Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2006 Uspsa Point Series For Revolver

Carmoney

C'mon guys, we need more of you to sign up for the 2006 USPSA Point Series in Revolver Division. It's only 25 bucks to participate for the whole year, no extra match fees or paperwork or nothin'. Trophies are being awarded for all classes, GM through D, plus one for high overall in the division. No cash awards this year.

You can sign up with a credit card right now on the USPSA website. Here's more information on the 2006 program:

Scope: This program shall crown the USPSA Points Series champions in Open, Limited, Limited 10, Production and Revolver as well as any other divisions subsequently established. This program shall not apply to the Three Gun program until further action of the Board of Directors. This program shall recognize as Points Series Champions the winners of each classification in each division.

Participation: This program is limited to USPSA members who are classified in the division in which the member participates by the time the event closes each year.

Annual Registration Fees: All members who desire to participate in this program shall pay an annual registration fee of $25 per year per Division in which they wish to compete to USPSA. Members shall be allowed to tender this fee to the match director prior to shooting their first qualifying match and the match director shall remit the full registration fee to USPSA. This fee shall be annual, non-refundable, fully earned upon payment. This fee shall be retained by USPSA to administer this program and other USPSA functions.

Dates: The program shall run from January 1 st until December 31 st of each year. Within 45 days of the close of the program each year, USPSA shall announce the winners and distribute the awards earned by each shooter.

Classifications: All participating members shall be deemed classified in each division for purposes of this program by their classifications as shown on USPSA records at the close of the program each year. USPSA shall not allow any petition for revision downward in classification for any member participating in this program.

Awards:

Division Champion : Trophy only

GM, M, A, B, C and D Champion Per Division: Trophy only

Qualifying Matches: The following matches shall be qualifying matches:

Area Matches

State or Sectional Matches as approved by their Area Director

Any other USPSA Level III match limited to one match per year per area as selected by the area director from that area. This match shall be one in which no match fees of any kind are waived by USPSA.

To be accepted as part of the championship points series, tournaments must agree to score the match with EZWinScore 2.0 or later AND use the USPSA web based feature to upload the "webfile.txt" match results file.

Calculation of Winner: The order of finish will be calculated by use of the percentage totals for each qualifying match. By way of example, a match winner would receive 100 points and a member who shot 80.257 % would receive 80.257 points. Points received from the Area Matches will be multiplied by two, and points received from State, Sectional, or other matches would not be multiplied. A member can participate in, as many matches as they desire but the point totals from all matches shall include only the following:

Points from the highest finish at no more than two area matches

Points from the highest finish at no more than four state or sectional matches.

Points from the highest finish at no more than two other USPSA Level III matches.

Sure sounds like fun, huh? And it'll be way more fun if a bunch of us participate!

Mike

Mike,

Those qualifications are different than the ones posted in the board minutes aren't they? I read that the other day and got confused. The board minutes say 1 area match, 2 sectionals, and 1 other level 3 match. I thought that the text you quoted off of the web page just wasn't updated after the change. Anybody know the real deal? I am toying with the idea of joining the series this year.

Tom

Tom, those are the details listed on the website under "2006 Policies." They're definitely changed from the 2005 version, but they do not appear to be 100% correct.

They do state that if any discrepancies exist between these policies and the board minutes, the board minutes would prevail.

The minutes state that "the USPSA Nationals will no longer be a Point Series match" and "the words 'other tournament' shall be eliminated from the Point Series policy and in lieu thereof, the words 'Other Level III Match' shall replace said words."

Last year it was Nationals (x4), one Area (x2), two State/Sectionals, and one Other match.

So applying the board minutes, for 2006 it should be one Area (x2), two State/Sectionals, and one Other Level III match (which would include, but not be limited to, the Nationals). Right?

I agree it appears they have it messed up on the policy description.

I signed up. I have to confess that it took me a while to find the Point Series Page (guess I'm in the slow reading group today) and while I have been distantly aware of the program, I am still at a loss regarding the major elements of the program including requirements and benefits.

