Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Reload

Harmon

I noticed that you don't look the reload in. I wish I could play these in slow motion so I could study them better. One more comment on the side view, next time put the camera on the mag pouch side so you can see what happens with your weak hand better. Damn fast is all that I have to say.

Clay, if you have Windows Movie Maker on your machine (mine came with it) then you can import the video into that and go frame by frame (with a timer on it).

Harmon, it looks to me like you aren't getting on the mag button until you already have the gun back.

I'm wondering if Harmon isn't getting his *eyes* on the magwell, without moving his head?? I was trying to see that, but don't have enough res to tell, for sure... Harmon??? Give us a close up of your face :D

Wow. that LOOKS very Fast.

but everything is very choppy. gun is coming way in and way low. your pushing it for speed very hard. as hard as your slamming it back out the dot cannot be steady.

about 90% of the movement maybe 95 is done with the support hand in the reload. Watch travis's reload (jake turns the gun in his hand travis has a paddle and bump so he doesn't have to... look how little the gun moves.

I can see you've put a lot of effort into that load.. but you can go soo far with an improved technique.

Same comments as most; looks fast, a little lower than I load, but that don't make it wrong.

I agree it doesn't look lik e you are looking at the magwell opening. I can get to that spot too, where the muscle memory is warmed up and I load without focal shift in the periphery, hell once warm you can hit em with your eyes closed....but I have never done it cold in a match so I avoid the habit. :P

Something that may make us all happy: We keep saying look at the magwell, you said you want to move the gun less.

It's a shorter focal shift, and less eye movement if you leave the gun higher up. Put the magwell in your line of sight (like Travis??) just pull it back about 4" and tilt it. PaulW on here is good at that. Then all you're doing is pulling focus back from the target (in Open shooter's case) to the magwell.

I duno, just some thoughts. Looks good, keep at it.

Someday, I'll get around to posting a vid up here too. :huh:

those were the first reloads of the day...no warm up at all. Mike AKA cnemikeman told me "grab your gear, your going to do a reload video.

Live fire i can get down into the .8s with the reload on shot to shot w/ decent hits at 7 yds

Ill work on it some and post an improved reload drill and probably a blindfolded reload drill...that should be neat.

I'm not as good of a shooter as you guys and if I can shoot one A and then do a reload and shoot another A at 7 yards my best times between shot one and two are about 1.2 seconds. If you are doing your reloads in .8 and can smooth that up with some small technique changes you should be at .7 or .6 for a reload. I don't think that I will ever get that good. Would love to get my reloads sub 1.0 one of these days but that's still a long way away.

One question...Why would you ever want to reload blindfolded?

Well, it's more of a concept than a practice. I was trying to dry fire in a poorly lit room, and realize I wasn't getting a real good look at things, but I was still hitting the load. So, on a whim I closed my eyes and hit a few more. It's actually a good check for muscle memory too. If you open your eyes and the sights are back o the spot you started (I use a paster) then you're doing pretty good.

No, they weren't all perfect. No, it's not my regular practice routine, just something I noticed one night a couple years back. You've seen pics of my magwell, how else do you think it got that fuzzy? :P

Back then it was a bigass Ice, so I guess the new ad slogan should be something like "even a blind man in the dark could hit this".

my reloads basically suck...so i probably dont have any buisness adding anything here. but, if the 180 is parallel with your hips, you got really close to it on side view reload. i'd guess 170 degrees. could be a problem if your position relative to the 180 is different.

Learn to move slow, faster.

You also probably want to keep your muzzle flatter (horizontal) in the middle of the load. That reload could get you DQ'd oversees. The muzzle isn't supposed to break 45 degrees.

Some RO's are a bit more strict than others.

Just a thought.

Phil