Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sam C. (age 12) At '05 Illinois Section Championships

Carmoney

Here's Sammy at the Illinois match last fall. Thought you guys might enjoy seeing it!

(Note--this may load too slowly for those with dial-up connections....)

Sam at '05 Illinois Sectional

You'll notice he does the "Ayoob Stressfire" reload technique, which is very reliable under stress (hence the name), but not as fast as other reload styles in the competition setting. I have suggested that he switch to keeping the gun in his strong hand and reloading Spook/Dan style, but so far he hasn't wanted to change his technique.

This was the first major match he shot after moving from the L-frame 646 .40 (shooting minor p.f.) to the big N-frame .45 6.5" 25-2 (shooting major at 174+). He's strong enough and his hands are big enough now he's had zero problems adjusting to the bigger gun. This was also the first match he shot after switching from the Safariland 002 to the CR Speed holster. He complained it wasn't adjusted right, but I think he just wasn't used to it yet.

Some of you will remember Sam was always pretty slow and deliberate in both his shooting and his movement through the stages, but usually deadly accurate. He's got enough experience under his belt now that I'm encouraging him to start pushing the speed, and it seems to be working! He's proud of the little cloud of dust in the video as he skids to a stop on his knees to shoot through the low ports downrange--you can hear one of our squad-mates commenting about it in the background.

Now if I could just find a way to motivate a teenager (he turned 13 a couple weeks ago) to get off his lazy ass and actually practice.....

Edited by Carmoney

Sam sure looks smooth and handles the recoil very well. His reloads look very smooth also, since he's switching hands maybe he should try the Miculek Reload.

Getting him to do his homework first should be tougher than getting him to practice. Gently suggest that winning gives him bragging rights, and girls that age usually like "Atheletes"!

Ya gotta be proud.

Check out http://www.millcreekpsl.org/photos.html the July series has a bunch of photos of Sam, and one of the older guy too.

Here's Sammy at the Illinois match last fall. Thought you guys might enjoy seeing it!

(Note--this may load too slowly for those with dial-up connections....)

Sam at '05 Illinois Sectional

Now if I could just find a way to motivate a teenager (he turned 13 a couple weeks ago) to get off his lazy ass and actually practice.....

What for he need to practice when his Daddy loading "doubles" bullets for him? ;)

I'm pretty pleased when I manage to get a 14 year old out of bed and into something other than pajamas on a Saturday......go to the range? Yer kidding right?

That's awsome Mike. I like that 6 1/2 inch barrel. One of my boys has shot matches with me for the last 3 years and that is the best part of the sport for me. He just turned 16 and has improved a whole lot more than I have over the last 3 years. Enjoy beating Sam while you still can - it probably won't last. Chris

Check out http://www.millcreekpsl.org/photos.html the July series has a bunch of photos of Sam, and one of the older guy too.

Thanks, Dave--I hadn't seen those yet!

I thought he looked pretty good. Definitely in control.

When you going to quit using black powder in his loads? ;)

Yeah, we're switching over to plated bullets this year to solve that little problem, and to address the issue Waltermitty refers to.

Enjoy beating Sam while you still can - it probably won't last. Chris

He knows I'll help him in every way I can, but he also knows I'll never give him an inch at a match. When he finally beats me, I'll switch him back to the blackpowder loads!! :D

Plated bullets will do the trick for sure.

What was his reaction to the Front Sight coverage? I thought it was cool as hell, especially since he's been mentioned a lot lately.

In my experiences with Sam, he is pretty lo-key about it. He thought it was cool, but it didnt go to his head. He has his head screwed on straight due to his parents.....Now if we could just get him to practice a little bit..... ;) and get a haircut.... :lol: DougC

Don't worry guys,,,,I been sellin' Mike guns on the cheap with the promise he'd keep Sam out of the self-stuffer divisions!!!!! :rolleyes:

H4444

P.S. Hoot Owls,,,,,damn,,,,,I laugh everytime I think of that one,,,,,,sorry folks, had to be at the poker game last week. Mike made a funny. ;)

What do ya mean, funny? Let me understand this, cause I don't know maybe it's me, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? You said I'm funny. How am I funny, what's so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!

X2

"The boy has a lot of potential. Your pride in him is evident and well placed."

"And he shoots pretty good too"

It appears that young Sam has had excellent training so far. Bravo!!!

I watched that video a few times and as a "verteran" at the revolver game all I can say is getting beat by a "kid" will not be not so bad.

It doesn't look like that reload technique Sam is using is slowing him down at all. I am sure through more shooting time, Young Sam will start economizing movement where he can, then after that, he is only going to get faster.

I see a Master in the very NEAR future. Keep up the good work Sam!!

Mike,

Was that kneeling position in the doorway mandatory? If not, I found that position a very interesting choice. Does Sam practice Standing, kneeling and prone shooting.

When I first started shooting USPSA in 94 we used to have one stage per match that would have these three positions.

What model gun is Young Sam using? I will guess it looks like a model 25 with a 6.5" barrel. My personal favorite .45 wheelie.

DVC

Renny

Hi Renny,

Thanks for the nice comments about Sam. Yes, that's my original 25-2 6.5" that I bought back at Riley's Sport Shop in Hooksett, NH back around 1987 (it was well-used even then) when I first starting shooting competition shortly after I turned 21. I've put a lot of rounds through that old gun over the years since, and I'm glad Sam likes shooting it so much.

That stage required the steel poppers to be shot before leaving the box, then the remaining targets were shot through the port under a curtain. Not sure whether you can see it in the video, but you had to drop low to see the targets, so it was de facto mandatory kneeling. I pretty much shot it the same way Sam did--although I managed to toss a shot onto the hardcover on one of those close targets to the left--my only penalty of the match, but one that still haunts me. If I know I won't have to jump back up, dropping to both knees provides a good shooting position (remember Tim Conway's "Dorf on Golf" series?) that doesn't impede access to the moonclips.

I wish I could get Sam to practice kneeling and prone, but normally I can't get him to practice much at all! :) Fortunately, we shoot quite a few matches and our local club matches tend to be challenging with high round count (i.e. lots of reloads for us), so we try to stay reasonably tuned up that way. Sam probably won't get real serious about shooting this year until baseball season is over....but that's OK, baseball's good for him too.

[ Sam probably won't get real serious about shooting this year until baseball season is over....but that's OK, baseball's good for him too.

I have not been bleesed myself but my Nephew is also 13 in baseball. I would really like to get him to the range so I feel your pain.

What I try to stress to new shooters is the importance of far and near standards. Most find standards boring and slow but If one was to break standards down of a series of drills, one would see that most disciplines are coverd in that one course of fire.

Either way you must be very proud.

Keep up the good work Sam!!

Fellow shooter,

Renny