So I'll play this year and see what comes of it. IMHO, the program is severely lacking promotion for those of us not following it.

The "What's the Point Series" moniker comes to mind. :huh:

Hey Guys,

Our entire 10 man team from Michigan is enrolled in the Points Series, and I have been in close contact with two Area Directors about it.

Carmoney: You are correct, there is a discrepency. The criteria that I have (and it is CORRECT...I had my AD find out for me) is:

1 Area Match weighted times 2

2 State Sectionals weighted times 1

1 "Other Tournamnet" weighted times 1

I am not sure if they are going to enforce a limit on how many of each type of match you may shoot (to avoid grand-bagging and ties?). That may be something else that is added to the mix, as I see that may have been what they were trying to get at in the new policy document.

Waltermitty and Cliff:

There are only 5 "Other Tournaments" currently announced in the country. Each Area is allowed to host one, so the maximum is 8 "Other Tournaments" in the country. They are:

Targeting Education (Michigan) Area 5 7/28/06

Space City Challenge (Texas) Area 4 4/28/06

Summer Blast (Pennsylvania) Area 8 7/7/06

West Coast Dual Championship (California) Area 2 6/2/06

AWARE (Vermont) Area 7 8/4/06

Nats might be considered an "Other Tournament" since it was eliminated from the series, but I am not sure. Maybe someone will chime in on the subject.

Therefore, Areas 1, 3, and 6 have not yet announced theirs. Area 6 AD assured me that they will have an "Other Tournament", but I do not know about Areas 1 and 3 yet. Additionally, I do not understand how the West Coast Dual Championship can only recognize Production and Single Stack. It is my understanding that they must acknowledge ALL divisions to host such a match. They are also only listed on the match calendar as a Level 1 match which makes absolutely NO SENSE!?!? Anyway, I think all this will be ironed out shortly.

Edited by Barrettone

OK Folks:

This just in:

Thanks for the heads up Jeff. It looks like you and others are doing a

good job getting the word out here and the readers had rather hear it

from you than an AD. The nationals will not be an "other" match since

we took it out because shooters told us they would not participate

unless they had some preference in getting a slot.

Charles Bond

So I guess that answers the question about Nationals.

Edited by Barrettone

Jeff,

As I understand it, the whole concept of "other tournament" is now out the window. That turned into a problem last year--matches like the Missouri Fall Classic which were traditionally designated an "other tournement" were switched over to "state/sectional" status.

This year, you need one Level III match for the Point Series, and it can be the Nationals, or any other Level III match you happen to find (Space City, Golden Bullet, MS Classic, Summer Blast, Targeting Education, AWARE, MO Fall Classic, NC Sectional). For that matter, I believe you can shoot another area match and have it count as the additional Level III match (but at 1X).

So it's not one "other tournament," it's "one other Level III tournament"--they're using the word "other" not like in past years to designate the match that way, but simply in recognition that it's an "other" tournament beyond the one Level III Area match that you will be counting for score at 2X.

But I could be wrong. They need to get this clarified.

Edited by Carmoney

Points from the highest finish at no more than two area matches

Points from the highest finish at no more than four state or sectional matches.

Points from the highest finish at no more than two other USPSA Level III matches. [/i]

I think I figured it out.......I'll bet they mean they will only enter the first two area matches you shoot into the PS system, and you get your best percentage times two......they will only enter the first four state or sectional matches you shoot, and you get your best percentage added......and they will enter your percentage from one additional Level III match, and you get your best percentage added.

That makes some sense, because it would discourage (to some extent) running around the country and trying to buy your victory by entering as many obscure matches as possible. On the other hand, somebody would've had to add in that stuff, because I sure don't see it anywhere in the board minutes.

Edited by Carmoney

Unless there is some future change in policy, the term "other" match is carried over from the previous policy. It is a designation given by the AD to a single match within his/her area. My "other" match for Area 5 is the Targeting Education match in Brighton, Michigan.

As I understand the policy, choosing to shoot an additional Area match or the Nationals and call it your "other" match is outside of the Point Series policy.

Gary

Gary. Wow.

