a make up day in case of bad weather. I also asked about plaques/shoot off/prize table and was told there wasn't going to be any. There is only a certificate of participation given at registration - is that correct? Someone locally mentioned Springfield had offered up some pistols but that may have been just a rumor. I ended up deciding to go to Space City Challenge instead. It kills me as I started my shooting life as a sister of the single stack. I just had that gun rebuilt too. However, Houston is closer, hence less travel expense, and I may end up with something (cash/prize) to recoup my costs. Bottom line, the bottom line won out. :(

Edited to correct my lack of spelling skills....

Edited by carinab

Well, if Springfield is still sponsoring the event, they put at least 16 guns on the prize table last year for class winners.....It was at the very least impressive, and the prize table was done by raffle tickets. Every shooter got a Caspian multitool in their shooter bag.......One of the best matches I go to every year!

Thanks, Springfield!

DougC

Edited by DougC

I also asked about plaques/shoot off/prize table and was told there wasn't going to be any. There is only a certificate of participation given at registration - is that correct?

This is definitely contrary to everything I've been hearing.

Who did you talk with--somebody at Sedro? It may very well be that USPSA is not contributing any prizes or plaques because that is all being handled by the 1911 Society and Springfield Armory, and the person on the phone didn't understand that.

Doug, I believe last year's gun prizes were not given away by raffle, it was a Lewis Class thing where they used the USPSA class percentages as the cut-off points (OK, it's almost a raffle, I'll grant you). :) The class winners each received one of the five custom 1911s built by the big-name pistolsmiths (Heinie, Garthwaite, etc.), if (and only if) they were shooting a Springfield in the match. If not, the class winners got a Mil-Spec 1911 and the custom gun was given to the next shooter down the list.

Richard Heinie has stated that Springfield, as well as some additional manufacturers this year, will again be offering contingency prizes for shooting their products.

Last year was also the year they announced that if anybody beat Leatham, they would get to take his match gun out of his holster and keep it. (Afterward, he made everybody laugh by mentioning that he deliberately used the crappiest, ugliest gun he could find that still worked, just in case that happened. Of course it did not, and Rob won the match once again as expected!)

Great match--I can't wait!

Can someone please help my confusion?

This is the "Nationals" for a "New USPSA Division" and USPSA isn't having much to do with it???

Is being in Korea causing my brain to fog with too much Kimchi????

Liota

Liota,

The Single Stack Classic is in it's 12th year. It has been run by the 1911 Soceity. It has been a growing match where a bunch of folks get out their more or less traditional single stacks and get beat by TGO. You can see the information at 1911 Society Website. The society has been pretty much what the SSD is trying to be. After the SSD was kicked off, I guess there was a decision to merge the USPSA activity with the society instead of competing. I think it is a pretty good idea to get more people to come an play in the SSD. What we have now is a blending of slightly different cultures. Also, the society has been running the match for the last decade so I think the USPSA side has been trying to not too overbearing on the legacy organization. A way to look at this is it is sort of like two divorced people with kids getting married. We are now trying to decide who gets the big bedroom and who gets to use the bathroom first. It will probably be rough in spots for a while, but hell, it is a provisional division. If you need 100% pure USPSA, you will probably be better off in the "other" nationals this year.

Just my opinion,

Chuck

I also asked about plaques/shoot off/prize table and was told there wasn't going to be any. There is only a certificate of participation given at registration - is that correct?

This is definitely contrary to everything I've been hearing.

Who did you talk with--somebody at Sedro? It may very well be that USPSA is not contributing any prizes or plaques because that is all being handled by the 1911 Society and Springfield Armory, and the person on the phone didn't understand that.

No, I called the 217 number on the application and spoke to a lady...It wasn't Sedro. Double Drats that I'm going to miss it now... :(:(

Thanks for the information, Chuck. It just struck me as weird. I will not be attending any Nationals this year due to my current location. Would love to go, but the commute would be longer than the drive to Bend, OR. :)

Your comments make sense.

Liota

From Richard Heinie: "Everybody will get a participation award/prize whatever you want to call it, at registration, just like last year. There will be plaques and there will be guns."

