Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Use Wc 846, Wc 844 Surplus Or Virgin Or Wc820pd From Ammo?

WolfFox

I'm looking at plinking ammo. I was looking on Pat's Reloading at some of their Surplus and/or Virgin powders. Also, pulled 223, SS109, 62 FMJ and 223 M-193 55 FMJ-BT. Are these safe to use as long as you start with the lightest loads and work up or should I stay away from this stuff? Just wondering. What about powders from ammo? Thanks, in advance!

WC 844 and 846 for sale are all surplus and mostly from pulled down ammo.

I have used WC 846 with GI bullets (55 FMJBT and 62 SS109 FMJBTSP) and Rem 7 1/2 primers, and it works great for plinking, short range tactical rifle practice and training new shooters.

If I am going to a match with shots at 100 yards or more, I use better bullets and powder, usually either 69 grain or 77 grain BTHP's. My favored powders are VVN135 for the 69's and RL15 for the 77's, all in front of Rem 7 1/2's in Win or LC cases. H4895 works great in these rounds too. This knowledge is all left over from when I shot High Power, but it works so well that I just do not believe in messing with success.

Because cases and bullets and powders all vary, and because barrels and crimps also vary, and because I use moly coated bullets, I do not recommend a powder charge. Start low and work up to some standard velocity, but do not worry over getting the last 50 fps. The targets can not tell the difference.

Billski

• 2 weeks later...

WC 844 is pull down powder from GI 223 and can be reloaded using H335 data. WC 846 is also pull down powder and can be reloaded using BLC2 data.

The WC 844 works well with 55-62 grain bullets. The WC 846 works with 55-77 grain bullets. There are more accurate powders available out there but not anywhere near the price! I use these or Wolf for all targets out to 100-150 yards and switch to 69gn SMK for longer range targets.

Load'em up and plink away!

Bill

WC 844 is pull down powder from GI 223 and can be reloaded using H335 data. WC 846 is also pull down powder and can be reloaded using BLC2 data.

The WC 844 works well with 55-62 grain bullets. The WC 846 works with 55-77 grain bullets. There are more accurate powders available out there but not anywhere near the price! I use these or Wolf for all targets out to 100-150 yards and switch to 69gn SMK for longer range targets.

Bill

How clean is the WC844 compared to some of the other popular powders? Can you even notice a difference? I was going to get some AA2230C, but Grafs just bumped the price up to 111.19 per 8lbs. Natchez still lists it at $69.95, but they are out of stock. Looking to stay within my powder/bullet/primer budget for 3-gun.

Bill

How clean is the WC844 compared to some of the other popular powders? Can you even notice a difference? I was going to get some AA2230C, but Grafs just bumped the price up to 111.19 per 8lbs. Natchez still lists it at $69.95, but they are out of stock. Looking to stay within my powder/bullet/primer budget for 3-gun.

Try http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ they have it for $69.00. Also try T & T Reloading http://216.15.64.227/

Dennis

I've used both. I started with H-335, then went to WC844, no difference that I could tell, and it was cheaper, then I read all about 2230C, and WC844 was temporaily unavailable, so went to that, again, slight load change but excellent powder.

Look for threads on 2230C...Loads in the 25.0 - 26.0 range (I load at 25.5).

For plinking? Sure, but don't stop there.

I use it for my 3Gun match loads. It groups great with the cheapest bullets (Winchester 55's) I could find. Just because a powder (or the bullets) is/are cheap, don't dismiss it. Give it a try, you maybe be $$$ surprised... I think I'm loading mine for ~ 80$-$90 a thousand, and the great thing, I don't have any difference between practice and match ammo. And I use the same load for 2yds or 300yds.

I've only used it with the 55's, but that's all I need (so far)

Over the years , I have gone through several 8 lbs jugs of both WCC powders. I always bought mine from Bartlett in Owensboro.

The stuff works great. It is consistent and meters well.

Jeff Barlett is excellent to do business with, pleasant, reasonable and prompt with shipping.

Also a great guy to buy bullets from. I buy 30 caliber, but he has quite a bit of 223 GI stuff. Don't have any idea how well it shoots, never a problem with his 30 caliber stuff.

Jeff is at:

www.gibrass.com

Bob

Be aware that WC844 and WC846 supposedly have the same burn characteristics, but represent different ends of the spectrum of acceptable calcium carbonate concentration. WC846 is from pulled 7.62x51mm ammunition, which can tolerate much more CaCO3 than is recommended for AR15/M16s. The idea is CaCO3 buildup in the gas tube of an AR leads to poor reliability. WC844 has a lower specified CaCO3 content.

WC820 is pulled from .30 Carbine, and usually is advertised as good for use in magnum handgun loads. I don't think it's meant for rifle work.

Edited by carcass

• 2 weeks later...

The only rifle I can think of that can use WC820 is the 30 carbine. It is generally used for the Magnum cartridges, (357, 41, 44, 45 casull and up). I have successfully used it for jacketed bullet loads in my 610 and 10 mm cases. It is obviously a pretty good powder for the heavier bullets in that caliber. I don't believe there is all that much data out there for the 10 mm since they seem to stick to the more medium to slower pistol powders (AA #7, Blue Dot, Herco, SR 4756) for the hotter loads. *I* have done this in my 610 mostly as a curiousity and since it was in a revolver. I would probably not be as adventuous in a semi-auto (ie Glock, Delta elite, etc).

Vince

Rather than WC820, he may have meant WC8208 which is appearently loaded in .223 tracer loads and may be loaded using H322 data. It is rated as slightly faster burning than 335 and thusly maybe a little more suitable for lighter bullets.

It does have the distinction (according to the Hodgdon manual) as having been used to win more benchrest matches than any other powder (H322).

Bill

The only rifle I can think of that can use WC820 is the 30 carbine. It is generally used for the Magnum cartridges, (357, 41, 44, 45 casull and up). Vince

I use WC820 for all my hunting handgun heavy magnum loads. It is a fine powder and one that I enjoy using. I called Hodgdon up and they sent me a fact sheet on this powder that I use for reloading my bullets. Just tell them what caliber you are loading for and they will send you data. ;)

I use WC820 for magnum revolver loads, and am very happy with it's performance. I havee also just about finished an 8 pounder of WC844, almost exclusively in .223. It does burn clean, is nicely accurate, but my particular lot is faster than H335, so I blew some primers at first, even with starting loads. I believe I have that issue dealt with, but it is something you need to keep an eye on.

Makes me wonder if WC820 would work in .38 Super open loads... $8/lb is pretty sweet pricing....

The problem with WC820 and the 38 super, is you can't get enough into the case to make major. I've tried. Heck, I and another fellow have tried. He tried with 115's, I tried with 135's. Neither of us could make Major. There just isn't enough case capacity to do it. I think the best PF I got with 135's is 150 ish and that was seated 1.250" with the 135's and a max powder charge (slightly compressed). With WC820, you need case capacity and the ability to load heavy bullets, a lengthy chamber does not hurt either. I haven't tried with anything over 135's. you might be able to with 147's or 160's, but I'm not going to bother trying. I think witht he extra long bullets you will not be able to get enough powder in the case to do much good.

Vince