I gotta tell ya, this sorta knocks the wind out of my sails. I understand not making the Nationals a mandatory part of the PS, to encourage more participation, but not even allowing it as an option for those seeking an "other Level III" match?????? How could that possibly make sense? And for that matter, not allowing an extra Area match (which we at least have scattered around the country) to serve as the "other Level III" match???? Why not?

The Nationals and area matches are the biggest and toughest out there. The policy as stated in the board minutes could easily be interpreted to include these....why in the world not do that?? As it stands right now, those 4 "other" matches (Space City, Summer Blast, Targeting Education, AWARE) will be difficult for many shooters to attend, for geographical and timing reasons.

If those are the only 4 "other" matches out there, I think I kinda want my $25 refunded...... (mostly kidding, it's not really about the money, but USPSA shouldn't have accepted sign-ups until this was clear.)

Either way, I sure hope a clarification is issued.

Gary. Wow.

I gotta tell ya, this sorta knocks the wind out of my sails. I understand not making the Nationals a mandatory part of the PS, to encourage more participation, but not even allowing it as an option for those seeking an "other Level III" match?????? How could that possibly make sense? And for that matter, not allowing an extra Area match (which we at least have scattered around the country) to serve as the "other Level III" match???? Why not?

The Nationals and area matches are the biggest and toughest out there. The policy as stated in the board minutes could easily be interpreted to include these....why in the world not do that?? As it stands right now, those 4 "other" matches (Space City, Summer Blast, Targeting Education, AWARE) will be difficult for many shooters to attend, for geographical and timing reasons.

If those are the only 4 "other" matches out there, I think I kinda want my $25 refunded...... (mostly kidding, it's not really about the money, but USPSA shouldn't have accepted sign-ups until this was clear.)

Either way, I sure hope a clarification is issued.

Sorry, Missed the AWARE. So only 1,3 and 6 have yet to announce their "Other Tournaments".

Going back to the previous policy statement you will see that the "other" match was clearly set up to be something other than the Nationals, an Area match, or a State/Sectional. These matches have been unique matches such as the Summer Blast and the Targeting Education matches. Of course the Nationals was part of the mix at that time, and is not now. However, there was no change in the definition of "other" match when this years adjustment to the Point Series was made in the dire attempt to stimulate participation. The shooters said they did not want the Nationals in the mix, because of the slots issue, and we took it out.

All a match has to do is ask for "other" status from their AD and I would imagine it would be granted.

In all honesty I think this will be the final hurrah for the Point Series experiment anyway. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Gary

Thanks, guys, for responding.

I didn't mean to come across quite so strong.....now that I'm signed up for the Series I'm not at all sure that I'll even be able to find an "other" match to shoot....in my particular case, I'm already signed up for the Single Stack Classic, which overlaps Space City, and I have a weeklong work commitment that knocks me out of Targeting Education and AWARE. Maybe I can find a way to make it to Summer Blast, or maybe the remaining areas will approve something....

I was really happy when I thought the Board had finally dumped the "other" match thing, because of the fact that a bunch of "other" matches had changed their designation to something else.

I know my feelings are the same as those felt by shooters in previous years who couldn't make the Nationals. And I know the Board was trying to fix that problem. Unfortunately, this ain't the fix.

I guess I would like to renew my request that the Board revisit this, and allow the area matches and the Nationals to be included in the Point Series as additional options to satisfy the "other Level III Tournament" requirement. What could that possibly hurt??

Either way, I'm in, so I'll do my best to play and enjoy the game.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks, guys, for responding.

I didn't mean to come across quite so strong.....now that I'm signed up for the Series I'm not at all sure that I'll even be able to find an "other" match to shoot....in my particular case, I'm already signed up for the Single Stack Classic, which overlaps Space City, and I have a weeklong work commitment that knocks me out of Targeting Education and AWARE. Maybe I can find a way to make it to Summer Blast, or maybe the remaining areas will approve something....

I was really happy when I thought the Board had finally dumped the "other" match thing, because of the fact that a bunch of "other" matches had changed their designation to something else.