(Note from Carmoney: Last year's participation gift at the SSC was a neato Caspian 1911 multi-tool.)

From Richard Heinie: "Everybody will get a participation award/prize whatever you want to call it, at registration, just like last year. There will be plaques and there will be guns."

(Note from Carmoney: Last year's participation gift at the SSC was a neato Caspian 1911 multi-tool.)

Perhaps the memo should circulate to whomever is manning the phones... <_<

USPSA is going to get some much needed attention brought to the new SSD by hooking up with the SSC. Any observations or conclusions reached as to the potential of the new SSD being as successful as the SSC must be tempered by the fact that the SSC designs stages that are appropriate for the mag capacity requirements of the SSC rules; both in rounds required from a shooting position and total rounds required in a stage. After this alliance, the new SSD is going to be integrated back into the USPSA high capacity leaning stage designs. This will bring back many of the same complaints we have seen before.

If USPSA learns anything from its connection with the SSC, it should be the importance of having a stand alone SS match, otherwise, I think we will see another meagerly attended division similar to the revolver division. I would hate to see that happen. The SSC has gotten it right, pay attention.

USPSA is going to get some much needed attention brought to the new SSD by hooking up with the SSC. Any observations or conclusions reached as to the potential of the new SSD being as successful as the SSC must be tempered by the fact that the SSC designs stages that are appropriate for the mag capacity requirements of the SSC rules; both in rounds required from a shooting position and total rounds required in a stage. After this alliance, the new SSD is going to be integrated back into the USPSA high capacity leaning stage designs. This will bring back many of the same complaints we have seen before.

If USPSA learns anything from its connection with the SSC, it should be the importance of having a stand alone SS match, otherwise, I think we will see another meagerly attended division similar to the revolver division. I would hate to see that happen. The SSC has gotten it right, pay attention.

The only problem with a stand alone match is how to pay for it. The attendance has to be higher to make the match pay for itself.

Maybe going back to a Race Gun (Open and Limited) and Factory Gun (Production, Lim10, SS and Revo) Nationals would work.

The only problem with a stand alone match is how to pay for it. The attendance has to be higher to make the match pay for itself.

Maybe going back to a Race Gun (Open and Limited) and Factory Gun (Production, Lim10, SS and Revo) Nationals would work.

I'm not just talking about a national match, but how it is going to work on the club to area level matches. This is where this new division is going to be incubated.

When we had only Open and Limited divisions there were all kinds of complaints from those who had to make static reloads, especially those that were shooting a SS against a high cap in Limited division. It had a profound effect on the equipment race and the choices competitors made on what type of guns they bought to play with. "It's all in the stage design" was the answer to the problem, we were told. Rules were adopted to limit rounds from a shooting position, new divisions were formed, and still, Revolver division found itself on the short side of the straw. "All revolver shooters have to shoot it the same way" was the continuing cry. In spite of all these confusing machinations from the leadership we continue seeing them stumble forward by changing the rounds required from a shooting position from 8 to 9 rounds, and they bring another new division on board with capacity restrictions that don't square with the new stage design rules they just instituted. HELLO! The membership wants to shoot equipment appropriate stage designs, otherwise, they will gravitate to what they feel is the appropriate equipment for the stages being presented to them. Chances are, that if you are not spending a lot of time shooting in the club level SSD due to stage design, you will end up going to the BIG AND EXPENSIVE matches using something you have spent more trigger time with. I'm afraid the new SSD will suffer, as revolver has.

I think having a Race Gun and Factory Gun Nationals is a good idea if the Factory Gun Nationals limits the rounds from a shooting position to 6 and the total rounds in a stage to 24. Race Gun Nationals can shoot the rules as they exist, provided USPSA can continue to fund 3 separate National matches. BIG if.

Now that USPSA is funding a 3 Gun Nationals it has made it a bigger financial challenge for them to also fund a dual Pistol Nationals.

Edited by omnia1911

there's been plenty of "see, I told you so's" on this subject, but if you look back I whined for single stack div and even offered the obvious that the SSC could be it's first nationals in a letter to Gungames and Front Site.

I think that was in late 00 or early 01.

Ok, so for once, I got it right ahead of time.

Edited by dirtypool40