Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor 40 Load

mmcnx2

I am purchasing my son a Para 1640 and getting him started shooting USPSA. He's 13 and I'd like to start him shooting minor and as time goes on and he grows a little move him to major.

Any suggestions for a very soft load to get the young guy started out right.

I've been using 3.8gr of VV320 under a 180g Zero JHP with an OAL of 1.185 and it's pretty soft, almost too soft so I went up to 4.0gr. But that's with a 13lb recoil spring. You could probably go lower with a lighter spring but I haven't tried that yet.

I'd like to see other people's combination of light load and spring as well.

My Glock production load for years has been 3.2 VV N310 under a 180 gr, WSPM primer,

OAL 1.140. Shoots really soft in a G35. The WSPM primer tightens up the extreme

velocity spread from 30 fps to under 10 fps, and only increases MV by around 15 fps.

This past weekend I used 3.5 TG under a 180JHP for steel in my STI. It was actually Flex's signature Minor Glock load at 1.13" OAL and ran fine. It was great with a 8 o r9# recoil spring.

I think I stole that load from Jeff Maass' site: http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/ipscload.htm

I like to run the OAL out to 1.135...fwiw. I bumped the load up to 3.6g of TiteGroup this last year, just because I usually run with a stock spring and the brass doesn't clear out very far and fast. (Smart money buys a lighter spring.)

Nobody hates this load.

Do be careful loading low amounts of powder like this (especially on a 550 that doesn't auto-index). It would be easy enough to fit a double or triple charge in a case.

The current minor load I'm using for Production in my 229 that also works my P16-40 with a 13 pound recoil spring is a 180 gr West coast bullet (plated) with 4.0 gr of 231 under it, mixed brass, winchester or reminton small pistol primers that makes a nice easy 135 PF. I'm thinking that any 180 plated or lead bullet will be very similar in performance. I have these currently loaded to 1.135".

Vince

I am purchasing my son a Para 1640 and getting him started shooting USPSA. He's 13 and I'd like to start him shooting minor and as time goes on and he grows a little move him to major.

Any suggestions for a very soft load to get the young guy started out right.

I have a P16 and use it in IDPA ESP which is minor scoring.

Use 3.9 gr TIGHTGROUP at 1.185 aol. with a 180 gr Barry plated bullet.

Guns never fails and feels like shooting a 22. :)

pat

Edited by PJONES5

I've notice most of the recommnedation are for relatively fast powder. Any reason in particular? I'm running IMR4756 in my open loads and it would be wonderful to ba able to use the same powder. My other question around the same line is; would a slower burn let me come closer to filling the casing and reduce the risk of a double throw?

I have used 3.6 to 3.9 gr. WST under either leads or jacketed 155 or 180 gr. bullets. Very mild and accurate. May require a lighter spring with the Para 16-40. My P16-40 functioned well with the factory spring and lead bullets but required a lighter spring (forgot which one) for the jackated bullets.

Tony

I've notice most of the recommnedation are for relatively fast powder. Any reason in particular? I'm running IMR4756 in my open loads and it would be wonderful to ba able to use the same powder. My other question around the same line is; would a slower burn let me come closer to filling the casing and reduce the risk of a double throw?

I have not been able to obtain good performance with light loads of slow powders. Usually quite variable and dirty.

I have my son shooting 4.0 of Titegroup with a MG 180JHP loaded to 1.195". Its about 145 - 150 PF. Thinking about reducing it a bit more, perhaps to 3.8. I mean, if he's shooting minor, no sense in over-doing it right now.

I have the P16-40 and this is my setup for minor

3.8g Titegroup

155g LRN (Magma Engineering mold)

OAL 1.15

10 lb recoil spring with one shock buff

Very low report and flash, very little muzzle flip. Similar in feel to a Ruger 22 pistol. You can shoot it all day long.

Hey Scooterj, your load looks familar. You still using it in your wheelgun?

You guys were right. I tested a load of 180 grn MG JHP and 3.5 grns of titegroup loaded to 1.135". Wow! It was like shooting a .22. Even better, was 3.0 grns of Clays. It chrono'd at 130PF but was VERY soft with very little muzzle blast. My son like that the best. We were able to put a 10lb recoil spring on his Sprinco. It feels sweet. One thing I did notice - the Clays loads were not as accurate as the Titegroup. Titegroup was significantly more accurate. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by Jack Suber