Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question About Arredondo Mag Ext. Springs

Mahead

I just got two arredondo mag extensions for my glock 21 today. One works fine but the other had the spring fold over and bind at about the sixth coil. I called arredondo and they are sending a new spring out asap. (awsome customer service) My concern is that the replacement will do the same thing. I read on here that the ISMI Para mag spring works well if you cut the wings off of the floorplate and trim a coil off the spring. So, with that in mind will the 140mm ISMI para mag spring work with the Arredondo extension? Has anyone tried this? Lets hear from some of the Glock guru's about how to make this thing work.

I haven’t used his magazine extensions on my G20 (Planning on buying a few once I see him on Saturday) but on my 17/35 I am using ISMI springs. I have found them to work better than the springs Ralph was providing a couple of years ago.

I just picked up a few base pads for my G20 from Ralph today at Norco (Jojo Vidanes weekly match) and the springs did not work as well as I expected. They actually ended up bent out of shape after loading only 17 rounds.

I am now considering using Grams Engineering base pads for my G20 since SWEDE20 (made GM with a G20) used those base pads with no problems. I would still recommend Arredondo base pads for G17 sized frames but the jury is still out for the G20/21.

Edited by ryucasta

I ordered a couple of ISMI para 140mm mag springs on Friday. When they get here I will test them out and let yall know. I hope this will work because I like the ext. but just don't trust the springs to not bind up right now.

Mahead,

Just tried an ISMI GL3, 140mm (Plus 4) 12 coils with my Arredondo G20/21 Magazine Extension and it was still binding inside the tube. Tried cutting off a coil and it didn’t have enough tension to feed the rounds reliably. I called ISMI this morning at the tech number but they are out till tomorrow. In the mean time I will be purchasing today a couple of Gram Engineering and Robin Taylor’s magazine extensions for the G20/21. Once I receive them I will provide a report.

Edited by ryucasta

Our experience has been that springs that come with the extensions seem to take an almost immediate "set". After having problems with reliability with the supplied springs we went to the ISMI, the 170's, then cut some coils off as necessary. We cut two coils off.

Our reliability factor, G35 with the Arredondo extensions and ISMI springs, has been very good. But we don't load more than 19 rounds.

My buddy (dwt) and I were talking about this last week. he sent off an email to Taylor Freelance:

Robin,

Do you use a different size spring for the 20\21 +4 basepad than for the 17-22 basepad +5 ? I’m having problems with other manufactures using the same size spring in both their large and small pads .

thanks,

dwt

I am, unhappily, still using the narrow springs. If someone comes out with an over-length wide spring, PLEASE let me know, as I'm equally tired of this back-asswards arrangement. The product would work SO much better with a proper spring.

Robin Taylor

Taylor Freelance

------------------------------

I've got a 16-40 mag (Dawson pad). I'm not sure who spring is in it. And, I have a G20 mag with a GE pad and spring.

The GE spring's coils are bent with and oval, where the Para spring's form more squared corners.

The para spring might be a bit more snug side to side in the G20 mag, but there is a lot more front to back wiggle room.

I can't draw any conclusions from looking at the two.

I'm having the samer problem. I got two of the +4 bases from Ralph. 1 spring works great, the other twisted just like Mahead's. I'm looking forward to a solution. This mag/pad/spring combo is great for Heavy Metal 3Gun when more than 10 rounds are allowed.

Flex,

You da man! I had some old P16 magazines that I wasn’t using took out the springs placed them in the Glock G20 magazine with the Arredondo extension and voila it worked like a charm on all six pads that I purchased from Ralph. The only caveat is the these springs don’t hook on to the follower so I will need to try them in a rapid fire scenario. BTW, I was able to fit 20 40 S&W Long in all of the magazines. Again thanks for bringing up the comment on Para springs.

Edited by ryucasta

Keep us posted on how it works out.

FWIW, I think Beven might have his own springs made up. His, that came with his G20 extensions, don't have a lot of side to side play. I don't have any other kits to compare it to though.

Keep an eye on those Para springs to see if they have too much front to back wiggle.

OK, just got my ISMI para springs and installed them. They work great, no binding or kinking at all. they even feel like they are stronger than new stock springs. ryucasta my followers hooked on just fine. So it looks like the best setup for Glock 21 mags with arredondo extensions is to use ISMI PO45 140mm springs. This gave me +4 reloadable.

Flex these springs have the more oval design that you said the grams springs have.

Did you buy ISMI's Para Spring or Glock 140's? The ISMI springs that I tried was the GL3 version which is the 140 mm length spring for Glock. I went ahead and tested the PAra springs that I had and they worked perfectly I was actually able to load 20 rounds per magazine and in 600 rounds fired never a hiccup. BTW, I was emailed by Arredondo today and he was going to have new springs made for the G20/21 followers similar to the Para layout.

Mahead,

The springs that I was using were Wolff's and they worked but they needed a little tweaking in the follower area. I have ordered 8 of the ISMI PO45 today and I should have them by Thursday. BTW, I found out today that GE doesnt have any G20/21 based pads in stock and there is no plan on making them for now.

I have one of the GE +5's on my G20 hi-cap mag that I shoot long .40 out of. Have always reliably gotten 20 rounds in the mag and one on the pipe if needed.

The problem I am trying to figure out is how to get a 170mm mag for the large frame Glock so I can build an open gun project that will have about or at least a 25 round capacity. If anyone has any reliable info about that question I sure would appreciate it. Here is what I have found out so far:

Bevin does not have anything

Robin Taylor claims making a larger extension (+8 to +10) would be a piece of cake, the problem is finding a spring that won't collapse.

ISMI told me to try one of their 170mm Para springs if I could find a larger basepad.

Anyone else??

That sounds about like it covers it...from what I understand (and would do).

BTW, the feed lips of a G20 mag hold a 38 Super Comp nicely. I'm not sure how that would go with about 28 of them stacked into a 170mm G20 mag, however.

Flexmoney, so are you saying that you have seen 170mm large frame mags?? if yes please tell me where. thanks