Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is There An A Class Wheelgunner Out There That

bruce282

doesn't shoot .45ACP in moon clips, using a S&W drawn from a race holster?

I was thinking of trying my hand using my stock GP100 with speedloaders and a nice leather holster, shooting minor to start. Now I know Jerry and the rest of the Masters out there wouldn't have a problem at all, but I was just wondering what the non S&W A/B class shooters are using.

Bruce

Well, I am not Mike, but I have stayed with him at a Holiday Inn at a match once.... :lol:

There is nothing wrong with your set up as is, shoot it up and have some fun. Bubber will probably chime in here and when I have watched him compete it wasnt with a 625, and he kicked some major tail using speedloaders, so it aint the equipment! ;)

Have fun,

DougC

Bruce, I ain't an A shooter and just made B cause they think an old F#$t should get a little recog once in a while. There is a guy in Arkansas named Jef. He uses a safairland 002 and Comp three speed loaders and a Ruger. I not sure of the model but the L frame comp III's work for him. He has tried the cut down versions of the Comp III's and they work but hasn't taken the plunge to cut his down yet. The Jet loaders (now from Buffer Technology) are simplier in design than the Comp III's and are a little easier to cut down. You can be competiteve with any good quality Revo, and the Ruger is hell for stout. So as some else says in the forum just "Grip it and Rip it" :ph34r: good luck and let us know any trick that you will learn in shooting revo's

Oh yea I forgot to add that I also shoot minor and an L frame 6 shot 686. Just shoot as fast as you can hit A's :lol:

Edited by Bubber

A couple of guys in Europe shoot 686/586s in .38 Special in minor or major. "All" the big guysshoot 625s though. I bet 610s in .40 would be just as popular if they were available.

I would only use the .38 Special platform to shoot minor with. And I would get it moonclipped.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.....the first time I saw Bubber shoot his 686 at a USPSA match, I started laughing out loud.

I was not laughing at him. (OK, maybe a little, but that's just 'cause he's old and kinda funny-looking).

I was laughing thinking about how IDPA had just created a whole new division because a few vocal people felt a "speedloader gun" couldn't possibly ever compete against a "gamer moongun." Bubber had just proved that notion to be utter nonsense, right before my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce,

I started out wheelgunning with a GP100.....NICE GUNS! ;)

Went to a 4 inch 610 and ran it for 8 months, I'll venture to say.....I can shoot it as well as my 625s and 25s.

The reason the .45 cal guns are so popular is they are the most forgiving as far as reloading for speed and consistancy is conscerened.

I can do a 1.70 reload(not often) with BOTH and hit targets at 7 yds with all the shots....BUT the .45 will consistantly average faster over 10 reloads vs. the 610(.40 S&W)

My call......

Just shoot and have fun, if you want to get competitive you will know when to get in the deep end of the pool....until then JUST HAVE FUN! :)

Hopalong

Just another dummy that shoots ;)

Bruce, I ain't an A shooter and just made B cause they think an old F#$t should get a little recog once in a while. There is a guy in Arkansas named Jef. He uses a safairland 002 and Comp three speed loaders and a Ruger. I not sure of the model but the L frame comp III's work for him. He has tried the cut down versions of the Comp III's and they work but hasn't taken the plunge to cut his down yet. The Jet loaders (now from Buffer Technology) are simplier in design than the Comp III's and are a little easier to cut down. You can be competiteve with any good quality Revo, and the Ruger is hell for stout. So as some else says in the forum just "Grip it and Rip it" :ph34r: good luck and let us know any trick that you will learn in shooting revo's

Oh yea I forgot to add that I also shoot minor and an L frame 6 shot 686. Just shoot as fast as you can hit A's :lol:

Bubber makes the point.

Run what you got. The main thing in getting started in this game is getting started.

I shoot the 610 4" with a 10.5 pound trigger. I am very high A in Limited at 84+% and B in revolver legitimately even though I seldom shoot it, but I am capable of A classifiers. I have done fine with it in USPSA and ICORE. I don't use a race holster, just a DOH Bladetech Kydex holster and Ready Tactical moonclip holders. If I got serious about wheelgunning, I would stick with the 610, as I like it better than all the 625s I have fired and handled. (though Zookeeper's Randy Lee trigger is the best I have ever felt)

So to answer the original question...

Yes I use a S&W

No it is not a .45

Yes it uses moonclips

No I do not use a race holster

Shoot what you like, spend time with it, and you will be surprised.

Edited by fomeister

I agree with Spook. I used my GP-100 in Revolver before I bought my 625. I recommend converting it to moonclips. Call Tom Kilhoffer at TK Custom (www.moonclips.com) and get directions for your machinist/gunsmith to modify the cylinder for moonclips. He sells good moonclips and mooning/demooning tools. FYI, .38/.357 moonclips work best with Starline and Reminton brass. Federal may work but Winchester will not work.

Shooting major or minor is your choice. Compare your recovery times and hits between .38spl and .357. See if shooting a hundred 170 pf .357s causes noticeable fatigue.

Dry-fire your Ruger like crazy. It will both smooth the action and strengthen your trigger finger. Consider installing a Wolf spring kit although installing such a kit may require you to use Federal primers.

Chris