I know my feelings are the same as those felt by shooters in previous years who couldn't make the Nationals. And I know the Board was trying to fix that problem. Unfortunately, this ain't the fix.

I guess I would like to renew my request that the Board revisit this, and allow the area matches and the Nationals to be included in the Point Series as additional options to satisfy the "other Level III Tournament" requirement. What could that possibly hurt??

Either way, I'm in, so I'll do my best to play and enjoy the game.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

The fix is really quite simple. Call Chad up and ask him to petition Manny to make the Iowa Sectional an "Other Tournament". Going Level III simply says you are doing a matchbook and will have at least one certified RO per stage. You need to have a designated RM and submit you COF's to national 90 days prior.

Missouri Fall Classic is still Level III, they just didn't go "Other". Did you think about asking them to do so? Ya gotta talk to these guys in your area and make them understand the importance of going "other tournament" because they will draw Points Series competitors. Why do you think I applied for it for Targeting Education? Ask around to all the sectionals in your area. You can make any sectional a level III and apply for it with Manny. I hope you get one in Area 3.

Keep in mind that the "other tournament" is probably the only thing that will insure that there aren't a ton of people tied for first in the PS. Without it, you could go to a couple Podunk sectionals and an area match that isn't as strong of a field and then we would be giving out plaques like candy for 3-way ties atop the leader board at the end of the year. Without Nationals in the mix, we need a venue that is unique to each area so ties are less-likely.

Jeff

Edited by Barrettone

Keep in mind that the "other tournament" is probably the only thing that will insure that there aren't a ton of people tied for first in the PS. Without it, you could go to a couple Podunk sectionals and an area match that isn't as strong of a field.....

Good point.

A month or two ago I did a little campaigning with a few match directors about getting an "other" match somewhere near here, but everybody seems to want to call their match the official "state match" or "sectional match," and frankly I think my request was mostly met with confusion. And I really don't want to raise the issue as to our Iowa Sectional match--although we are building this into a really nice match, I don't think we have the certified staff or resources to make it a Level III Tournament, at least not this year.

But I do understand what you're saying.

Why on earth can't an Area Champs or a National Champs be considered for the point series as an "other" match? It will only count as a single, not a multiplier so how's that unfair? The competition at those matches is likely to be stronger than an "other" money match.

I'm all for making "Other" be an Area or National event. As for Ties, heck there should always be a tie breaker somewhere even if it's a game of "Texas Hold 'em Poker", and I don't gamble! Seriously, an official tie breaker could then be on the strength of competition at the included Area Match of the tied participants.

I "was" thinking of signing up this year, but I'm re-thinking now. Maybe I just need to concentrate on "Going" to a few more matches this year, and have FUN!

Not for me........

I sugested several things that I and some others all agreed would gain more interest in the point series and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears, or is not the way the BOD seems to want to take the series.

After fully supporting it since the beginning I will take my leave of the points series, those of you who still support it and participate in it........

Good luck and have fun.

Hopalong.

So far we have Cliff (M class), Mike (A class), and Waltermitty, Bill Perdue and myself (all B class). How about Doug C, Zookeeper, or any of the Carolina boys (Timberlake, Treen, etc...)? Maybe some Ohio boys (Redmist) or Mr. Nesbitt? We have a nice race shaping up, but a couple of more would really spice things up. C'mon fellas...come out and play!!!

Edited by Barrettone

Alright...We have a couple of more C class guys who jumped aboard, and Tom Mainus said he is registering, so that brings us to 8 revo shooters in PS...a new all-time high!!! Who else is gonna give 'er a shot??? :rolleyes:

Edited by Barrettone

• 1 month later...
Anybody checked the list lately? We are up to 11 signed up for the series. That is more than production, L-10, and single stack.

Up to 12 now.....

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Looks like:

2 masters

1 A Class (Where's D. Carden?)

6 B Class

3 C Class

Gonna be some stiff competition and LOTS of fun...Sure beats the measly 4 competitors we had last year! Lets get a few more...

Edited by Barrettone